Buying Thread

When you all were just starting out, did you purchase thread as you quilted (a couple spools/cones at a time), or did you make a big multi-cone purchase all at once? It seems like I'm going to be spending a lot on shipping if I buy a little at a time, but I also don't want to buy thread I won't use.

Does anyone have a strategy for thread buying?

(Bob, I already know what your answer is! :D :D :D )

Thanks,

Jen

I bought a selection of basic colors (white, black, cream, naturals, jewel tones, baby pastels) in So Fine and Bottom Line, and then added several cones at a time as needed for customer projects and my own stuff. When I thought I would start getting Christmas projects, I made sure I had a selection of reds, greens and golds for my customers to choose from. Don\'t forget that you can purchase wholesale at Superior with a business license - it makes a difference! Also keep in mind that they have rapid turnaround time - if you place an order on Monday, you should have it the same week, so you can let your customer shop from the thread cards, if you want.

My machine came with a nice selection, and I purchased some of the basic colors. Then I let customers shop from my thread cards. I have a pen/pencil dot next to the colors that I have in stock, so that way if it\'s a quick turn around quilt, they usually choose from those. I would love to have every single color of every thread, but where would you store it all?

Beth

Jen:

I bought a small selection to start too... Just basic colors... then I was doing Christmas quilts and needed red - fast. Silly me, I used some cheap stuff I got locally, and needless to say, I had a mess on my hands.... Stick to the good stuff. I usually buy from Kingsmen supply.

I agree with Beth, where the heck would you store it?

Good luck will be found with So Fine in the top and Bottom Line in the bobbin....

I use a lot of Signature cotton, because I can keep the price down for customers and it runs very well in my machine. Whatever you get, I have found to purchase 2 spools of each color, that way I have one to use on my stand-alone bobbin winder and don\'t have to take it off the machine when it\'s time to refill bobbins. I usually fill 3 at a time; then I know it\'s time to clean the bobbin area and add a little oil. This has just become my routine. I purchased basic colors and then expanded from there. I usually get from Kingsmen or Columbia River - they are both fast and friendly folks.

Good Luck!

Catherine,

I really like Bottom Line and SoFine equally well - depends on the effect I\'m trying for. Bottom Line is wonderful in the bobbin (of course!), but it\'s also very nice where the quilting isn\'t intended to show as much or at all, as in SID or an allover meander/stipple on intricate piecework. SoFine, on the other hand, stands out a little better, but still blends well - doesn\'t stand out near as much as King Tut or Signature.

Does that help any?

If you need to slowly purchase your thread supply, get dark/light. I have used dark blue BL bobbins on gray, black, brown, and dark blue with good results. Likewise, off-white or beige on lights--white, beige, pink, pale green, etc. The BL is so thin it works great and shows little.

I like to use signature on the top and So Fine in the bobbin. I started out with basic colors then added to the stash. I like the 40 wt thread on the top of the quilt unless the quilting is very heavy or the I don\'t want the thread to show up alot. I don\'t care for Bottom Line because it is slippery and I worry about the knots staying.

Cheryl

Archived