Bonnie's Fab Steam Method

Just to clarify, BFSM is used to kind of suck up extra fabric so you don't have to take tucks, right? Is it only used in borders, or inside the quilt, also? How much extra fabric can be eliminated with BFSM? Once the quilt is washed, what happens to the extra fabric (where does it go)?

Thanks,

Jen :)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used Bonnies Starching Steam Method last week on a some wavy borders...it worked great. I don\'t know to what degree of excess fabric it would work on. The one I was working on was not too bad. The borders flattened out, and I was able to quilt them down smooth and when I held the quilt up it did not appear to have any side effects from doing Bonnies SSM. :)

Gee....I now have initials....BFSM, Cool

Jen...its not sucking it up as in shrinking it...its just putting it back into place where it should have been before all the handling. When we pull and stretch fabric with sewing it sometimes...balloons up and looks a bit puckered...this just makes the fabric go back into place. So there isn\'t any concern as to where does it go when its washed its already where it should be.

No. this can be used anyplace you have a bit of stretched fabric...whether its a block that has ballooned to a D cup or just a wavy border where someone has stretched the fabric a bit when sewing it down.

This actually is a old garment trick that is used in Heirloom and dress making where you have had to ruffle something...and it takes the ruffle out.

I have taken out a fluff of as much as 2-4 inches...example when the block should have been 12 inchs square, but because of the balloon in the middle of the block it actually measured about 14 on way and 13 the other....with a bit of patients and tons of steam it will go back into place.

You will find that times you can only get just so much out, but you should never have to take a major tuck...maybe a teeny tiny dart, but never a major tuck.

Hopes this helps answer your questions.

Jen, I\'m smiling:). I\'ve wondered the same thing about the extra fabric: Where does it go? I just had visions in my head of it all squishing out between the quilting after it was washed. I\'m sure that\'s not what happens but I do have a wild imagination and I\'m a "what if" kind of girl.

I\'m sure that at some point, we will all use this wonderful technique. Thank you so much Bonnie for letting us in on the secret. But, just what does happen when it\'s washed?

I\'ll be watching to see what the answer is.;)

There is a link as shown above, but I am in the process of developing a movie DVD that will walk you through the whole thing outlining both ironing board method and how to do it when still hooked to the frame.

This DVD will also include how to glue a quilt together for those who use a DSM for their quilting. A method way easier than pin basting or needle basting.

I hope to have something by early next year, but haven\'t got a finished date yet.

Bonnie, Put me on the list for one of those DVD\'s. We need more tools like that, that take our everyday issues and shows us how to deal with them. Sometimes just seeing how someone loads a quilt in a different way because of odd edges or using different tools to get cool results. I\'m living on trial and error.

Thank you Tina for the link. I read that and seriously that is all you have to do is spray it with starch and steam it! Do I have to try to manipulate it into place as I starch it or steam adjust, steam adjust or does it magically go into place. I know Bonnie you are a dear and making the DVD and I will get one its just I want to be clear on how this works. I hate to give a puckered quilt and some I have tried so hard to prevent it.

A DVD -- so cool, that will be great! I\'m not good on the initials thing though...BFSM Sounds like a bank, a mortgage company, ??? How about:

BonFab ~~ Bonnie\'s Fabulous Steam Method for removing unwanted excess border fabric.

Sort of like a tummy tuck for quilts, without having to go under the painful knife (or scissors, as it were.) :D

Originally posted by CucumberQuilting

Bonnie\'s Fabulous Steam Method for removing unwanted excess border fabric.

I should use this for the title...what do you think?

Thanks...I hope to get the proofs off to a friend soon in January so we will see how fast I can make this happen. :P

I wish I would have read these posts sooner! I just had a horrible time with HUGE excess borders on a King size quilt. (Why does it always happen on King Size?)

The borders were mitered (big dog-earred corners). I knew it was full, but I didn\'t realize how bad it was. By the 3rd row, I couldn\'t ease in 4+ inches! I ended up tucking, taking a couple pleats on the sides. Maybe the steam/starch would have worked. In any case, I copied Bonnie\'s instructions on a word doc so I can refer to it next time. I\'d love to see that DVD too!

Thanks for sharing Bonnie! And thanks for all those other suggestions, I\'ll be looking more closely next time!

Bonnie, So enjoy all of your helpful hints. Put me down for one of those DVD\'s. Like the abiity to run, rerun, stop and start. Plus, the old memory is not too good anymore. Just quilt mostly for myself and some charity stuff. Also, I need all of the help I can get. Will watch this site for when it is available. Can\'t happen too soon.

Marilyn

Hi Bonnie,

Just curious about why you use the starch?? I\'ve been teaching the steam method in my Beginner\'s Workshops for many years and it does work like magic!

As to where the extra fabric goes? It goes back to where it came from in the first place. LOL Too many piecers are not paying attention to every step of the process as they cut, sew, press. Key word here, is "press". Many are still ironing, pushing the fabric from one side to the other. The more borders they add, the worse it gets. And if there are any bias edges, the problem grows! Here are some pictures from a workshop, showing just how much steam can help. Keep in mind that this quilt was donated by one of the students for the workshop, and that it is a mix of cottons, polyesters and blends. NOT your ideal fabric mix! ;) You\'ll see the completed quilt in the last picture.

BTW, I decided to float the top because there was no way to pin it straight to the leaders, and I felt we could deal with the fullness in each area easier if it was left hanging free.

post--13461898797574_thumb.jpg

Archived