Sticker Shock

A lady called today asking what I would charge to quilt her comforter. She has had it for some time and it matches her pillows, dust ruffle, valance, etc. It was just too puffy and she decided to take it apart and have someone re-quilt it with less puffy batting. She didn't call around to check pricing first....she "sat down one day when I had nothing to do and ripped out all of the quilting".

When I quoted her the price she said that my price seems to be the going rate and when she had something quilted last time it was only $30 so she was basing her assumption on several years ago. She asked if my price included the binding :) Nope!!

I explained that quilting has come a long way in the last 20 to 30 years and it is an investment. She is re-thinkging her decision now;)

Mary Beth--isn\'t that so true--I just had a lady bring in a table runner-which I NEVER thought people brought to a LAer!!! I just assumed that everybody did those on their DSM--and well anyway--the back was too small--there was barely a 1/4 inch around the edge--and the batting was in 3 pieces--I told her I would have to add a piece of muslin all the way around the back to even get it on the machine--and she said--well that was all the fabric I had left in the kit!! Did she think I had more or what--I am not complaining here--just a little insight into someone else\'s mind!!

Well have to get off the computer and add a little to that backing so can get it done on Monday.

Have a great weekend all!!

Terri

I completely agree! I also do dolls - design the patterns, and have made finished product for people... I do charge a lot for them....they don\'t get the time we spend on these things is MONEY! I have a great barn jacket I made for myself and lots of people wanted me to make them for them til I told them it would cost them $120+. "But you said it only cost you about $35!" Well, I can\'t very well pay myself for my time now can I.... ??

OOOps, guess I had to vent a bit too. It\'s the quality of the work, and value of our services they need to look at and understand. I sure don\'t know how to make them do that... You just show samples I guess... any other clues? Anyone?

So, here\'s another story about how cheap some people are....

Last Christmas my mother, then 89 years old, was fretting about what she could afford to give to 4 of her friends. Since they were all "Red Hatters" I bought some of the red hat fabric and made 4 little Hum Bug bags. I told my mother the fabric was on a remnant table and was only $2.00 for all of it. Then I said the zippers were 4 for a $1.00 on a special sale. The batting was all leftovers, as was the lining fabric and the thread I used. So, you get the idea, I didn\'t want to really charge her anything because I know she doesn\'t have very much money, but, I know she didn\'t want a free-bee.

She still has her pride. She gave her friends the bags for Christmas and they all loved them!...not the end of this story -

Well, this year, one of those ladies asked my mother if I would make her 6 for her 2 daughters, a daughter-in-law, and 3 grandchildren. Hummm...I told my mother I would (even though I really didn\'t want to, but, what the hey, it\'s Christmas time). Of course, she didn\'t want just any fabric, she picked out colors and some were to be flowers, some this and some that. All were very individual, as are the people to receive them. So, 6 fat quarters later, 6 zippers later, 6 12 inch pieces of gros grain ribbon, a 90 minute commute to and from the fabric store, then about 6 or 7 hours of sewing, serging and quilting, they were done. I then drove an hour to my mother\'s house to drop them off so she could give them to her friend at church the next day, in plenty of time for Christmas, and then an hour back. Oh, did I forget to mention what the cost would be? Apparently so, because the woman thanked my mother and showed them to another lady. The "other lady" asked how much they cost, as she also might want to buy one for a gift. So, then my mother\'s friend said, "Oh, they\'re just "give aways; they\'re free." !!!!! My mother said that I was expecting her to cover the cost of the materials and my gas mileage. Then this lady said, oh, I really didn\'t think I had to buy them. Last year you just gave them away to us, so they didn\'t cost anything! They\'re just "give aways."

SO...I never got paid for the materials...did anyone think I would have made a profit??? BTW-this woman lives in a half-million dollar house and has a brand new Mercedes!

I\'m really not angry anymore, because everyone I\'ve told this story to had such a shocked expression on their face that I now can just laugh and hope this is just another learning experience for me. :)

Sanda....I\'m so glad that you live in Philly, because I just sucked out ALL the air here in NY......OMG.....I\'m sure by next week I will be chuckling with you, but right now I\'m a bit peeved...

HOW DARE she! Just because her mother cared enough to bless her with a Christmas gift that she would think they were just "give aways"...that borders rude.:(

Bonnie,

After it sinks in a while, it will seem so unbelievable (and of course, very rude), that all you can do is laugh and shake your head in disbelief! This woman is almost 80, so maybe she\'s not thinking as clearly as she used to.

Also, the "other woman" in the story (who asked the price) told some of their friends at church about how cheap Ruth was and the story is now taking on a life of its own as these ladies play their version of whisper down the lane (remember that game?). I\'m still shaking my head on this one. Some people!

Sandy

I had a couple stop by my quilt shop looking for twin size quilts. I had just so happen to have a couple that were for sale for $150 each. The look on this ladies face was priceless. She stepped back as if the quilts were going to rob her and said I was only wanting them for a cabin and was wanting something in the $20 range. I smiled dearly and said that Wal-Mart was about 20 miles away. Pointed her in the right direction and she left.

Oh Sandy, I am sorry about what happened to you. What\'s that old adage: "No good deed goes unpunished." Anywhoo, regardless of her home and mercedes, etc. I think it all boils down to ignorance. People just plain do not have a clue.

Separate type example but nonetheless the same: In my "more naive younger days" I thought it was so fun to just "show up" at a party or event and enjoy myself... little did I know back then that it takes a lot of work and planning for such party and event, same as cooking a nice meal for family, etc. Now that I am really into planning and making events happen, and I have been known to cook a meal now and then, I realize and appreciate the hard work and effort that goes into it.

What I am trying to say is she is probably very ignorant and not aware that this little "hand made with heart and soul purse" was not one of those "made in China mass-produced $3.99 Walmart specials."

Sandy, This just shows the way some people think. If it didn\'t cost an arm and a leg then it has no value. And age has nothing to do with it. My grandmother placed no value on any of our family peices just because they weren\'t new. When she was going to get rid of her Duncan Phieff dinging set I tried to buy it from her. She just told me that I didn\'t want that old thing and proceeded to get 50.00 for the entire set in a garage sale. For her it had no value because it was old. The handbag didn\'t have a Neiman\'s tag sewn into it so she decided it had no value, maybe she thought it was one of those specials you get for free at the cometics counter when you buy Clinique, they call those give aways.

Sandy,

Good heavens, it\'s just really hard to take sometimes - I don\'t do anything even for family because it would take all my time.... I hemmed some pants for my 9 yr old nephew and my SIL thought I should do ALL hers too! And her upholstry, and slipcovers, all FOR FREE! I took in my neice\'s 1st communion dress and made her mom promise not to tell anyone!

When I had my first ad in the paper for BCT quilting services, someone thought "Longarm ....Quilting" meant I had a really long arm and I hand quilted. Ya gotta laugh about that! What the heck was the picture in HER mind? Then I also had calls about doing alterations. I hate alterations!

At least I know people saw the ad!

Sheryl - I just loved your answer:) In fact, today I plan to go to Wal-Mart and get a gift certificate for one of my unmarried sons so he can buy a $20 quilt and some new sheets as his Christmas present. He\'s not one of the candidates for a hand made quilt. :) AKA- Bob the slob. That describes him best.

Shana - We all have done things like that when we were young, before we gathered the wisdom that a few more years brings to us. Mom\'s friend, Ruth, is just plain rude. You were not in that same category as Ruth...yours was youth. (a rhyme?)

Jill- Flemmington isn\'t very far from Philadelphia. Lunch in New Hope or Peddler\'s Village sometime? Maybe in the spring? There\'s a wonderful little place in New Hope called Wild Flowers. Think about it and let me know.

Kenna - They all had a "Darlington" tag sewn into them, but that is a far cry from Neiman\'s!

Bobbi - I was trying to visualize that one, too. How funny!

Thank you all for your comments. I enjoyed reading them. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Monday will be here all too soon.

Sandy

$150.-300.00 for a full sized quilt????? Have you broken it down to see what your time is worth per hour??I just completed a 53x55 throw for a woman who wanted a quilt for her dad for christmas. I told her she would have to bring the supplies needed ie.batting background backing etc. before I could even start. She had no idea of what she wanted as she does not quilt and "can\'t really even sew" I told her what I thought would look nice (She gave me a bag of her grandmother\'s vests and 1 skirt) and gave her my price of $300. She did not even batt an eye!! I guess my point is - charge for your time and have them supply what you need! Then just enjoy your craft!! i have many repeat customers that trust my judgemnt and have commissioned me more thatn once! & they tell their friends about me!! I tried to post pics of it but CANNOT figure it out!! Any way I fussy cut the usable vest fabric in blades for a Dresden plate (4) I even used the buttons in the centers! Looks wonderfull I wish i could post the pics.

Sewhappy

I have enjoyed reading all the stories and thought that I would jump in with one of mine. Several years ago (more than I want to admit) I had several "homemade" jumpers that I machine appliqued. One of my friends at work kept stating that she wanted me to make her one and I kept saying no. Finially I got tired of saying no and gave her an option. She supply the pattern, the fabric--and not that cheap Wally World stuff would go through my machine, the thread, and a specific per hour for my time. I then proceeded to give her an estimate of what the cost would be. The look on her face was priceless. She just turned around and walked away. I never was asked to make anything for her again. By the way this was someone in their twenties. It doesn\'t have to be someone old and senile.

I put the homemade in quotes because I prefer to use "exquisitely hand crafted".

Pamela

Pamela,

Great story. People who buy at the box-mart stores don\'t have any understanding of what we do, or an understanding of the difference in the quality of our products.

Sandy

PS-I just came home from Wal-Mart :) But, I understand the difference in hand crafted items. I bought a gift certificate for my son who knows the difference, but doesn\'t treat things with the care they deserve. So, it\'s Wal-Mart for him until he grows up. Hummm...he\'s 33 now, maybe there\'s no hope for this one. LOL

You guys are all so funny! Thanks MaryBeth for starting this thread! It warms my heart and makes me laugh! Here I thought I was the only one to have the dread "sticker shock" problem.

I\'m going to my first "Buckeye Machine Quilter\'s" meeting on Wed, the 12th in Zanesville. I am excited to finally have an opportunity to meet more quilting friends. It\'s been years since I owned my store, and I miss it and the comraderie you have with quilters and sewing friends. this is the stuff Christmas is made of for me...

Sandra, they really do grow up at some point, 2 of my sons are in their forties, and really value the quilts I have made for them over the years... it\'ll happen! (but maybe when he gets married!)

-b

Bobbi,

Thanks for the glimmer of hope. :) He has a girlfriend and they have been dating for about 3 or 4 years. I really like her, too, but so far there is no talk of marriage.

He works full time and is going to night school and she is a firefighter. I guess because of their schedules and lifesytles they are in constant motion and a wedding is not on their minds, and I suppose children are even further away in their thoughts.

I think I will give him a call tonight. I miss him! I live in Philadelphia and he lives in Los Alamos, NM. I don\'t get to see him that often since he moved there about 6 years ago. (:

Sandy

Sandy,

I only get to see my one son in CA every two years... He and his wife have my two grandsons. (not that I am old enough to have grandsons) and my other son is in Chicago... he\'s 42 and no prospects at this time. He\'s an awesome man, and visits me a couple times a year or I go there. Your son will come around when he\'s ready... He sounds like a good man too, I know it\'s hard to have them so far away. Especially this time of year.

OK, so we\'re not so darned grown up ourselves..... now I\'m all teary eyed wishing for family here! Just remember, they all come around at some point. I figure the ones who gave you the most problems when you were raising them make the most interesting adults! (mine weren\'t bad, but I raised them alone, so it was a challenge) Your son sounds like a really interesting guy and look... he\'s back at night school to boost his career! You just can t ask for more. (Well, at least he\'s not unemployed living off you and your DH!) HA

It\'s beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

Wow! Yes, I\'ve met the cheapskates, too. Somehow they think custom hand made means it should be cheaper than WalMart. They get a quick education from me. I tell them the are paying for a family heirloom that can be passed down through the family for generations. I explain how much time goes into constructing the top, then quilting and binding it. I also explain the cost of the fabrics.

Commission quilts start at $1200 for a queen if it\'s a simple pattern for the top. It goes up from there. That stops all but the serious people which is fine with me. I\'d rather put my time into quilting than piecing tops for people. I will only spend that kind of time and energy for friends and family or someone who really appreciates the value and labor that goes into this type of quilt. I\'ve only done one commission quilt (King) this year for a friend and I charged $550. I lost money big time on that. I ended up working for about $3/per hr. Never again. The quilting (custom), binding, and fabric came up to that amount without the labor!

Live and learn. If I want to work for nothing, I would never get my machine paid off!

I think we have all had episodes like those described. My favorite was a lady that brought 2 tops to me that she brought at garage sales for 10-20 each. They were both poorly made with cheap fabrics which was a concern from the start. Also another non-sewer. She said she wanted as inexpensixe (oh wait, she said CHEAP!) as possible, so with batting, backing (muslin) binding and quilting, they came to about $130 each (twin size). And she said, "oh, no, I said I wanted the cheaper quilting......"

ARGH! I asked her if anyone she knew would work for less than $50 a day??? If so, then they could quilt them for her, lol....

Archived