Customer's last minute Xmas Quilt (pics)

Wow,

A new customer (I just finished 2 for her) came by with a Southwest Quilt she made in a class. She had given the top to her son for his 21st birthday. She wanted it custom quilted for him for Christmas. (I have 3 customers who give tops for B-day and quilt them for Christmas!) She does a great job of piecing and I was able to fit it in.

She wanted Kokopelis (large) on it. Wasn't sure about the thread choice I suggested. She brought me a drawing she had seen done on another quilt from the same class. I told her it was kinda plain because it was just an outline. (I drew another one, later.) Then I told her he needed dressed up. She had no idea what I meant, but trusted me. When she picked it up, she was speechless. She looked at it with her mouth open for about 30 seconds, then finally said, "OMG"! She loved it. Whew, when she was so quiet for so long I started to hold my breath thinking, "Uh oh, she doesn't like it!" She was thrilled and that made me so happy. I love it when a customer has no idea what you're going to do with something and you exceed their expectations. It's a great feeling and that's one of the many perks that come with this job. Kinda makes the difficult customers just disappear.

SW1.jpg

SW4.jpg[/img]

SW3.jpg[/img]

Thanks! I just drew it on a plain piece of paper, poked holes in the paper with a small ahl and marked it with a chalk pencil. I kinda did a dot-to-dot while sewing to outline and just did the rest freehand. I kinda made it up as I went. If you like, I\'ll send you a copy of what I drew. Just U2U me your address and I\'ll photocopy it and mail it. I could try scanning it and putting it up here like a picture, I just don\'t know how that would work.

Merry Jo,

Your artistic talents are awesome! What a great drawing!

And I love the colored thread too. It adds a whole new dimension to your drawing. The quilt turned out just perfect!

It inspires me to try some simple drawing designs on quilts and move into other areas of quilting besides overall designs that I favor doing most of the time.

Thank you for sharing your customer project, and taking such good pictures! Beautiful quilting!

MerryJo,

Great job on this quilt. Love the detail in the kokopellis.

Your customer must be in one of Janet\'s classes at Palomar or Escondido. We did this quilt in Janet\'s class in Ramona this year, too. It was a big hit. I quilted 5 or 6 of them from my class. They all have kokopellis (except mine). I used the outline, no detail like yours. I drew them on paper and then lasered them like a panto. I love the thread you used on your kokpellis, it really makes them pop.

A huge thank you to all who have contacted me about the pattern. I mailed them out today. If anyone else is interested, just e-mail or U2U me your address and I will put them in the mail for you. I love Southwest designs (personal favorite) and this was a really fun quilt for me. I loved drawing the design and I\'m more than happy to share. I\'m just always shocked when someone wants something I did when I see all the creativity on this board. What\'s fun is we can all learn form each other!

Archived