variegated thread-back not looking so good

I just completed my first custom quilt with King Tut Josephs Coat (top and bobbin). The front isn't perfect but just ok. The back looks terrible. The top fabric is colorful and the bottom fabric was mostly white with colorful stars. The back shows every bobble and the top thread shows through(dots) on the bottom. I gradually tightened the top thread as much as possible. NOt sure what customer will think. Next time I'll suggest a more forgiving backing. She's a friend so maybe she'll let it slide. I think I'll stick with meandering and pantos for a while.

Any words of wisdom about using variegated thread??

Oh Gosh, Michelle, I\'m sorry you aren\'t happy with it.. about all I can suggest is stick with it. shake out that quilt, manhandle it real well, sorta like fluff it up with your hands, snap shake it, etc.. that will sometimes pull the naughty thread into line so it doesn\'t show nearly as much. I used King Tut on top and prewound in the bobbin and didn\'t even have to adjust the tensions.. wish I could help more.

Good Luck.

RitaR

Okay, first be advised that I am in NO WAY an expert, but for what it\'s worth, I do run nothing but what some people would call "fussy" threads. Rainbows, Glitter, Highlights, stuff like that. And so far, knock on wood, I\'ve been able to get good tension w/my new Freedom SR like I did on my Proto.

Now, I haven\'t run any King Tut. Mostly because it\'s expensive, but I hear quite a few folks having trouble with it. That may be contributing to your troubles. I plan to give the sample that came with my machine a try as soon as I have a project that it will look good on so I\'ll have more useless info after that.

These APQS machines seem to take VERY little tension, especially compared w/my previous machine (2 and 1/4 wraps on it\'s tensioner). I run my bobbin tension by the "drop" test (I\'ve ordered a TOWA gage. Figured I\'d give it a try since so many people swear by them) not the perfect way I\'m sure, but I\'ve been able to achieve good tension for 4 years this way.

With the drop, I set my bobbin loose enough that when I let go it falls, no jerking required. I only tighten it if I can\'t loosen the top any more without getting bubbles (random loose stitches on the top).

When I test drove a Freedom before buying mine I kept breaking thread and was really discouraged, then I talked to my gal-pal Danetta Burnett/ Quilt Crazy who has a Millie and she told me to just keep loosing the top. Even to where the nut is extended out past the bolt by 1/8 of an inch. She runs every freaky thread on the planet and has good tension so I believe her. So far it\'s worked with my Freedom too.

The weirdest point was when I was running Glitter holographic thread on top and had breakage. The bobbin was already set loose enough to free fall, but I loosened it a bit more so I could loosen the top more and wa la no more breakage and great tension and stitches. Very hard for me to grasp that it can stitch so loose, but it does.

So I guess to sum up, I\'d say just keep playing with it.

Don\'t give up on freehand before you try a different thread. :D

Good luck and keep us posted!

I\'m with Traceye - don\'t give up on freehand just \'cause the thread tension wasn\'t everything it could have been! One doesn\'t really affect the other - if the tension is off, it\'ll be off for pantos and meandering, as well. Quilt what comes from your heart - and your imagination!:P Using a busier back will hide some of the tension issues, so it will probably make you happier, at least for now.

As for the tension issues, I still find it hard to loosen the top (and bottom) tension as much as it probably should - still fight battles with thread breakage, get it loose enough, then wind up tightening it up before the next project. You\'d think I\'d learn......:( Maybe I\'ll make myself a big sign to put on the front of my Millie: "Loose is OK!"

Tracye,

My machine also has to have non existant top tension basically. My nut is way out past the screw and there is no tension basically no matter what thread I use. I keep my bobbin as loose as possible, and still have tension issues sometimes; but not with King Tut. I usually can run that one pretty easily. I have never been able to run Rainbows or Highlights though. Any suggestions.

Teresa, it sounds like you already do what I do with running REALLY loose. What does the Rainbows do? Break? Or just bad tension? I use Maxi Loc almost exclusively for the bobbin. The only exception is for a better color. I don\'t know if that makes a difference.

I actually tightened up my bobbin on the undersea quilt just to see what it would do (Rainbows on top and the bobbin was showing) and it didn\'t hurt anything. It does really vary from quilt to quilt. That one had flannel as a backing and cotton batting, I\'m sure that made a difference.

One thing that I\'m really having a hard time getting used to is using a #4 needle. The needle holes drive me crazy! What looks to be pokies is often just a big hole. I went and got my little magnifing mirror from the bathroom. I have a light under my table shining up so I can see under there better, and it has even made Rainbows look metalic w/the light coming through the holes. Freaked me out.

I used a #3.5 (my usual w/the old machine) for a while in the beginning and it did fine I think, but when I was having breaks w/the Glitter I switched back to the 4 before I loosened the bobbin PAST falling freely to the floor. I may switch back to the 3.5 . I\'m having to learn what is tension and what is just see thru. I only really get an accurate look after it\'s off the machine. Hmm maybe I need zippers. LOL

The reason why I broke down and bought a Towa after 4 yrs of living w/out it is because I want to have a number for looser than loose, not just a guess.:P

I\'m looking forward to playing w/the King Tut. I almost don\'t want to like it since it\'s so pricey. :D

Hi Michelle,

I read/heard somewhere that attempting to use varigated thread on the top and bottom doesn\'t always work because you see every little bobble. The suggestion was to use a solid color bobbin thread in a mid range tone for the bobbin. My customers often say that they want the varigated on the back as well, but I re-direct them. Good luck to you.

Beth

Tracye,

I have some King Tut here that I bought at Paducah, thought I liked the color, but then I didn\'t. If you want, I\'ll send you that spool to play around with and you can decide if you like it or not.

Thanks for the tips. The problem with the Rainbows is that it breaks every few inches. Aggravating as all you know what. If I get to buy a new machine I\'ll have to try it again.

I stopped useing varigated thead in my bobbin a long time ago for the very same reason. Not to mention that it is pretty pricey compared to one color thread. I usually choose a color that goes best with the varigated thread and use that in the bobbin.

I have been recomending backings that are a busy print and are the same color or at least blend with the threads on the back of the quilt.

Teresa, I can\'t wait to get my Towa and find out what setting "less than zero" is for my bobbin.

I\'m getting ready do do a customer quilt w/maxi loc red solid on top and maxi loc tan varigated on the back as the back is a tannish gold solid and we didn\'t think red in the bobbin would be all we hoped for.

Yes, I know, I\'m crazy, and I\'m taking Advil before I start. ;) I got the tension right on a practice piece, but I had to loosen the bobbin to 15 min (turn wise) looser than "fall to the floor by itself". I would like to know a number for that, but it took that much to be able to see a bit of the bobbin thread on top so I could back off the top tension. I would love for you to try Rainbows again and just keep loosening the bobbin until you can see it on the top w/out the top thread breaking. Did that make sense? When I was testdriving a Freedom I couldn\'t run Rainbows w/out it breaking. With this maximum loosening theory it works.

You are such a sweetheart to offer your King Tut! Save it! That stuff is pricey, and I have a partial cone that came w/my machine to mess with. I can\'t wait to have something to use it on, it\'s really pretty, but if I end up liking it it\'ll become a new "vice" since it costs so much. :P

I hope you can make the Rainbows work some day. I\'d be lost w/out it, it is my absolute favorite thread.

Angels on your body.

Teresa,

You asked for a few suggestions on running Rainbows and Highlights, so here goes:

1) Be sure to use a needle with a large eye, such as a 4.0 needle (or even try going up to a 4.5), to reduce the flexing that can cause thread breakage. This is especially important if you notice the thread breaks more frequently when moving in a certain direction (probably to the left and away from yourself, when on the free hand side).

2) Even though it seems illogical, loosen the top thread considerably. I mean A LOT. Do the same to the bobbin thread. Rainbows DOES run better with very little tension on both threads. See if you can force the bobbin thread up to the top, then tighten the bobbin tension slightly to pull the Rainbows back into the quilt\'s layers.

3) Try to slow down. As faster speeds increase the friction on the needle as it enters and exits the fabric, the needle heats up. This heat causes the top thread to fray and break.

4) Use a fine bobbin weight thread, such as Bottom Line.

5) Be sure the two thread guides do not have notches or grooves in them, which will increase shredding and breakage.

6) Keep the quilt sandwich on the "looser" side, not too taut between the rollers.

7) It is possible to get a bad spool of thread. Be sure you try more than one color of Rainbows to eliminate the spool as the problem. Most often, it\'s mostly getting the right top/bottom tension balance, but I\'ve had a bad spool fight me and break every 3-4 inches.

Give it one more try and see how it goes!

I have no trouble running any thread if I am patient and test out the tensions. It\'s amazing how much you loosen tension to get the best stitch on my Millie! My first quilt was King Tut top and bobbin and no worries anywhere. After nearly a year of usinging Signature Machine quilting and various other threads, I started running Rainbows on a few smaller quilts and was delighted. The only thread issueI have had is trying to wind bobbins with Botttom Line... They don\'t behave on my bobbin winder. May give it another try by winding on my Bernina. Persistence and sometimes just rethreading the machine will solve the bobbin/thread dilemmas. Hang in there.

• 1 month later...

I have tried to use varigated several times and I have not had any luck. I have never put it in the bobbin, just top thread. I will NEVER use it again. I will put it in the bobbin and try it on one that I am soing for myself. I loosed my tesion and everything I can imagine. all my friends have trouble too and they have a different kind of machine.

I am SO CONFUSED!!! I\'m just getting in the swing of this thing and am wondering which threads are "Have-to\'s" and "Gotta-haves". There are so many brands and colors I\'m in a tailspin over this.

I have my Millie Rose and she\'ll sew anything with anything I think...thank goodness. I have only had one thread foible since I bought her...I bought 5 huge spools off EBAY and she protests at them...I might try them again now that I\'m more \'experienced\'..oh, yeah!

I\'ve yet to wind a bobbin On or FOR Millie. It has the bobbin winder on it, but so far I\'ve used \'pre-wound\' bobbins. I like a muslin backing for most of my quilts so the off-whites work really well in the bobbin. The one problem I have is locating "COLORS" in the bobbin area. Some say that winding your own bobbins makes the job look better than using pre-wounds..I don\'t think Ms Millie could do any better than she\'s doing now. I have NO complaints at all...eXCEPT..there is a loud vibration noise on the top back side...wish I could get that quiet.

Any clues? My question...How many spools and how many colors should I have on hand, and also sizes?

Archived