customer for me

One I\'m not sure I want. The same lady, the no show, calls today out of the blue and asks me if I still want to do the quilts for her. I told her I would meet her in town at 2:00 and if she wasn\'t there by then she\'d have to find somebody else to do it.

So she shows up at 2:00 with this black plastic garbage bag with a "quilt" in it. It is a piece of cheater cloth, 90 x 104", partially hand quilted with thin poly batting and brown batting. She wants each block outlined like she already started, she says. I tell her that is custom and costs twice as much as edge to edge. She says just do penny an inch on it. I told her it would cost her to have me take apart what she had already done, she said okay. We agree on $20 for me to rip out the two blocks she hand quilted (looks more like a basting stitch).

well, we\'re discussing all this in downtown, in the parking lot of the courthouse. She signs and agrees to everything. I have my son help me double check the measurements on the quilt and everything is good. Looks like we\'re in business.

But I get the quilt home and notice, in my non-smoking house, that this thing stinks. RIght now it\'s hanging over the shower rod of the back bathroom, with the window open-trying to get the smoke smell out of it.

I didn\'t ask her about the trip to the other quilter, and she didn\'t volunteer any information, but she did give me only one top when there were supposed to be 4.

She also brought the DWR to show me. It is so pretty. SHe got it at a yard sale for $1.00. It is very well made, in greens and pinks. She asked me what she needed to buy for backing and batting, so we measured it and I made her a list to take to Hancocks, so she can buy 108" backing and a king size batting.

She told me she would bring that one to my house next weekend. I told her I\'d have the other one done by then.

We\'ll see what happens. She may turn out to be a good customer, just eccentric. You never know. I\'ll think positive thoughts and do the best I can do with what she gave me to work with.

Oh, and for the record, she is not getting anything extra on this cheater cloth. She only wants to pay a penny an inch, so she\'s getting meandering or something similar. I usually do something a little extra on a first time customer\'s quilt, but I figure she already inconvenienced me earlier in the week and she didn\'t apologize.

Teresa, I am concentrating so hard my eyes are squinty!!! I am sending you good vibes/auras/prayers/hopes/supplications/love/faith that you are turning the corner on your business.

I love that you stood your ground with this "interesting" customer.

I have a library of DWR designs from my research and will be happy to forward them all to you if she comes through with the DWR (and if she is willing to pay for it!) Let me know.

Hopefully hopeful,

Linda

Teresa, I just had this exact problem with a quilt I got off ebay. The seller worked with me and told me to put 1/2 bag of kitty litter in a plastic bag--I used a blanket bag, then put some tissue paper on top, then put the quilt on top of the tissue. Seal it up and leave it for a couple of days. Use the triple strength kitty litter. I was skeptical, but three days later, I opened the bag and there was no smoke smell left. I was amazed. I tried the soap method and it did not work for me. The kitt litter did. Good luck

Nancy

Teresa, There was a post on here about musty clothes and how to get the smell out. The lady

had lots of suggestions but if I remember, this is what worked for her. Coffee grounds and

then put the item in the garbage bag. She said it worked great with the musty smells which are near

impossible to get out.

Michele

Teresa...There is a product that is made by ZEP...that is specially made to remove smoke damage. IT is really good, and its the only thing that I used in my non-smoking studio. I use to get it at Home Depot in the cleaning department.

I\'ll chime in and agree with Nancy. Our first home was a used single-wide trailer in which the owner shut off the electrictiy with food still in the refrigerator. Talk about odor!!! We put kitty litter in it and shut the door. NO smell at all.

Another thought -- borax worked great with my oldest daughter\'s cloth diapers, also mattress odors when the kids wet the bed.

Archived