NQR - Spring is here! W/Pics

Bluebonnets are the State Flower of Texas. I\'ve never seen them growing anywhere else. It\'s illegal to cut, mow, or pick them so you see them on the roadside, and growing in batches in yards, and fields full of them. If you\'ve ever seen phtos on cards or in paintings those aren\'t phoney or doctored prints, they really do grow that way. This is how we know Spring has Sprung in Texas!

post--13461899422403_thumb.jpg

OK! I get it... you can\'t mow them, it\'s illegal, so do people (accidentally) toss several bags of Bluebonnets seeds on their lawns in hopes that their lawns will turn into large fields of flowers? Hmmm...that\'s one way of getting out of mowing the lawn, eh?... :cool:

Here in Alaska, Spring is Not quite Here...yet... we\'ve still got the white stuff here, but in mid April, just a few weeks away, it will all be melted. Here\'s a view of the car dealership next to my office window.

post--13461899422774_thumb.jpg

You can mow after they\'ve gone to seed & the blooms are gone. You can buy them in Garden Centers and transplant them and you can start from seeds (takes 2 years for the first time to bloom), and you can get seeds (maybe plants, too, I\'m not sure) from the State. Where you see them on the roadside, or in the fields they just grow there. These are a wildflower.

Hoping this helps bring a little spring to somebody who is tired of winter, it won\'t be much longer!

Kenna,

that\'s what that little flower in my backyard is, bluebonnets! cool. learn something new everyday.

thanks for all the snow pictures. i was beginning to forgot what it looked like. i\'m orginally from the mountains of east TN where it snowed during the winter, then i moved to GA and all they get is tornados.:P the snow reminds me of home. thanks again!

Cool! So they grow in Georgia too!

Just trying to help everyone feel better, I know cold and snow gets old fast. But cheer up! If it made it this far it won\'t be long before it warms up where you are! We had hummingbirds come through last week, I\'ve refilled both feeders twice already.

Anyone else have some signs of Spring?

Nita, I lived in Athens for a couple of years in the mid 70\'s. And yes, Houston basicly goes from Conroe to the north, to Galveston in the south, and from Baytown on the east side to Katy in in the West. It\'s growing even more to the east and west now! It\'s nothing to have a 3 hour daily commute to get to work and home again for people here. With only 6 shops taking part in the Quilt Shop Hop this weekend it\'s still an all day projest to hit all 6 in one day. There used to be 13 stores in it and it almost took a portion of another day! :D

I\'ve had to fill my feeders a third time now, so the hummers are heading north, Coleen!:)

Wow, Linda, at least Spring is trying to Spring in Washington! ;)

Take comfort, tho, I may not be so happy in a couple of months when Hurricane Season get here! :(

Archived