General question about thread 'conditioners'

Hi everyone:

Since I\'m having a thread breakage problem on my George when I use more delicate threads like 40 wt. cottons (haven\'t even dared to try my 40 wt. rayon), someone in the George forum suggested Sewer\'s Aid. I have used that product successfully to tame difficult threads (like metallics) on my domestic machine but a fellow longarmer told me never to use that type of product on a longarm machine.

Do any of you use this type of product or know whether it might damage or gum up the machine? Your experience & advice would be appreciated. Thanks! Nancy in Tucson

Yes! I use it when I have problems; especially with metallic and some cottons. It won\'t hurt your machine.

I switch to a 4.5 needle, run a few beads of Sewers Aid on the spool or cone. Works great. Oh and also try only running the thread through two of the three holes in the tension guide prior to the tension disk. That might help, too.

Shana...you are to stingy....I pop the little tiny top off and pour it onto to my threads....they should give me stocks to the company. When I had my studio, I used at least one bottle a week...whether I was having trouble or not....its so dry in Nevada, I just got so I used it always and I still do here...its part of my set up.

Rarely do I have a thread breakage....would to think I\'m that good, but its more like the "Sewers Aid" that is doing it.

In the commerical houses they have buckets of it and they soak the threads for days in it...it won\'t hurt ANY machine, DSM, Serger, or LA....

I very rarely use "conditioner." I use Superior Threads and run all kinds of threads. I run metallics and the regulars (So Fine, BL, and KT). I can even run Halo and Glitter in both of my APQS machines. IT is a matter of tension. If you have have qualtity thread, you can run it in your APQS w/o conditioner. Try playing around with your tension one day w/o the thread conditioner. Save some money and buy more thread!!!

S

I buy it by the gallon and either generously pour it on the bobbins as they wind or fill a little cup and just drop them in.

Never hurt a thing on my machines. One of the well-known quilters (can\'t remember who) said her parent ran a commercial factory and they kept pails of the sewers aid silicone and dropped in the cones of thread until they quit bubbling. That is when I figured I could soak the heck outta my thread.

With rainbow and metallics you don\'t wrap them around the bar above the tension disk three times as normal.

You wrap around two holes or just go up the first hole and down the last, this loosens the tension. Sometimes I have to lefty loosey a little more on the tension disk, but rarely.

If the thread breaks in your hands it\'s probably not strong enough to use on your machine. That\'s my first test.

I never have any trouble with rainbows. I run them fully threaded but loosen my top tension. When I run metalics, I wrap around l to 2 holes in the bar above the tension disk. I was surprized how well they sew. I thought I would have trouble with them, but didn\'t (knock on wood). I have sewer\'s aid just in case, but I\'ve used it once in 2 1/2 years.

Well thanks to all of you for your comments and advice. Yes, it is quite dry in Tucson but I AM using quality thread (Sulky 30 weight cotton and YLI 40 weight cotton). I own lots of Superior thread and it is clear that George prefers sewing with polyester threads but I prefer the look of the thick cotton threads and I am determined to figure out how to use any thread I wish.

I figured if the top thread and bobbin are making a perfect looking stitch on my warm up sample, they should behave the same way on my quilt sandwich but the seam allowances are stressing the thread & the top thread is breaking. Since this is the case, do you think I should use the Sewers Aid on the BOBBIN or on the TOP THREAD?

I\'m headed out today to buy some, safe in the knowledge that it won\'t wreak havoc with my machine ;-)

Originally posted by PattyJo

Do you think it has to do with the amount of humidity in the air. Nevada & Ariz are both dry areas.

Yes. Agree, PattyJo. It is very dry where I live in interior Alaska. Low humidity here; not much percipitation...almost like a desert. I am always drinking water, lathering on the hand lotion, and Sewers\' Aid is a good friend of mine.

I attended one of Bob\'s "Superior" thread classes at Innovations last year. He shared a ton of information...worth taking if you can. He talked about all sorts of thread and thread issues, and how to use the different threads on your machine. It made really good sense. I have been able to apply that knowledge and use all sorts of threads on my Millennium. Check out the Superior website www.superiorthreads.com and click on education, there is alot of good stuff there. No, I am not affiliated, I just use their product with no problems!

I agree with Nadia. I took a 3 day seminar on thread with Bob and Heather. Check out their website. Bob and Heather are both experts on all types of threads. They do not promote their own thread in the seminars. They have just chosen to do the research about these textiles and they share their information. If you get a chance it well worth the education to sit in on a seminar.

Hi Nancy,

You can use Sewer\'s Aid on both the top and bottom thread. I put a drop on the bobbin thread after testing the tension and I liberally use it on the cone--almost to the saturation point--always with King Tut and sometimes with Signature.

Joann\'s is having a 50% off sale now on the notions wall. That is cheaper than I can get the stuff wholesale so I always stock up. Like Bonnie, I slather it on--enlarge the applicator by snipping the end and it really pours out!

I also believe it is all about humidity as far as problems with breakage.

Jeanette, Please share where you buy Sewers Aid by the Gallon? I get so tired of running out and having to travel & shop till I\'m able to find more.

I also use it as much in damp weather, as we have here in summer, to keep the tread from dragging, as in the winter to prevent the dry from bringing up static and snapping.

I sometimes put it directly onto the quilt where a multi pile of seams merge, thus lubing it a bit more too. Seldom have a break there.

Thanks everyone for all the info, every litter bit herlps.

Rita R

I do know that in dry climates and even in moderate climates when we have the furnace on, things dry out and thread can use a little help.

That being said I think we might also consider this information which is from the Education Dept of Superior Threads. Note that it is COMBUSTABLE and can contribute to Respiratory problems.

Please note ~ No offense intended to Anyone.

Silicone Lubricants | Is silicone necessary

Is it OK to use Silicone lubricant on thread?

Silicone is a chemical polymer lubricant that is sometimes used to make an uncooperative thread run better. Some apply it directly onto the thread and others thoroughly immerse the thread in a bucket of silicone and soak it overnight. If the thread requires full immersion and soaking, and you are using the right needle and made appropriate tension adjustments, I recommend finding another thread. That\'s too much silicone. As thread manufacturers, we asked our engineers, factories, machine experts, and fiber consultants regarding the use of silicone.

Q. Is the silicone used for thread lubricant water soluble?

A. Most is oil soluble and does not mix with water.

Q. Does silicone affect the colorfastness of the thread or fabric?

A. No. There is no evidence of silicone affecting colorfastness.

Q. Can silicone stain the fabric?

A. Yes. If you use enough silicone on the thread to penetrate the spool or cone, the excessive amount of silicone may stain the thread and fabric.

Q. Is it safe to use a small amount of silicone?

A. Probably. Just don\'t soak the thread in it.

Q. Will silicone spray hurt my machine?

A. An excessive amount may over-lubricate but a small amount should be OK.

Q. How about soaking the entire cone of thread in silicone?

A. No. Use a thread that does not require soaking.

Q. Is silicone safe?

A. A little is most likely OK. According to OSHA, silicone is defined as a hazardous substance. It is combustible. It can cause skin and respiratory tract irritation.

Archived