Blue Four Patch

After looking at Romy\'s quilt, and also my yellow quilt, I\'m not as excited about this one, but it\'s for two very young people who are getting married and (having a baby). SO, it\'s still made with lots of love and great memories of raising my step kids....I love them dearly! Oh, that sounds bad - but since I had to do it in a hurry, I\'ll make them another later on.

I used navy bottom line on the top and bottom line white in the bobbin. The panto is called Plumage...

Enjoy this very simple quilt:

post--13461899488803_thumb.jpg

Hi Bobbi, Great job on a quick quilt. I love the panto and you did a very good job. I know what you mean when it is toooooo sunny. It\'s hard to get the shadows to show off the quilting. Would it help to turn the quilt so that it is at a 90 degree angle to the window? I think that is what I\'ve done to help the contrast. And be sure and turn your flash off! Anyway, wonderful quilt.

Oh Shana, even though I don\'t get to see them much, we communicate often... It\'s been 8 years since I lived there. I still love them as if I gave birth to them... How blessed could one mom be to not only give birth to two wonderful sons, and then have the honor to raise 3 step children... It was great! And the Kool thing was that as I was quilting the quilt I had wonderful memories of the times we had together.

Any way, Romy in answer to your question, I\'m a bit goofy when it comes to batting. I have attached myself to Mountain Mist Quilt Light Batting. I don\'t know why, but that\'s what I\'ve used in every quilt! I used to use the needled cotton batting but was never satisfied with how the quilt came out. And I thought they were heavy without warmth. So, my secret is out!

One more thing, about the thread... I had heard that if you use two different colors, make sure that one side, in this case the bottom, show a tiny "pindot" of the color used on the other side. When you take the quilt off and let it "relax" the thread magically sinks into the quilt! Worked this time at least.

Oh, and Patty Jo, Yes, that should work... I used to photograph my dolls on a "bright" cloudy day.

No, Chris:

Not piping.... just a little technique I don\'t even remember where I picked it up or if I just did it myself.... (CRS again)

I used it on my Oriental clamshell quilt too. It\'s a 3/4" strip of fabric used as part of the border... when sewn, it is 1/4". I suppose you could make it narrower too if you wanted... I have used the piping too, but that I usually attach just before sewing on the binding. It\'s a little extra work, but sometimes it make things jump!

Here\'s a photo of my police detective son\'s Lone Star quilt where I used both techniques - I used the 1/4" around the star, and the piping on the border:

post--13461899518006_thumb.jpg

Bobbi...........Newbie question. I just tried doing a quilt with green bottom line in bobbin and Signature creme on top. I had such a mess I had to tear out two different blocks as the green came through to the top. I had my top tension very, very loose. How did you get your navy and white to work together? Did I need to tighten the bobbin tension as the top tension could not have been much looser. Your quilt is beautiful!

Shirley:

If your quilt is still on the machine, add a piece of fabric along the edge, over the batting. use this to practice with your tension before you start quilting... I do this almost every time.

For what you are doing I think your top tension needs to be tighter than your bobbin. Practice so that when you stitch there is just a "pindot" of the green on top of the quilt. When the quilt is off the machine and relaxes, it should sink into the quilt.

Anybody else know how to help?

Judy, that\'s exactly why I did it - there are so many bias edges on the "star" quilts and it does really make the star jump!

Thanks Bobbi..................That could very well be my problem as I kept thinking the top tension is way to loose. I will try tightening the top tension as it looks really bad right now! I guess I thought the top tension should be loose so the bobbin thread would pull it down. Wow, tension is not fun.

Archived