I took charge

Mary Beth, remember business is business. I own a quilt shop and we do custom quilting making, repairs, long arm quilting, classes for sewing, sell fabric and notions etc, etc. I have a Freedom and a Millie. I quilt on the Freedom and everyone else uses the Millie. I rent the Millie for customers to use. I charge $ 150 for the class and the class includes a set of quilt zippers and lunch. To rent my Millie, you must take this class. One customer wanted me to let her "apprentice" so she would not have to pay the $ 150. I have sent this particular customer lots of business b/c she does an awesome job on t-shirt quilts. She send the quilts to another longarm quilter in the area to have them quilted. What really got me is that she thought I would pay her to apprentice at my shop! What gives?! And, I have sent her plenty of business. More than enough for her to pay for a class.

We must all remember that we are professionals, regardless if our business is in our home, a storefront or internet only. My doctors, mechanics, pharmacy, hairdresser, grocer or any other professional does not hold my checks or give me a discount. Nor would I ask for one! We all have had trying financial times at one time or another. But we must remember that we have to pay our bills too! And, hopefullu have enough left over for supplies.

Sandra

Mary Beth,

You did exactly right. It always amazes me that people will ask such a thing. Its her gift to the cancer patient, not yours. It was her decision to make it; surely she had to factor into that decision that it would have to be quilted and if she wasn\'t able to do it then she would have to pay someone. Like you said, she wouldn\'t do that to the grocery store or the department store.

As has been said on this forum before, "Its not our responsibility to make the customer\'s hobby affordable for them" even if it is for charity.

Phyllis

Thank you Phyllis,

One of the women at the shop yesterday commented that she had 2 quilt tops she had made that she was considering giving to charity. I almost offered to do them for her for free, or at least reduced, but it\'s not like I don\'t have enough on my own plate, as well as my own quilt tops to piece. I know it sounds selfish, but we do have to take care of ourselves first.

Beth

Here\'s one for you. A friend quilted a nice throw-size as a contribution for a local veteran\'s home--one that is narrow enough to be used by a person in a wheelchair. The piecer had contributed her fabric and skills to piece. After finishing and giving back to her, she was thrilled with the quilting and decided it was "too good" for charity and gave it to her grandson! My friend\'s protests fell on deaf ears--it was "her" top and she could do what she wanted with it. It was a hard lesson learned and my friend is more careful now--she either delivers to the charity herself or only quilts for people she trusts to follow through. The Karma Bus will nudge that woman someday!

I\'m worried now about accepting a check from this lady for payment. I have decided to call her when the quilt is ready to be quilted and ask if funds will be available, if not, she could wait and give it to the guy later, or come and pick it up and show it to him, then bring it back and I will quilt it when she has the money. I feel like I am being hard hearted, but I really feel like this is one of those people who play the victim and everyone is suppose to feel sorry. So, I gotta do what I gotta do. Like your friend, Linda, I would do it for free if I thought this was all ligit.

Hey MB--

Ask her to bring cash--you know, that green stuff.

Of course, you wouldn\'t want to hurt feelings but I think you have enough red flags flying to be entitled to have your fears laid to rest. And if you were going to ask if there was money in the bank to cover the check anyway, go for broke (so to speak!) and ask for a cash payment.

(Easy for me to say! LOL)

It is sad that everyone has to play their drama, real or manufactured, at top volume and using all those hardships as an excuse.... but that\'s one reason I don\'t watch TV.

You never know what is legit and what is not, but I would say that you should not let yourself be played.

You are plenty smart and I would also insist on cash or money order. In situations like this, checks are scary. It might be fine, but then again....

Stick up for yourself.

You can be too kind... actually it\'s called enabling. The dear man will not give a hoot if the quilt arrives on his 80th BD or the next month. Trust me.

It is sad that everyone has to play their drama, real or manufactured, at top volume and using all those hardships as an excuse.... but that\'s one reason I don\'t watch TV.

You never know what is legit and what is not, but I would say that you should not let yourself be played.

You are plenty smart and I would also insist on cash or money order. In situations like this, checks are scary. It might be fine, but then again....

Stick up for yourself.

You can be too kind... actually it\'s called enabling. The dear man will not give a hoot if the quilt arrives on his 80th BD or the next month. Trust me.

Stick up for yourself.

Mary Beth;

You did the right thing by telling this lady that money needed to be collected at the time of quilt pick up. Shame on the woman who was trying to use this dying man as her sympathy pawn for delayed payment.

I would have never thought of using my FIL\'s impending death to get away of not paying for something at the time of pick up.

Don\'t feel guilty about this, after all it\'s the customer that should be feeling ashamed of her actions.

It is better to be sorry for not doing something, than it is to be sorry that you did it. Another quote from my ole Dad. Since you do not know these people, you are doing the correct thing. Everyone has a sad tale to share, but we do not expect some one else to pay the price for us.

Mary Beth,

You have good instincts for a reason, listen to them :)

And Thanks for giving some of us newer folks a good example of back bone!

I almost backed down recently when a customer balked at my prices. I\'d given her an E2E option for .015, and suggested some pretty feathers for 2 cents. I held firm and told her she was welcome to leave the quilt here and think about which option she wanted as I wouldn\'t be starting it for a few days anyway. MAN, that was hard!! I just wanted to cave and say the feathers are exactly what this quilt needs, so, fine I\'ll just do it for the cheaper price since you are put off by the half-cent more. She slept on it and called me back the next day and said she\'d like the 2 cent work - yippee! And she was thrilled when she got it back, the feathers were perfect for the quilt! I think I may post a small picture of her quilt above my desk to remind me when doing intakes to be strong!

Mary Beth, I was taken advantage of by a little ol\' lady who claimed to have cancer, and oh yes her husband had cancer too. They were living with her daughter etc. etc. I put her quilt ahead of my waiting list because I had the impression that she wasn\'t long for this world. Well, when I delivered it, she told me all about the melanomas both she and her DH had had a few years ago. He was out golfing at the time and she couldn\'t talk long because she was off to the country club for lunch!!! I did charge her for the quilt, thank goodness, so only put her ahead on the list. It was a good lesson though!!! She didn\'t lie to me, just gave the wrong impression, not that skin cancer can\'t be serious but theirs wasn\'t!!! The lesson FOR ME was that I need to be more business like. You can have a good heart and be charitable and still not have someone take advantage of you. You just can\'t do every quilt that has a sad story to it for free!! It\'s hard to be tough but necessary I think!

Debbie Cadwallender

NEW APQS representative

Perry,(near Lansing) Michigan

Archived