Dear Jane....

Has anyone ever pieced a Dear Jane? Every time I see one, I am so intrigued and want to do one myself, then I talk myself out of it! There\'s so much to it, I figure it would probably end up in the UFO pile :( I do like to do hand applique and hand piecing so that\'s not it....I\'m sure it would take a couple of years though. Last week I went to a play ( about quilting! )...and there were so many quilts on display and with every change of scene a new quilt was hung as a back-drop on the stage. Anyway, there was a beautiful Dear Jane hanging there and it got me thinking again......

Sandra

I have the Dear Jane book and have just purchased the software to go with it. I have a feeling that when I start mine it will quickly become a longterm project too. I can\'t tell you anything about the software because it hasn\'t arrived yet.

Pamela

I didn\'t know what a Dear Jane was either so I went to the website..........good gosh!!!!!!!!!!!:o:o:o:o

I don\'t think I will live long enough to get that finished......even if I would sew it on the machine much less hand piece it :P:P:P

I would really have to think about that...right now my biggest handpiecing project is English Paperpiecing and that is my first.

So my hat is off to ANYONE that would tackle the Dear Jane. You have my support and confidence all the way.

Renae

Be careful with the patterns. Some of the ones in the book don\'t go together correctly. I have never done one but our local quilt shop where I worked for a little while had a support group and they found problems with the book. I don\'t know if the software is more accurate.

Charlotte

There is a yahoo group for the Dear Jane and quilted diamonds... djretreats@yahoo.com I\'ve been sttiching a "Quilted Diamond" quilt for a few months...made only six blocks so far but very addictive when I have spare time. My little diamonds are prepped and ready to go with me whenever I have to travel. I wanted to hand stitch a quilt and decided to go the quilted diamond route instead of Dear Jane. The quilted diamonds are by Linda Franz... www.lindafranz.com The books and software are awesome and so easy to follow. There is also a Dear Hannah group along the same line as the Dear Jane. My diamond blocks are 4" x 7" and all hand pieced.

Here\'s a few of the blocks I\'ve done so far...

post--13461899800337_thumb.jpg

Wow, Nadia...now I have a decision to make! The diamond quilt is intriguing because its not familiar to me....how many diamonds are in the quilt?

I\'m looking up the website for linda franz, but would like to hear more from you, like do you think the software is necessary...

Sandra

Susan and Nadia,

Wow!!!! There\'s a lot of work there. Hopefully I can someday have mine done. DH and I need to take more road trips so I can work on it. If I\'m home all I can get done is quilt on the machine. I don\'t seem to take the time to sit and work on my own projects. I guess that is a good thing though.

Hi SandraC....if you own a version of Electric Quilt (EQ) then the software is very useful as you can print your diamond templates from your printer, just saves a step. If you do not have the software then you have to trace the templates from the book. Linda has very good DVD\'s that go along with her books, very detailed in showing how to hand stitch. I ended up buying 2 books with DVD\'s and the software for the templates. Plus I also bought her drawing table stuff, which I have not opened up yet. Linda Franz is from your part of Canada I beleive.

I really like the Dear Jane blocks too...one day I will attemp those. I cannot remember how many diamonds there are in the quilt...alot I think...I will make a quilt smaller than what is in the books. The diamonds intrigued me too because they are a bit different. I love all those old hand pieced quilts and the stories behind them!

Nadia & Susan - both of your work is beautiful, but when I even think of hand piecing a quilt, my brain freezes up, my arms go limp and for some reason my vision clouds over, so I don\'t think I\'ll do it, but I will certainly admire the women who do. You are both on your way. ;)

Susan,

Congrats on your Dear Jane progress. You are way ahead of me... I\'m still just thinking about it.

One question, lots of ladies list a set of numbers near their name when they talk about their DJ progress. What do the numbers mean? It\'s usually 4 sets of numbers, I assume it\'s something to do with how many done, how many pieces etc.

Thanks

Thanks for the encouragement she hs been sitting while until I get moyivated

the numbers mean

(#blocks),(#triangles)(#corners)(total pieces)

so mine would be something like But I found it was too hard to track

In Jane Stickles original quilt which can be seen every Fall at the Bennington Museum in the corner she stitched in War Time and how many pieces were in the quilt.

hope that helps quilts that are made from the book have been nick named "BabyJanes"

I like the software but the book gives you a close up of each block The book did recreate each block even Jane\'s varied So if you buy the book you can recreate the blocks as you see in the photo.

Archived