Timing - I did it myself!

BethDurand

I\'m so proud of myself, I re-timed my girl all by myself! In the past, I\'ve had DH "help" me. I.e. do it all for me, but he wasn\'t home, and wouldn\'t be for a couple of hours, and I wanted to quilt! I can\'t figure out what I did, but she was way off.

Is it possible that I was simply running the machine too fast and things went out of whack that way?

Regardless, I now feel like not only do I have the screwdrivers (I bought my own set at Sears), but I can use them too!

Yeah for me!

Beth

Jessica,

You remind me of my daughter. Nancy (but not a quilter) will call my husband and whine or cry and he will hop in the car and drive up to help her. She had him wrapped around her little finger for 31 years next month:) aka-since birth. Now my 23 month old granddaughter, Layla, will go to her daddy and look up at him and say, "Daddy, pleeeeese." She\'s already learning. She usually gets her way, too. I guess it is in their genes.

Sandy

Way to go Beth!! I have not really timed my machine, but I have gone through the steps twice to make sure everything was where it was suppose to be. It was a piece of cake. The only part I have trouble with is getting the needle bar screw tight while holding onto the needle bar and hoping it doesn move. All I can say is thank the Good Lord for my Orangutan arms at a time like that!! Now when I\'m buying a winter coat it is a different story :D

Congratulations on your accomplishment!! You go girl!!!

Okay Bonnie, the instructions are in your manual with great color photographs and drawings. I had my manual laid out on the quilt that I was working on, along with my tools. Got to have a flashlight, and those fun purple cheater glasses. There\'s even a tab labeled "timing"

Terri, I knew that my machine needed to be re-timed because it was making a terrible sound of metal banging together, and I couldn\'t get the bobbin thread to come up. When I took the needle plate off the timing was so off that I couldn\'t even get the needle to come up high enough to take it out so that I could work on things. I ended up having to loosen the needle set screw, allowing the needle to drop partly into the bobbin case, then use my tweezers to pull it up and out.

Ms. Mary Beth, you have at least one sewing machine! You and your "orangutang arms could simply buy a cute coat, then add some lace to the sleeves to make them long enough. Something my mother used to offer to do for my pants legs when I was a kid. Of course, then it would look dorky, but now it would probably be in style. Option #2, I\'ll knit you some mittens with extra long cuffs so that they will hide up inside your sleeves and keep you warm. What colors do you want?

Beth

I also had to cowboy up yesterday and redo mine....funny noises...no, funny stitches, no.

If fact it was making perfect stitches, but after about a row or so it would clip off the point of the needle....it was catching just a part of the hook assembly not on every rotate, but many, and then it got so it was doing it more often and quicker....finally after fighting it for about three days, because I really thought that the needles might be to long. Possible bad batch. I finally caught it in the act of catching....Hahhha ya little bugger caught ya.... So now am up and running so I need to get back to quilting....

There are many many signs as to what and when this happens....I\'ve had it break threads, I\'ve had it break needles, clip off tips, skip huge stitches....sometimes all the above at one time. I\'ve also learned that once you get to really know your machine you will know what\'s wrong...except yesterday, did throw me off until I caught the needle hitting in the wrong place. They can be sneeky buggers, so beware.

Way to go, Beth! It\'s not so bad, is it? A pain in the backside, but definitely do-able, right?

I do have new timing instructions that I can e-mail anyone who needs them...I have them in both PDF and Microsoft Word documents, and can get them out pretty quickly, so if anyone needs a new copy, please send me an e-mail at the factory (aanderson@apqs.com) and I\'ll get them right out! I have added a few pictures to the set that we had last year, mostly on how to get started with the hook assembly...just finished them before MQS!

Just let me know!

Actually it\'s not as hard as you think! I was totally intimidated the first time. I watched the maintenance video a bunch of times. I had to re-time because I was dumb! I had a T-shirt over the carriage to catch the drips when I was cleaning and oiling. Well....it slipped, an arm flipped up and caught the bobbin hook while it was running:o. It took me over an hour sitting under the machine to cut out all the T-shirt parts that got wound up (really tight) in the bobbin area!:mad: It\'s funny now, but at the time I was furious and scared that I ruined my machine. It took me a couple of hours and a glass of wine to get up the courage to try and fix it myself. DH was gone working and of course it was a weekend, so I had to do it myself whether I wanted to or not!!:P

Archived