Rice Bags?

Dear CoffeeNQuilts,

Thank you so much for your explanation of the purpose of the rice bags. I have watched the video over and over, and all it tells is how to make the rice bags but not a word about why. You explained it perfectly (that meaning that I could understand it), and now I understand.

Dear imnrn (Dear nurse--I read you!)

You can go to SharonSchamber.com and click on Free Stuff, or you may find it quicker and easier to go to YouTube and search for Sharon Schamber. There are many of her videos there and they are WONDERFUL!

She also has a website sharonschambernetwork.com

Thanks everyone!! I appreciate all the info you have given. Maybe I\'ll try a few things and see.....Just working on a mostly stippled quilt today. When I\'m done with it, I\'ll pull out the practice piece again. THanks so much!! you all are so helpful!!:D linda

Could someone please send a picture of the rice bags being used? I still don\'t understand how they create drag on the machine. I understand how they could level out the quilt, though.

Pictures work better for my understanding.

Thanks.

I have read all of the posts in this thread and watched the video. Now, I know how to make rice bags and I know that many people like them but........................... I have not a clue how you use them..........where you put them........etc!

Like Grace, I need to see it.

<html>

<font color=#10A368><B>

I finally got all the way to the very last of Video #3 and see how Sharon Schamber uses the rice bags.

The machine that she is using provides a broad surface for the bag to provide drag on at the back of the quilt and her machine does not have a stabilizer bar like a Millie.

Is anyone using this method on a Millie?

Are you putting the bags in front of the stabilizer bar or between the stabilizer bar and the Take-Up bar?

</B>

</font>

</html>

Originally posted by jmyhogan

<html>

<font color=#10A368><B>

I finally got all the way to the very last of Video #3 and see how Sharon Schamber uses the rice bags.

The machine that she is using provides a broad surface for the bag to provide drag on at the back of the quilt and her machine does not have a stabilizer bar like a Millie.

Is anyone using this method on a Millie?

Are you putting the bags in front of the stabilizer bar or between the stabilizer bar and the Take-Up bar?

</B>

</font>

</html>

Jim, Sherry Rogers Harrison and Rita R (here on the chat) have both developed larger base plates for the APQS longarm and use with the rice bags. You can check with either one of these ladies on their products.

I found the rice bags and foam together too difficult and my wrists would ache after quilting. Now I just use the foam when necessary. I have two different thicknesses depending on the amount of control I want. But - I have Linda's book - I'll give that a try :D

Archived