What phrase makes you cringe?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love this topic! And my personal favorite hasn't been mentioned.

I just hate when people use the slang word "busted"! "My tv is busted" "I busted the window" UGGGGG! At my house the instant response is "Busted isn't a word!" (and after the kids responding once too many with: well it's in the dictionary, so it must be a word. I "whiteout"-ed it from our dictionary!!!!!)

The second worst one for me is "ain't" - that was the one growing up that drove my mom nuts and would elicit the "That's not a word!" response ;) I guess I'm turning into my mother - yikes!

At work this last school year we heard:

"you know what you need to do" or

"you know what you should do"

Seems lots of people know my job better than I do after 17 years of service.

My Mom was a school teacher for 25 years and when someone (students especially) would say "I have a good idea!" She would say "tell me your idea and I'll tell you if it's a good one or not!" I love that and my Mom of course!

Bonnie

Kat-

I used to tutor Native Americans in our school district-Once they found out that I too am Native they would really accept me and we all worked well together. But they would use ALOT of slang and some I would just ignore(you really do have to "choose your battles") However if they used "ain't" I would explain why it was not a word I would not agknowledge-I would remind them two times only- then the question or statement would get a blank stare from me. It worked very well and whenever any one new would join us I would go over the rules again. When I was reminding the new boy for his 2nd & final time, one girl who was with me for most of the semester said- "Geez!, You sound just like my mother!!" I laughed and simply said "GOOD" LOL

Sewhappy

The Nurse from Hell, my last two stays in the hospital told me more than once.. "Calm down.." I said " Then Get the Hell out of here so I can."

Now she's decided I'm her bosom buddy.. My Dr. said to ask for the charge nurse and have her changed.. and he said a lot of people do it, not only with this one.. I shall do it too.. I will Calm down when I have a reason to Calm down.. and at MY choice, not hers...

SOOO yes!!! that one also bugs me.

RitaR

No one has mentioned this one 'So, what's your Point.' A friend asked me a question, I answered her and she says, 'So what's your Point.' She is always saying that and it really gets to me. She is moving to another neighbourhood [6 miles]next month and I told her to take her "So whats your Point' with her.

Archived