What phrase makes you cringe?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My sister works at a funeral home and she says if she hears the phrase "He/she is in a better place" when someone dies, one more time, she is going to ask the person saying it if they have "some kind of inside information". She says many relatives get so upset when someone says it to them.

I think it\'s more of the INCORRECT ENGLISH used than just the repeated phrases for me.

Ain\'t got none,double negatives and especially people who are your "boss"using this language. Repeatedly mispronounced (basic ) words make me nutty(er).:D

OH OH OH the UPTALKING?????!!!!!!!!!!! (I almost forgot? Are you asking a question or making a statement????????????):mad:

yadda yadda..........;)

I have quite a few, but most have already been mentioned.

My former boss used to say she needed to have some "dialog with the peeps." aka-a staff meeting. Urgggggg!

I "hate" when co-workers say, "Can I see your ink pen." No question mark was used because they are really making a statement as they take my pen from my desk and I happened to catch them doing it.

The best one...our former Mayer took classes to help him prepare for public speaking. At the start of one of his first speaches (after the classes), he stood up at the podium and said yada, ydada, yada, "because I is the Mayer."

Originally posted by sandradarlington

The best one...our former Mayer took classes to help him prepare for public speaking. At the start of one of his first speaches (after the classes), he stood up at the podium and said yada, ydada, yada, "because I is the Mayer."

Do you live near Detroit??? Oh wait! You are in Philadelphia! That sounds like something King Kwame would say. :D

It makes me laugh to read this:P My children range in age between 9-17. If you sit by the pool in the summer and just listen to them... you would wonder if any of them could put a full sentence together with out using slang t: everything is rude, wacked, sick and what ever, broken down and put back together with LIKE as the filler between each and every word. For me" I would have to say?", "if your happy with the end resault then that\'s all that matters", and when I was younger my mom use to always say, As soon as you change into something more suitable, we\'ll be ready to go. Suitable for who??? :cool: Of course now that I am a mother.... I use this line on my children all the time LOL

I enjoy this topic because, I have to admit, I am a real prude when it comes to mis-use of grammar, etc....so here\'s my list...

Hate when store signs use improper grammar, ie: "your" instead of "you\'re" (it\'s all I can do to not go in to correct them!).

Can\'t stand "my bad".

We grew up in a house where we didn\'t hear swearing, so the current trend to casually put curse words into a conversation bothers me. I tell my kids that using those words shows that a person doesn\'t have the smarts to use proper English.

At our local park there is a sign put up by the town announcing that there are restrictions from using the park at night....at the end of the sign it reads, "Trespassers will be persecuted"!

Sandra - that is a good one!!:D:D And very extreme.

I have a problem, too, with all of the politically correct stuff. What ever happened to Actor (a man) and Actress (a woman), tell me what I am missing....I don\'t see anything wrong with that :o

Yes the kids and their slang...my youngest step-son was in the car with us and his favorite word at the time was "sweeeet" but another one was "psyco". I laughed about the "psyco" word and the way he used it and my DH said, "What, do you only use "s" words now?" :o I almost fell out of the car. We all laughed all the way home.

How about Thank You? But not used as you would think!! I had a friend that would say "Thank You" when you asked her a question about what she was talking about - Her: "My husband got mad because I made a salad for dinner again last nite" Me: "Why?" Her: "Thank You" But it is a sarcastic "that\'s my point" Thank you. No graditude for anything- just another form of slang!

There is a woman in my mini group that cannot tell a story without saying "Then he goes" & "Then I go" & on & on. She never uses said or say. She is almost 50 years old!! Very annoying!! But we still put up these things with our friends because ..well..they are our friends!:)

Sewhappy

Having coffee this morning and reading this is so funny.

Being a Sourthern raised girl from the deep woods of Texas I am the worst for using Slang. My husband repeatably corrects my poor grammer which is mostly just habit. I became really self conscience about it years ago and I\'m not near as bad as I used to be. I cannot help myself sometimes. lolol

I still but not as bad have this habit of ending my sentences with baby. "Thank you baby" or using Honey. So Southern but it could be a complete stranger. My husband just laughs as me all the time. I try not to do it and when I do he calls me on it. " I say I didn\'t say that" but I know I did. lol

One that get me is "That\'s nice" but it is more irritating with a southern draw. lol

I just try to be myself and hope my southern charm ( as my husband refers to it) won\'t annoy anyone. lol lol

What a funny topic.

Hugs Grammie

Another word that is over-used in my area is "indeed." When a person makes a comment, the other person\'s response is "indeed."

"The weather is very warm today." Response: "Indeed."

"The boss is out sick today." Response: "Indeed."

"I\'m going to the Board Room for a meeting at 1:00." Response: "Indeed."

ENOUGH!!!

"No problem" is my big gripe of the decade and I have I\'m almost to the place where I regret thanking anyone who says it. Shopping today I heard it fifteen times in an hour... when I reached the last saleperson who asked me to go online and report her "excellent customer service" which was marginal, I told her that I would do it next time I heard "you\'re welcome" or a similar phrase.

Big eyerolling! Needless to say I won\'t report her to the kindness cops.

Some that bug me are mixing of "then and than" their and there" "ever and every", " comical but sad, a b usiness sign that said \'"Gift Shop, next Right", with a big red arrow pointing left and no where to turn left... and another by a lake in CA. " No driving beyond this point", look forward about 8 feet and there was a lake. No brainer to me.. lol..

Others I find sad are Where you went? Can I go with.. what is with , how is with,, huh??? Keep off THE grass.. instead of Keep off Grass. etc.. or the best yet.. "Enter Here""on a big new banner fastened to a new business, with a huge note on the door saying "Use Exit doors!

Theres always sad things, and there\'s always funny things.. I hope they remember the correct things when Older...

RitaR

I have to chime in. I work in the ER in an inner city hospital. The latest slang is "a minute". If I ask the patient how long they have had their symptoms, they reply \'for a minute\'. I have been hearing this so much lately that I finally got exasperated and asked the patient \'exactly how long is a minute\'. I guess it means a few days. lol

To Mary Beth,

Along these same lines, it bugs me when a woman breaks up with a boyfriend and she wants to "see other people." I would assume she means that she wants to see other men, but said that way it sounds almost as if she has been held captive and hasn't been able to see anybody.

Archived