What phrase makes you cringe?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mary Beth,

Ever play Bullsh*t bingo while listening to upper management talk in the corporate world? You get to mark off squares based on how many buzz words they used. For example "Front Lines", "Raising the Bar", "Critical Path", "Customer Facing", "Win-Win", etc.

If you go out to google and search on Bullsh*t bingo you will see that you can even print off cards to take to meetings with you. Just one word of advice, try to not scream out BINGO! when you fill your card. :P

Personally, I cringe when someone calls me "Crafty". I picture this poor old woman sitting in front of a table at a local high school craft show with piles and piles of pot holders in front of her. No one wants to buy them and she is still cranking out more. Ugh.

Originally posted by QuiltFaerie

Bullsh*t bingo while listening to upper management talk in the corporate world? You get to mark off squares based on how many buzz words they used. For example "Front Lines", "Raising the Bar", "Critical Path", "Customer Facing", "Win-Win", etc.

Was a fav for us at Harrah\'s in Reno...and then again when I transfered to TBC....and yes, was busted for several Bingo\'s...:P;) somedays its the only way you can get through the day.:cool::cool:

So glad I now work for just me.....although its been tough sometimes not wanting to fire the boss when she can\'t seem to focus and get the things done she needs to. To many distractions at times.;)

14 years of listening to radio traffic at work and the phrase I used to hate hearing the most was T.K.S.! I hated it! All it means is "thanks", and it\'s radio slang and sounds stupid. It\'s nice, but not necessary. "Thanks" is 1 sylable! "T.K.S." is 3! Radio traffic is supposed to be concise and to the point, easily understood. That\'s why there are codes.

Caller: "Deputy Rembold, your 10-20 (location)?

Answer: Admin. (or where ever you are)

Caller: 10-4 (acknowledge).

Then the dreaded............T.K.S. (Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!) Standby (or 10-23) for a 10-21 (wait for a phone call).

If they need to thank someone, "Thanks" will suffice! I think far too many just liked to hear themselves talk on the radio and it just wastes radio time!!! In order to transmit, you need to wait until the "air is clear", as in---NOBODY ELSE IS TALKING! So, if a riot is starting in your unit and you need to call the cavalry, time is important. So, say what you need to say and get off the air!

The one I hate hearing from the kids is, "Hold on." Every time you say or ask something, anything, getting a, "Hold on!" infuriates me! It puts the adult in the position of being less important to listen to than whatever stupid thing they\'re looking at on the internet. An acknowledgment of, "O.K." or, "I hear you." is not irritating, but, "Hold on!" is like putting me on hold and makes me mad!:mad:

Originally posted by Bonnie

Was a fav for us at Harrah\'s in Reno...and then again when I transfered to TBC....and yes, was busted for several Bingo\'s...:P;) somedays its the only way you can get through the day.:cool::cool:

So glad I now work for just me.....although its been tough sometimes not wanting to fire the boss when she can\'t seem to focus and get the things done she needs to. To many distractions at times.;)

Bonnie - When did you work at Harrah*s? I worked in the MIS department back in the 80s.

The phrase I really hate right now is "Robust Dialog". Basically it means fighting in a meeting. Don\'t know if it\'s just here or if it\'s being used other places.

Merryjo-

Reading your posts makes me think you are in law enforcement-DH was with PHPD in California for 25 years-He retired,(When he retired they gave him his badge--#2) we moved to Montana for the kids and he got bored & is back at work as the CSI here in town and for many surrounding miles-He is also now the Deputy Coroner! Where is Valley Center California? I\'m thinking Southern California?

Sewhappy

People who say "these many" Now, exactly what does that mean. How about this many - sounds better to my ears. I agree with Beth - Like, ya know, HaHa. And when someone keeps repeating the same word over and over and they couldn\'t complete a sentence without it! I have a dear friend, and I do overlook, or maybe overhear her when she uses a couple of phrases over and over. I think that maybe the cringing comes more with people I don\'t know cause I can overlook a lot with those that I like to be around.

:D:D:DSorry girls some of these sayings do make me laugh.....not AT you but WITH you because I AM GUILTY for saying a few of them myself. I guess I will have to watch what I say from now on and try to think BEFORE I say a word....:D:D

You have to admit some of it does drive you crazy but life is funny and you just have to laugh with it.

I\'m guilty of the saying for example, "thinking outside the box", :P:P a few of us girls have had a good laugh about what box we were in at the time. :P:P A packing box.....sandbox....wine box, now that one was interesting.....:D:

Don\'t mind me today, you would think I was drinking already.....:P but actually it\'s just been water. Some days are like that for me....just plain crazy.

Renae

It\'s funny reading these

I agree with "Whaaateeever" Oh that drives me nuts.

I have a friend that everytime I talk to her she has to say " You have to understand...." I think

she says it 10 times every time we talk. Just drives me nuts but will never say anything to her.

I just wonder sometimes WHY do I have to understand.

Michele

Hey Margie...or Mr. Margie,

"Think outside the box" :D:P My DH works for a company that leases and repairs tank cars (big round railroad cars), DH always says to me "You need to think outside the circle." In his world it is the same thing....I hate it too!!

Mine is "Close enough for government work". I worked for the Navy then the Air Force and I always hated to hear that phase. How would people feel that I could not find 50 out of 1200 guns that I was incharge of? I also had other duties and worked very hard also trying to do my best. I now have a job with a private company and the main reason they hired me was because I was a government worker.

OK

The first is "sweeeeet" said by some members of the family

the other

\'sick" which actually means REALLY COOL.

I have worked primarily with 7-8 grades and whenever they use the "f" world I give them a speech on how it is moronic because there are severall hundred great words you could use instead and show your intelligence. It always becomes a game on what words they can come up with instead oof the "f" word

Melora

I agree with ffg-lar. Whatever happened to "You\'re welcome"? I\'m almost ready to start asking that in reply. Or maybe I\'ll ask, "Is that the same as \'You\'re welcome\'?"

The English teacher in me cringes that there are so few people in the world, and specifically so many in the media, who don\'t know the difference between "there is" (singular) and "there are" (plural). Countless times I hear media personnel and the majority of the people they interview (completely ignoring sports personalities -- they are a lost cause) say things like "There\'s many factors here." "There\'s two things we have to do first," etc., etc. Some people have never in their lives used the two words "there are" together in a sentence!

It used to be that one could expect to always hear correct grammar and sentence construction on TV and radio, but not anymore. (Yes, I am aware that I split that infinitive!)

And just this minute I heard, "There were no witnesses or people who witnessed the event."

Archived