I can do FEATHERS -- Part II

Thanks to Darlene, I'm getting there! I'm working on a practice stencil that has feathers all the way around. If it turns out decently, then I'm going to do them on a quilt I'm working on in the borders. We'll see.....

Thanks for being so nice you guys....

You are doing a great job!! Keep practicing, it's like a light bulb moment, just one day, all of a sudden, like a bolt of lightning...you are quilting and you get a crazy thought..."I'll try a feather - again" then wham! It looks like a feather....You are doing very well...my bump-bump feathers were not hot in the beginning...then just like that, it worked. Of course I bought Sherry's book - that helped me.

Hey check you out!! Great job....

Now for the next step: try making your feathers a little longer and a little narrower (skinnier) so that the feather tips are smaller (you'll have an easier time backtracking over the humps that way). :) When I am backtracking, I stop halfway up the tip and start my next new (fat) feather.

More PPP you are definitely getting there. Proud of you. :)

See the highlights in yellow where the skinny/narrow hops are going back (halfway up the tip). I find this easier.

post--13461900200992_thumb.jpg

Shana thanks for the visuals.. that makes so much sense.. will have to try it.

Dory, you are coming right along.. and I find what helps me is what someone suggested.. draw the spine line, then another line paralell to it where the petals of the feather will be at the furtherest point.. that really helped.. and making sure I stop before I get to the spine also makes it look better.. I'm still learning.. and have a lot of improvement, so enjoy what you are doing, and each feather you make will be an improvement over the one before..

RitaR

Hi Dory,

You're coming along great! Just remember the basic shape is a teardrop; longer and thinner than the shape you're using. Also, spend more time on paper than you think you need and it will be MUCH easier when you get to the machine. Draw, draw, draw until the rhythm is automatic.

The technique Shana uses is especially useful when going around inside curves. :)

You saw my first feathers in person, so you KNOW how far you are ahead of where I started! I wasn't smart enough to practice on paper first, and pretty much gave up for several years after that first attempt. LOL

BTW, to continue adding to other posts, just scroll down to the bottom of the page and hit the Reply button. If you want to start a new Topic, hit the Topic button etc.

Shana...that makes sense...using a smaller feather to backtrack over...I'm going to try that.

Darlene, my feathers are fat. I keep trying to get them on a diet, but they just won't listen:P:P I'm going to keep trying though and who knows, maybe the diet will rub off on me!!! (thanks for the help with the post reply button; I've always just done the quick reply.)

We have a meeting room with a huge dry erase board; guess where I generally am on my breaks??;)

So...the spine thing...Rita are you basically drawing the spine and then lines on either side to stretch your feathers too? That makes sense...I have to go give that a try.

Shana, thank you for the visual and for the tip about skinny feathers.

Dory your feathers are looking so good for just starting out. My goodness you should be way proud. If I can convince the dog that I need her blankie for a minute I will see if I can post a picture of my first ones, which may be better than my now ones Oh Dear more PPP with the pencil.

Dory,

I often mark the feather spine but don't stitch it first. Instead I would feather up the right side then slide down the spin, basically connecting the dots of the feathers and then I can feather back up. There are some that can go both directions when doing their feathers but I haven't mastered that yet! There are also others that feather both sides at the same time...yeah not there yet either! What I like about the way I do it is that if the spine has to be adjusted then I can adjust wash the marks out and nobody knows but me!

Wow, Dory, You're getting some great expert advice here. The stencil you're using looks like fat feathers--those blue marks in the first picture? They are telling us to use skinny feathers--IS THERE A STENCIL WITH SKINNY FEATHERS??:o

I think you have the basics down. Now PPP like you're getting ready for MQS2009!!:D

And no more feeling like yours are not good. They are freehanded and better than mine:)

I agree.....and I think I have seen you before ;):P....now that I have a picture to look at....I shopped a bunch at the Lemon Valley grocery stores and then of course Golden Valley Raley's.....may have even seen you in Windy Moon.... wouldn't that be a hoot.;):P

Thanks for the compliments...both on the feathers and the avatar. Its an older picture, but the only one I could find. I prefer to be behind the camera!!:P

Bonnie, I didn't spend much time in Lemon Valley or Golden Valley. But I do/did spend time at Windy Moon. What year did you move?

My stencil does have fatter feathers, but I'm using it mostly as a guide for where they should end up. I'm not going to attempt to copy them exactly...at least I'm going to try not to. We'll see.

I had some extra time this afternoon to spend practicing on the dry erase board in our meeting room....practiced the skinny feathers using Shana's skinny/fatter method and tried putting a dotted line out to where I wanted the feathers to end. They don't look half bad.

:)

Originally posted by DoryJM

Bonnie, I didn't spend much time in Lemon Valley or Golden Valley. But I do/did spend time at Windy Moon. What year did you move?

I quilted for Windy Moon from Spring of 1998 to Late summer of 2004 and left the area on November 4th 2004. Was in there alot till I left...and also took some classes from the quilting staff, and taugh Embroidery digitizing, and Basic Computer classes.

Bonnie...I didn't really start quilting until '95 or so. Reno/Sparks area really is small though--its likely we did see each other. Did you commit any crimes which required an appearance in the DA's Office?? C'mon...you can tell me:P:P I worked there until 91.

Originally posted by DoryJM

Did you commit any crimes which required an appearance in the DA's Office?? C'mon...you can tell me:P:P I worked there until 91.

Do you think I would be so silly to do something like that with my DH a Reserve Deputy Sheriff for Washoe County, and a Team Leader with the Washoe County Sheriff's Hasty Team....and A Training Officer for the Washoe County Fire Department. I DON'T think so...at least if I wanted to keep my happy home. Nope not me....Me has never been in trouble....I'm better than that just didn't ever get caught....:P:P:P:P

Besides....knowing at least by glance, and nod Dick, and knowing Mills (when he was on the bench) by first name was enough to keep me out of to much trouble.:P:P:P Not to mention I was Senator Washington's Secretary before he became a Senator.... Me nope Me was the perfect Angel.....:P:P:P;)

Okay, Okay....you were a good girl. But maybe that's how I knew you. I was friends with all those guys and worked for Mills while he was DA. (You heard about his stroke, right? Very sad) We could have seen each other at a Christmas party or something.

Originally posted by Mary Beth

What is a "Hasty Team"? Hasty reminds me of tasty...and when I think of tasty I think of doughnuts and when I think of doughnuts I think of law enforcement officers :o Am I getting there?

No the Hasty Team.....were the good guys. Oh, they could eat as well, but they were the good guys.

They were the ones that cut you out of cars when you crashed and needed to be extracted from one...they were the ones that went out into the wilderness, rain, sleet or sunshine and found your booty, when you were to stupid to know which way was home...or if you were to stupid to stay out of the abandon mines, they were the ones to crawl in and get you out....broken or not. Gene was one of the trackers so if no one knew where you were Fernando and Gene were the ones to go get you out....They also did River Rescue, and Ice Rescue should you go out and play there and not come home either.

They stand ready at all the Air Races, in case of an emergency...and they do wonderful things for the community. I don't think they are as active as they were once, but they do wonderful things and Gene was very proud and so was I that he belong to them.

Some of the things they have done are even being practiced out here...and the fire department that Gene is now with think they have a celebrity amoung them...which embarasses him to no end....:cool:

And yes, I did/do know about the stroke....way sad....but hear that he is doing better or as best he will ever get....he was still out here when we moved here, but of course never saw him...did talk to a couple of the wives from his old firm, and they said he was back home again, or at least was at the time of conversation.:(

Dory, yes that's what I'm doing with feathers now, and it really does seem to help.. remember though if you want some areas shorter and others longer to make the outside line that way.. I don't go all the way to the center line.. that way I only have two stem lines there now, and it looks much neater.

Just hang in there, don't get impatient and suddenly it will work easily.. and be real fun, not just almost fun.

Rita R

Shana, when do you put your stem in? Is it the first thing you do at the beginning and then do you back track to your "start point" at the bottom.

Dory, your feathers are looking great. Mine still need work and they seem to keep looking uglier the more I try. They look so ugly that when I have customers call, I tell them right up front - I don't do feathers - at least not yet. I'll keep practicing.

Archived