Gustoff (or however you spell it)

Hey Guys,

Linda outted me earlier this week as a meteorologist. I became interesed in meteorology when I was in high school. My dad was the off-shore production manager for Exxon and we would get hurricane information from Nash Roberts (all you Louisiana people remember him). Dr Steve Lyons (the hurricane expert on the Weather Channel) was on my advisory committee for my masters. I don't practice WX any more (I'm a quilter) but I trust his information over those who would hype it out for ratings. Good luck guys! Sorta wish I was there (professionally speaking).

Donna

Nash Roberts!! Holy Cow, I grew up with him. He was always dead on when it came to predicting where hurricanes would go and that was before all the new equipment and such. Sure brings back memories. My family in Houma (Terrebone Parish) have everything tied down and are tucked away on higher ground or are on the way out of state. I didn't worry about hurricanes so much years back but now that a lot of the marsh and small barrier islands are gone there's not much to stop the water from coming in and causing lots of flooding. Keep all those Gulf Coast people in your prayers.

Went in to town today (had a nail in my tire) and WOW! were there Louisianna tags everywhere or what? We had a hard time getting around as lots of them seemed lost - and no doubt they are. I noticed this time they are taking anything they can load. We are worried here about tornados and of course, being so hot! Sue, I bought your book so I can practice freemotion using paper and pencil while the power is off. I got the T-shirt quilt off the frame and the sewing room cleaned up so I can find things in the dark. Never did get a belt for the treadle machine and may regret that. Don't have a good book but I do plan to draw some pantographs which should take my mind off things. We'll see. Thanks for all the good thoughts from ya'll. :o

A little news from Houma, LA. Houma was hit directly by the eye but, thank the Lord, it was mostly wind and a little water. The local TV channel lost its tower but came back on the internet in a streaming website. From the pictures I saw, there was a lot of wind damage (roofs off, trees down, signs down, etc) but so far no high water. The same goes for Morgan City and New Orleans. Levees held and now that the wind has stopped pushing in water from the South, the water should stop rising and recede. People are not being allowed back into the towns until some of the debris is cleaned up and power is back on. I'm waiting for the website to come back up to see videos that were taken as the TV crews drove up and down the bayou routes. So far, I do know that my sister & husband have lost part of their roof which isn't too bad since they lost the whole house in Katrina. They built the new house up on 12 foot pilings so water rising wasn't a problem. The website in case you're interested is: HTV10.com

One remark the newscaster said was "There was no reason he could see why the Hurricane dropped from a Cat 4 to a Cat 2 so quickly! But he really now believes in the power of prayer!!"

Archived