Prairie points question

I just got an email from a customer saying:

"The pattern has prairie points sewn into the last border seam which would require pinning them back or something. Do you want me to do something special with them? You may have seen the pattern/ It's a kit with a Mother Goose panel in it."

What do I need to know??? Do I just quilt further away from the edge?

Jessica, I haven't quilted prairie points, but I have pinned back 3D pinwheels (kinda the same thing) so I could quilt underneath, then after I was done under those areas, I unpinned so they layed flat and I continued quilting. Just pin them back temporarily. Is this the answer you are looking for? (just want to make sure I understood your question)

I always think of prairie points as pointing outwards from the quilt, but this sounds like they are pointed inwards, in which case, yes, let her pin them out of the way. Or, it may be easier to use a basting stitch and stitch them to a piece of grosgrain ribbon pulled away from the quilt or something like that which would keep them out of the way without so many pins. Or she may like them outlined SID fashion.

Hi Jess,

It sounds like the prairie points are pointed in. It is a shame she didn't send a picture. It doesn't sound like she is putting the prairie points on afterwards as the edging. If she was then you would need to let at least 1/2" from the edge not quilted. You will just need to pin them back or hold them out of your way as you quilt the border. After you have it quilted if the prairie points want to stick straight out then I would stitch in the ditch at the seam so they will lay flat but still be dimensional.. Hope that helps. You will know what to do when you get it

Mom

:P:D Love it, thanks Deloa for the chuckles! I quilted one of those but got the customer to leave the prairie points off until after it was quilted. I was afraid that they'd stand straight up after I quilted up close to them, and they were supposed to point in instead of out. I was lucky and got to see the quilt before it was done and talk with the lady.;)

It's funny when i call home because I will call 3 different numbers (mom cell, dad cell, studio number) and end up having to call my sisters cell phones to get a hold of mom... and the first thing she says..."why didnt you call my cell phone"....ugh.

I used to be understanding about the time difference but that went out the window a long time ago when I get calls at 5:30 am. Love you mom!

I did a quilt with prairie points that were put on after it was quilted. The points covered what I had quilted because we didn't know where they were going to go. Be sure to ask your customer about that so you don't spend time quilting where it will be covered.

Deloa, I so know what you mean about not hearing the phone when there is noise around! I even put the vibrate on mine but the vibration is so light that doesn't work either! I finally downloaded the theme song from the Soprano's and that "Wah, Wah, Wah" part gets my attention. But then I get looks when it gets to the part about "Get yourself a gun...". I have trouble reaching my sister sometimes for the same reason, but I just email her to answer the phone, works everytime!

Deloa,

LOL I was going to tell Jess she wasn't alone but didn't want that to sound like I was harrassing you! I knew you would take care of me!!!! Now Jess has to put up with me in two classes! I'll be sending my check out next week when I get back from vacation unless I can get it done tonight before I leave! Too many things to do and my day job is not cooperating!

I did a sampler earlier this year and the piecer had PP facing the 3-inch outer border (between the inner and outer border). It was pieced very well.

I put a chalk mark on the last border even with the valley between the points. I used painters tape to hold the points back so I could quilt "under" them. I chose a pattern that was continuous and then flared out at the chalk mark so it would be seen between the PPs. I think I did 1-2-3s in the valleys and simple loops to travel to the next valley.

I think that with the folds an the border seams, prairie points are too many layers of fabric to SID. However, I didn't want those points to flip inward after quilting so I had to do something to nail then down. I just quilted a wavy line on the seam with the PPs waving into the PP about a 1/4" to catch the seams but avoiding the intersections of the PPs. I don't know if that makes sense. I have photos at home but not here. Let me know if you want it.

That is a great way that Linda has done the pp's...;)

Mine were right on the edge so I had to leave plenty of bat and backing and pin it right back out of the way (a good couple of inches) then I quilted NOT up to the edge on the front cos I had to hand sew the backing etc to the back of the pp's - what a PITA!! Then I pinned it back onto Milli by its points a border at a time and quilted tiny bubbles right up to the edge:mad:

(Look up Kentuckii in the forum archive to see a pic)

LINZI xx

Archived