looking for pattern

looking for instructions on a comforter . thought they were called puffy quilts, something like that but cant find a thing. Each square is stuffed individually creating a veryy puffy look, like many small pillows sewn together. Would like to find actual instructions rather than just winging it. Ring a bell to anyone?

I guess I'll date myself and say I remember these toppers from the late 50's/ early 60's. I think they were called bisquit quilts!

I don't know the exact measurements, but you start with a background square --- say 4" square. Then you cut your top square maybe an inch larger--5".

Place the squares wrong sides together and , by taking tucks or pleats in the larger square, you make the two squares match in length. Turn the corner and continue down two more sides in the same way until you get to the third corner. You now have a little "pocket" thing.

Then you stuff the pocket with poly fiberfill and finish the last side. There is your bisquit! Make a zillion and sew them together for your topper.

BTW these things were usually all hand-pieced and sewn--excellent to take along on errands, etc.

The larger your top square, the puffier your quilt will be. Also, your bisquit will be rounder if you concentrate the tucks near the center of the sides. I'll see if I can find an old pattern, but I bet you can figure it out easily.

This would make a great pillow top. Have fun!

Linda Rech

Lovin' my Millennium

Oly Wa.

There's another snowman quilt pattern, for a wall hanging size or sofa-quilt size, in the December'03 issue of Quiltmaker magazine. The website address is: www.quiltmaker.com, Don't know if the pattern is archived or not. The photo on the cover of the December issue is 1 of the snowmen looking out of the window; the pattern within the pages of the magazine shows 5 different snowmen looking out windows, plus 4 windows with trees. If the pattern isn't archived, let me know & I'll send you a xeroxed copy. I have that issue out at the moment, as I'm making the paper foundation pieced snowflake quilt that's also in this issue. Now that I look at the snowman quilt, I think that'll be the next project!;)

If you look on Kaye Wood's website you will find a pattern for these. She did a whole series on this kind of quilt and has a system where you use a grid - can't explain but it does work! I did one of these a few years ago and it was a great favorite on my guest bed. I have the pattern and could photo copy it and send it to you if you want but the previous writers mentioned The Quilter Jan edition and it has one almost exactly like the one I used. Hope this helps.

• 7 months later...

There's a good step by step instructions of this method/ quilt in a book called "The Quilter's Ultimate Visual Guide" By Ellen Pahl it's on page53.

Basically in a nut shell to make "Biscuits" by sewing machine the top square should be about 4" and the backing square should be 3 1/2" (the finished biscuit square should be 3").

1) Pin the 4 corners of each top square to the backing square (wrong sides together).

2) Sew three sides of the suqare (there will be 1 pleat per side of the square) using a 1/8" seam allowance. This can be chain pieced. The 4th side remains open so you can stuff the biscuits with fiber fill, but not too tightly. Once they are stuffed then sew up the last seam using 1/8" seam.

3) Connect the biscuits together right sides together in pairs of 2s.

4) Then sew the desired # of rows together matching seams and alternating the seam allowances.

To cover the exposed seams on the back you will lay the biscuit quilt out flat and measure the width & length through the center (this is the exact measurement you need for the backing fabric. Pin the backing fabric wrong sides together on top of the biscuit quilt top. and sew around the sides using a 1/4" seam allowance leaving an opening to turn the quilt. Turn quilt and hand stitch opening closed. Then pin each intersection between the biscuits and tack the layers together to secure all layers.

Thats about it...if you want to add piping or a ruffle along the edge attatch it to the backing fabric before stitching and turning. Would make a great baby quilt but the bulk may be too much to work with in a larger quilt.

Joann

Thank you ladies for responding!! I have the Quilters guide and have recently finished a quilt using that books instructions. The method I am looking for is the Kay Woods method. I was hoping that someone would be able to explain it to me. From what little i have read about it, it is supposed to be a quicker method and does not have as much bulk.

This sounds like a nice soft and puffy project! But would one really need to

put a backing on it? If you have different colors or squares to use for your

base fabric - flannels would be nice - then you would have a bit of design

to your backing already. I think I could use up a bunch of my batting scraps

to stuff these with!

I went to a quilt show that had many old vintage quilts - they had one very

similar to this method, but done by hand. But ewww.... it was stuffed with

nylons! I guess that is a way to recycle, but I will stick with the nice soft

batting or fiber fill! :D

Archived