MSS or CSS? (menopause stupid stunt/cant remember Shi*!

Ok, warning gals....

I loaded a top, twelve 12" blocks, i've been McT'ing in, using bottom line in the bottom....

It sat unfinished on the machine while we were at daughter's wedding....Got back to quilting this week and started using the top colored thread (creamier than the white bottom line I started with) IN THE BOBBIN! Just about finished McT'ing the remaining blocks when I noticed the baggie sitting on the floor behind the bobbin winder machine. Picked it up and it's marked Bottom Line White.

THAT's when I remembered I started using the white in the bobbin when I started...not the creamier color.

Ok. I have about 4 of the 12 blocks with white in the bobbin, and the remaining 8 in the creamier color.

Rip...Rip....Rip? I'm saying Hell NO! Gotta talk to it's owner to see what she's doing with this thing.

Stupid move...I kept both baggies with the bobbins wound, marked on the baggies...color/type sitting on the same shelf. The one I was using fell to the floor at some time, and I started grabbing the other ones by mistake. **SIGH**

Ya think I should frog it? Y or N ???!!

Oh that is miserable. I've gotten in the habit of only including whatever bobbins I'm using cause I did the same thing you did and oh it is so frustrating. I would ask her to see if it will bother her and give her a discount for my stupidity. If you have to frog it I'd have a glass of whine and a dose of patience (chocolate...lots of chocolate) and start croaking! I don't envy you...hate, hate, hate frogging!

:o Oh No!! :o This is dreadful, Sheri! :(

Frogging is a pain, but ... Frogging the McTavishing is a PITA in the most gigantic way possible. Depending on how tight you quilted the McTavishing, it's gonna take you forever and a day to rip that McTavishing out. Plus, you risk ripping or tearing a hole in the fabric in the process. I would talk to the customer before you do anything. If she lives nearby, have her come over to take a look with her eyes and explain the situation, all of the options, and the potential damage you might cause with ripping out the stitches.

(((hugging my sista)))

PS: I think you should consider this a "design element" and do some of them in cream, some of them in white, so they go together. Isn't that what quilters do to help mask their mistakes??? They play up on the error and make it part of the intended design. Maybe this quilt was meant to have two different kinds of thread for background McTavishing... play up on the newly created design element and make it work. I think this is the best option and you might be very pleased that it really looks good when it's all finished. :)

((((thinking positive vibes for you, my sista))))

Don't frog!

IF you can really tell the difference (which, without seeing it, I doubt), then clearly it is a design element, as Shana wisely points out. In fact, you should probably charge extra for using the decorative threads in the bobbin, thereby making the quilt reversible.

As Bonnie points out, there may be a case of CRS here, but Sheri, you were concerned with CSS, which presumably is "Can't SEE Sh**". Many or us "of a certain age" have this syndrome, so don't forget is is possible your customer has it as well. What I'm getting at is, if you don't point it out, will she even notice?

I would have to agree with all of the above - if the backing isn't a plain white backing and you can't notice it - consult with your customer and show her the beauty of it.

To frog McT could result in a much larger nightmare. You really have a much greater chance of putting holes in the back where the threads meet at a point in the McT.

Best of luck; you know we all feel your pain and wish we could make it go away.

Is it at all possible to take a picture of the underside of the quilt?

If not, can you do a sample of both threads on the edge and take a picture of it there so we can see how it really looks?

Also let us see what both threads look like on the spool.

It may not look as bad to the rest of us as it does to you, and we can give you unemotional opinions. We are always harder on ourselves than others are.

The back IS white. It isn't that noticeable to be honest, its just the fact that I stopped dead in my tracks and went OH S _ _ T!

I've called her and she's stopping by today. She laughed, and said it's for herself to cozy up with this winter, and its no big deal, but im gonna make her look at it anyway!

Luckily, she's a friend of the family...that helped (i think..)

If it happens again - and it likely will happen to one of us!;) - do what they do in the software development field and call it an "undocumented feature"! That's courtesy of my DH, the computer programmer......:P

I like the idea of charging extra for the "decorative thread" in the bobbin - I'll have to remember that one!

And you know what CRS degenerates into, don't you? CRAFT: Can't Remember A F---ing Thing.....:D It takes a good solid wine and chocolate treatment (with maybe a spa massage thrown in) to properly treat it.....

Isn't Bottom Line supposed to be one of those somewhat "invisible" threads for the back? Now that we know it's white, does it truly show?

Check with customer always, confess, apologize, and be strong in your conviction--use Dawn Cavanaugh's words: "As you can see" it isn't noticeable...:cool:

LOL Barb! Ok, so now CRAFT may be my new word for a while. LMBO!

Thanks Bonnie for the extra vote of dawn's confidence booster!

She saw it last nite. All's fine Thank The Lord!

Bottom line is pretty thin and snugs up into the backing of the quilt quite nicely, however....blocks, side by side...oh yeah, you can see it. (maybe thats just me)...anyway .. all's well.

Archived