NQR - my kitchen's current state

Aren't you glad we have Crest and everything else now? This is dated 1949, and still has something in the can. I'm hoping that it will be worth thousands on Antiques Roadshow (LOL!) and pay for the remodel. If you want to try it, let me know, I'll send you some in a plastic bag.

post--13461900337163_thumb.jpg

Mary Beth told me how to make the pictures smaller, and I thought I had it figured out still. Obviously not.

Bonnie,

Yes, there will be frequent updates. "The scheduled plan" states that we'll be through by Thanksgiving. Here's hoping! Of course, we haven't even figured out where to order the cabinets from, let alone actually order them. We've got time, we're going down to the studs before we start putting together again. If nothing else, I'll be getting my exercise this way. You walk into the kitchen to grab whatever, only to realise that all the "whatevers" are in the dining room. Back out, then to the kitchen for something from the fridge, and repeat. I think the only things that are staying are the stove, purchased days after our 1998 honeymoon, and the fridge which is less than one month old.

Beth

I'll suggest the Island sink to Randall, but don't hold your breath. I saw a sink for sale at a garage sale on our walk today, didn't bring it home though.

I'm not so sure about the toothpaste. My parents pulled and straightened out many pounds of the square nails in the house I grew up in with the plan to sell those. They sat on the mantle for many years, never made any money on those.

We've found all kinds of stuff in the 2 houses we've lived in during our marriage. The first house had a series of canes and even a parasol in the attic. This house had a Bible in the attic, and now the toothpaste. Makes me wonder what secrets the downstairs bathroom (and the hopefully last thing to remodel) will hold.

Beth

About a year ago, Margie and I decided to surprise my mom and dad with a new kitchen in their forty year-old house.

They were leaving for a two week vacation so as soon as they were out of sight, all my sisters, their husbands, my brother, and all the kids who were old enough to help met us at the house and we started tearing things apart!

We demolished everything down to the studs, then re-plumbed, re-insulated, re-wired, re-drywalled, re-floored, re-painted, re-cabineted, re-applianced and re-laxed for the two hours we had to spare before they drove back down the driveway.

I was a little worried that one of them might have a heart attack when they walked in the house, but not to worry... My dad has a rather dry sense of humor and his reaction was: "Mother, I think someone's been here while we were gone..."

My mom just stood and cryed. She's wanted me to help her modernize her kitchen for quite some time. She's still in awe. It's good to be able to do that to your mother once in while. It keeps her feeling guilty for all those times she punished me unfairly...

mrmargie

Oh Mr. Margie, I don't feel a bit guilty when my sons do wonderful things for me! After all, I was a single mom, totally involved - carpooled, hockey mom, etc. They grew up and left ME! LOL

Beth, good luck with your kitchen project can't wait to see the finished product!

too bad you're not close to Youngstown, Oh...there's a Kitchen Craft warehouse -open on certain Saturdays -EARLY -you go there, pick a number and are let in in order...ALL cabinets...whether it's a broom closet, sink cabinet or breadbox are $79 -had a friend that did her entire kitchen for a fraction of what was estimated! might be worth a try to see if there's something like that in your area...Rita

When you guys get done out there do ya want to come out here and do mine...with all the experience and knowledge, it would be a piece of cake for you to make my ugly nasty "L" shaped kitchen into something gorgeous and functional.....

Good luck.....and happy kitchen when its done.

I remember using tooth powder about 40 years ago.

My mom taught me how to use it.

She would pour the powder into her hand and dip her wet brush in it.

I think it must have had powdered sugar in it.

As soon as I wet my toothbrush and dipped it in the powder, the powder dissolved into sort of a gooey mess.

I was thankful when toothpaste became popular.

Remember Ipana?

And this: "You'll wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent."

How sweet the memories.

Hey Beth, do you have family and friends close by to help during the demolition and rebuilding?

I'm sure it'll be really nice when it's done in time for the holidays.

In the meantime, let me know if you want a change of scenery.

I'm not too far away.

Beth - I feel for you. We bought a house in Calif. to retire in and had to gut the house and start over. At least we didn't have to live there while remodeling. We should be pretty close to finished by this Christmas. We will take a month off to do the finishing work. We even took out the old heating system. Hard to believe some people live in such filth as we found in our house. Dismanteling the kitchen wasn't too bad cause the cabinets weren't even connected to the walls. The counter tops weren't connected to the cabinets either. I told my husband that was a good feature cause if anything got stuck in the drawers, you could just lift up the counter top and just pull it out.:D:D:D You'll love it when all is said and done. We took out 5th wheel out there to stay in while working on the house. I can imagine what my mood would be to have to live in it. Yuk!!!!!

Thank you all for your sympathy and support. My mom lives nearby, in fact I'm going out there on Wed. to can tomatoes. She has AC and a range hood, I have neither. Even when the kitchen was intact! DH Randall grew up helping his dad who is a contractor, and he can do anything. I am so lucky to have him!

According to my darling mother, you'd think I'd learn! The house I mostly grew up in was begun in 1865. The first 4 rooms. It went out to the left, and the quality of work went downhill. Thankfully, dad and grandpa were both adept at these things. The real "fun" was the year that the bathroom was outside, so you had to sidle along sideways to take a shower. Any wonder we all had pneumonia that year? When we re-did the kitchen, they gutted it to the point that there was a portion of the house, then a big empty space with a tractor sitting in it, then the remains of the lean-to, with the bathroom in it. The kitchen was in a 2 bedroom trailer (it wasn't even a mobile home) in the backyard. The night we moved into the kitchen was when mom sent me outside to start dinner, and the faucet handle came off in my hand. She was varnishing kitchen cabinets that Grandpa had built at the time. I went in and asked mom what to do about it. Her response was "That's it! We're moving in tonight!" When I'd come and ask her where to put something, she say "Over there, that cabinet's dry." And that is why things were placed in some funky locations in that kitchen.

Oh but it was such a character builder to grow up there, and all of my houses have since become progressively new in comparison. The last one was built in 1917, and this one was built in 1929! It's practically new!

I'm off to work at the hosp. today, so happy labor day everyone!

Beth

Archived