Sign in to follow this  
Brenni

Finally - A Lenni on TV

I was watching Fons and Porter today. The show was longarm basics and they had Heidi using a Lenni. In the tips portion of the show they showed how to pull the bobbin thread to the top!

I had to laugh because they talked about prewound bobbins - guess they did not want to show how the sidewinder works.

I recommend all Lenni owners TIVO it.

TIVO is a brand of digital recording. DVR. The greatest invention in the last 50 years. No more commercials. You can pause live TV.

I ran out of quilts to quilt and am in the processing of making some. I also had a pile of quilts that needed the hand sewing on the binding. I dread it but once I get started, I don't really mind.

Sidewinder directions - 1) Place on Driveway in small box 2) Back car over item continuously until box is less than 1" thick

I really have to find another way to wind bobbins.

Brenni

I have visions of a crazed lady with steam coming out her nostrils and her hair standing on end burning a lot of rubber off her tyres!

I haven't been able to find the previous posts on bobbin winders. Perhaps someone will chime in and give directions.

Googling I found Allbrands which has one for $69 (if it's suitable?) and Gammill have the winder I used for my L style bobbins for around $90.

Despite your woes it sounds like you are powering through those quilt tops. I'm only on number four!

Regards, Judy

Love the Lenni. Hate the bobbin winder. Others have given advice and I am on the hunt for an old DSM machine now. It just takes time. I may go peek at the Gammill winder you referenced. Thanks for the tip.

I only do pantos so don't be too impressed with my quantity.

LOL Brenni, do you know why the $80 Gammill bobbin winder is so popular?

Because the Gammill onboard bobbin winder would be in the driveway next to the Lenni winder.:D:P

I do like my stand-alone bobbin winder, though.

Linda Card

APQS Chat Member since August 2005

Ramona Quilter Longarm Quilting Service (Retired Dec 2013)
Gammill Optimum Plus (sold to a friend Dec 2013)
Ramona, CA (Moved to Central Texas Sep 2014)

My webshots site: http://community.webshots.com/user/legcard (not active)
Blog site: http://ramona-quilter-big-dream.blogspot.com/ (not updated in months)

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

yeh, agreed, that sidewinder is junk. maybe if I super-glued it to a really heavy base, it would be somewhat useful.

fortunately my DSM Pfaff 7570 (yes-about 15 years young) has an on-board bobbin winder that fits the Lenni bobbins. works great.

Now if the Lenni just had a "bobbin thread about empty" sensor like my Pfaff... :(

The Running Stitcher ~ Donna

I ordered the $89 Gammill winder as suggested. I will let you know how it works when I get it.

I thought about super glue too. I finally figured out a way to fold the lid over the edge of the table to keep the winder from crawling away.

You can fix your bobbin winder delima by getting one from ABM, much better than the commercial machine winder, I have one of those too. The ABM winder will wind an M bobbin in about 5 seconds flat and do an excellent job of it, Hey they build large commercial quilting machines I think they know how to wind a bobbin or two.

Brian,

Do you know if the ABM winder will handle an "L" size bobbin, as well as the larger "M" bobbin?

314B4A28F5D2B9A393862864B500E102.png
Barbara Mayfield
APQS Sales Representative & Educator
AND Quilt Path owner!!!

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best." ~Henry van Dyke

APQS Northwest

1315 NW Mall Street, Suite 4

Issaquah, WA  98027

(425) 243-3502

info@apqsnw.com

www.apqsnw.com

I don't know if you guys feel comfy about ebay;)..but i bought a industrial winder for 50.00.:D It is great winds very even and FAST. just an idea. they have several on there now, just type bobbin winder in the search box and scroll down. Good luck jacque

Jacque

Actually, you can order the Turbo bobbin winder from APQS. I really like mine. I can't remember the cost off the top of my head.

Jessica Schick

Digi-Tech Designs, llc

www.digitechpatterns.com ~Digital, Paper, & Embroidery Quilting patterns

~APQS, Quilt Path, & Intelliquilter Sales, Service, & Education

I had 2 of the sidewinders. One came with Lenni and I sold them both to s u c k e r s who wanted them. I wind my bobbins on my mechanical Bernina that I have had for about 22 years and that seems to work perfect. Thank goodness I never traded it in.

mountainquilter

Diana: