Fall Flower

A while back, I mentioned that I would go a get a Hibiscus plant when the nurserys got them in and I picked up 2 plants about 3 weeks ago. Here is the bloom that is on one of them. I love this flower. So simple and beautiful - here is a picture of my Red Hibiscus.

2772999350094956607S500x500Q85.jpg

It seems so funny to have a flower bring happiness to your heart, but that is what this one does for me. thanks for looking :cool:

Edie & Meg. This one is a baby plant so I haven't pruned it back yet. Last January, I saw some white hibiscus blooming on the East side of a home. I'm hoping that this will do the same. This is on a West wall in a courtyard, so I'm hoping that blooms will continue to form thru the winter. :cool:

Wow that is one pretty hibiscus. I have a miniature pink one that is very ruffly. but it only blooms in late summer and late fall. I always know when winter is coming cause it quits blooming. I expect we will see it on one of your colored quilty things soon.

Patty Jo,

Your hibiscus is beautiful. Is this a special type that blooms all year round? Or is your climate so mild? Actually, I never imagined Oregon to have warm winters - but what do I know...

Actually, I have a blue hibiscus plant in my front yard. My MIL gave it to me a few years ago. She grows them from seeds.

When the blossoms open each year it's a new surprise - depending on the amount of water and current mineral mix in the soil the blossoms will have a different color each year. So far we had any shade of blue, purple and magenta and several shades in between. I just love this plant...

The most amazing hibiscuses so far I have seen in Southern Spain. They have hedges of wild and cultivated hibiscus plants blooming all year round in all shades of yellow, orange, red, pink and blue...

Enjoy your little treasure,

Birgit

There are actually 2 plants in this pot, this red one and another one that is white with a pink center. They are rated to be able to grow in a climate that gets down to 15 degrees. I think the coldest that I've seen here in Salem is about 10, so I'll go out and cover it and move it closer to the house if it looks like we will get really cold. I put them in a big pot just for that reason. I'm not sure when these are suppose to bloom but obviously it's bloomin for now. I did see one in January that was blooming last winter, but our winter here wasn't as bad as others we have had. As Bekah said she can tell when winter is really here because hers quits blooming. My first love before I found quilting was gardening, but now with my arthritis in my hands, I just can't do as much as I used to, so now I grow pots of flowers rather than big beds of flowers. Thanks for looking at my hibiscus. :cool:

I have never liked gardening - am allergic to so many things growing and whenever I tried to garden I would end up with hives - YUCK!!! It is so nice to live in a condo and have the gardeners take care of whatever we plant - I plan to redo some of my garden down south this winter and will be incorporating more hibiscus and also jasmine - just love the little white flowers and the smell. Also the grapefruit trees smell delicious when the little blossoms come out twice a years. My DH takes care of the flower pots here in Kent and he does a pretty good job - his answer to gardening since we are in a condo here too.

Originally posted by sammi357

bonnie- There was a plant like that where I worked, it was potted and indoors. It bloomed and bloomed. Course, it was a 'courtyard' type center area of an office building, with a skylight, so maybe it was the skylight?

might be a solution for cold climates where they don't do well.

sammi

Sammi....thank you...I honestly hadn't thought about it being able to be in a large enough pot to pull in and out each season....I will have to try to find one...I have a sort of hibiscus tree in the back yard...the flower looks very much like this, but NOTHING in size or leaf....its a passionate pink..will have to see what I actually have, but I don't think its a tropical Hibiscus.

Archived