NQR - Paul Newman

I just wanted to "publicly mourn" this man who went through Hollywood with nary a scandal and, while there was a time that he probably could have bedded almost any woman in America, he is famous for his statement, "Why go out for hamburger when I have steak at home?" about JoAnne Woodward, to whom he was married for 50 years.

Not only that, he was a terrific actor.

Sunday morning TV was talking about him and my 10 year old grandson said, "who's Paul Newman, Gramma?" Well, I tried to think of a movie he might has heard of --nope--- car racing----nope--- sundance kid? ---nope then CBS came back to talk about him some more and showed a bottle of Newman's Own Salad Dressing!!! Parker immediately knew who he was!!! We talked about his "hole in the wall gang" so the kids would know he was more than salad dressing!!!! Make me feel old when things like that happen. How could anyone not know who he was!!!!

A small (20 people) quilt guild that I belong to makes quilts for our local Hole in the Wall camp which opened this past summer. (The camp gives a quilt to each attendee for them to take home.) Last spring the guild made over 50 quilts to get them started. Anyway, when we hear how ill Paul had become, we decided that we would like to make him a quilt, so we contacted the foundation to see if it would be possible to get one to him. We were assured that it would be possible, so several members started on making this quilt. I was asked to quilt it. What an honor! So I quilted the quilt. We were a bit pressed for time, so I just did an overall meander of evergreen trees, as we are known as the evergreen state and the fabric we used was from a shop hop depicting scenes from around the state.

I am going to try to include a quick closeup of my quilting and one of the 'scene' blocks. It was just a simple quilt with nine patches and plain blocks.

post--13461900511117_thumb.jpg

Archived