Fulltime JOB or QUILTING

My curiosity has me again. Just wondering if there are any of you who left Good paying Jobs to pursue Quilting Fulltime and master your skill? Everyone I know thinks I'm loosing my marbles and so are there others out there? I plan to do just that by the years end. I'm so close I can taste it. Still some things to complete first. (Like that studio). lol

Hey Grammie... I will retire from UPS in January of 2007. (ONE YEAR LEFT). Then I plan to quilt most of the day. However, I have to take some time to sew myself.

Good luck... I have a Master's Degree, I have been with UPS for 31 years, and I am ready to sew and quilt.

Good luck... Barb Wetzel

Well Tammie,

I beg to differ with the "Nay Sayers"! :P

It really doesn?t matter what other people think, don?t feel like you have to try to justify your plans, just do what your heart tells you, & you *will* be successful!

As with anything in life, if you apply your self, you will be driven with the desire to meet your goals!

I had a great paying salary with H.P., but I just couldn?t deal with the stress of that business world any longer!!

I know you are going to be great at this Tammie, just forge ahead, have faith & don?t look back! ;)

It is my dream to quit my fulltime job to quilt fulltime. Currently I am working an entry level office position, although I was an admin. assistant before my company down sized. I can make as much money completing 2 quilts per week, quilting, as I make now on my fulltime job. However, I have 2 customer quilts right now, then what. I haven't taken that leap of faith yet. I would, but I would have to visit my husband at the funny farm ;) LOL. I have had my business for about a year and a half, but since I haven't had a customer call since about the first of November, I just can't bring myself to try this fulltime.

But to those who can, I envy you!!

Blessing to you and your future.

Mary Beth

I'm still working my full-time job, after a year, but have increased my business steadily in that time. My goal is to be able to make 1/2 my salary by the end of this year, working 1/2 time at my quilting. If I can meet that goal, next year is the year I will take the leap to full-time quilting.

This is a decision each individual must make for themself! There are many factors I'd consider.

For those who actually have to have a definitely income per month, I'd be really apprehensive about quitting a full-time job. For those who work for supplemental income and it's mostly fluff and if you have a month or two with little to no income and it wouldn't set your world in a tailspin, go for it.

Things I would consider are social security (assuming anyone believes it will be there for us). If you're still needing to get your quarters in and the amount of income you're making is determining your benefits, you may want to have a set income from a real job; if you have health insurance through an employer, that's definitely a consideration.

I was not working so I didn't quit a job to start longarming. I have been more than pleased with the amount of income I've made. But, I could not live on what I make (pay utilities, health insurance, home insurance, taxes, groceries, etc. and I don't have a house or car note!)

There are many benefits, not the least of which is that I'm doing what I love to do every day! This is pretty much a total stress-free job for me and I hope I never need to do anything else!

Good luck with your decision.

I started out a year ago with a 3 year plan. First year, get my studio built and the long arm delivered. I accomplished that 3 months ahead of schedule. Second year, PPP. Third year, build up a business while continuing to work at my outside job. Once the business gets to a point where I can't handle it in my "spare" time, I'll quit the outside job. My biggest concern is health insurance. My husband is an independent consultant so our only insurance is through my work. He said if I can make enough money quilting to pay for insurance, I can quit. So that's my goal. I'm actually hoping now to get the 2nd and 3rd years accomplished this year. I've been practicing on my own quilts and have done 2 customer (friends) quilts and a third is in the works.

Good luck Grammie. We can all lose our marbles together! lol.

Hugs,

Holly

I agree totally with Linda's reply. I always tell customers/students exactly what Linda has said. After meeting you at Houston, I am positive you will be more than fine Quilting fulltime. No doubt!

I have always been self-employed as well as my husband so it was not as scary for us. I was a successful Hair Stylist in a high end salon for 15 years with a stint of staying home with the kids in between. Had to quit because of skin allergies. I don't make as much money now as I did (it's me), I find myself getting distracted often! I don't think you will have this problem. I have been offered well paying jobs recently, after much consideration can't bring myself to leave quilting. You know how it is doing what you love. Although I'm sure my husband would like more help with the income! (the cost of living here is pretty high) As usual, my happiness is what is most important to him. He's the best! Quilting can be what you make it. Having your kids raised will help. I think in the future when my kids are in college and beyond I will have more time to devote.

Good luck Grammie, I'm sure you will let us know what you decide.

Best wishes,

Cheryl

I just got my millie in July and I know that I need to have more training before I really feel comfortable in doing any extensive quilting. I just know that I will get there someday. My job has gone downhill in the recent months, and that has really gotten me thinking about going out and pursuing my own business. I want to open my own quilt shop and do my quilting out of there. Much to consider, but it has been done. My first challenge in LA'ng is getting customers. I am done with the chairity quilts for awhile, now it's time to make money.

Joanne

Quit my job?

That is my dream. But not practical for me. Besides the benefits, insurance and 401k, there's the income that puts the long pole in the tent.

I live in Southern California. I would have to quilt 2 queens a day (at $100 each) just to pay the mortgage, utilities. Seems like that might take the fun out of it for me. Quilting would then be "the job".

Besides, my job, dull as it is, enables me to buy fabric and I bought that longarm I have. It would almost be like killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

Maybe someday I can stay home and quilt.....

My goal is 5 years. I just got my machine in June and I am just now beginning to get customers. But it is definitely in the plans to quit my job and stay home to quilt.

I teach 8th grade (enough said?) and our youngest will be out of high school and off on his own in 5 years I hope (he is 13). ONce that is accomplished we won't need the income that we have now. Almost everything will be paid off so if we make a little less per year it won't matter. For now it's in the plans, but not a reality quite yet.

Teresa

www.chickenscratchquilting.com

I lost my job and after 3 years of working retail, I threw in the towel. I got my first LA (Liberty) October 2004, and Upgraded to my Millie in 2005. I make enough to meet my payments and then some. BUT, I have a husband who supports the household, and carries the benefits. I don't think that I could be making enough my first 2 or 3 years to carry us. We'd also have to downsize our home, and dedicate a room in the condo or apartment to the machine.

I also teach classes 2 nights a week and contract to make quilts for others, so I don't "quilt" full time, but I'd say I can keep busy 25-30 hours a week.

And I don't think I've ever quilted a queen size for just $100...

Guest Linda S

The main thing is the health insurance. I will continue to work my full time job until I can retire and receive my pension in a little less than four years. With my pension coming in every month, I'll be able to pay my mortgage (which will be almost paid off) and my health insurance and rely on my quilting for supplemental income. I'd love to quit my job right now, but I'm single and don't have any other income to help things along.

Linda

Originally posted by Grammie

My curiosity has me again. Just wondering if there are any of you who left Good paying Jobs to pursue Quilting Fulltime and master your skill? Everyone I know thinks I'm loosing my marbles and so are there others out there? I plan to do just that by the years end. I'm so close I can taste it. Still some things to complete first. (Like that studio). lol

Hi Linda:

I would definitely leave my full time job and start quilting if you can I

left my full time job years ago and now quilt at home and I enjoy this

very much and I do not have the expense of driving to work and the

expense of buying the proper clothes for a Office Position.

Rosa

I bought my Millie almost 2 years ago. I was working full time as a bank teller. A month ago I cut back to 3 days a week at the bank, and it was the right thing to do, even tho' I lost my insurance. I am over 50, and my husband has been on Social Security almost a year. We worked really hard on getting our bills down so we could live on less. I hope to be able to quit the bank entirely within the year. I have enough credits with SS to be able to draw a good check when I turn 62 if we need it. As for medical insurance, I will have to trust the Lord to keep me healthy until I qualify for Medicare. :) -Ann

As I doubt I will leave my day job anytime in the near future, my goals were different. I work in healthcare and the stress is amazing. Quilting keeps me sane. My new Millenium is my retirement, because my adult children can't see me ever retiring. I just remortgaged my house to restore a beautiful 1835 federal farm house in rural NY. My advise is to go for it. Too often women undervalue our time and talent. The original guilds for embroidery and fine sewing in Britain were made up of men and they were concidered skilled artisans. We need to return to that attitude. What we do takes physical skill along with a whole set of mental skills that are very hard to place a dollar value on. Please charge for your time adequately! :D

I am currently working part-time for a chiropractor who will turn 70 this July. We used to be open six days a week but he is cutting back on his work load for health reasons. I only work 4 or 5 days a week now so I get a lot more quilting time. I am hoping to be making enough from quilting business by the time he really retires or as he says "drops dead on a patient" that I won't need to look for another job. Can't afford to yet, but I've only been quilting for clients since December 2003.

For those who do need Health insurance try your local chamber of commerce! My small non profit offers health insurance for the employee to add my husband to my plan would have cost us about $700.00 We went to the chamber and it will only cost us about 230! for his own plan. Its different for everyone but its worth checking out! The chamber can alos help with your business needs

Susan

Hi,

The number one failure rate in new business' is lack of financial resources. Now I don't say this to discourage you, but you need to plan. How much money (net) do you need to survive each month? After deciding on that amount, have you ever tried to live on that amount? I would try that for several months and see how it goes. You need to make sure you can live on a certain amount of $. Explore avenues of getting customers, etc. so you have a beginning base.

It can be done, but planning will be a lifesaver and help in the success of your new business.

Char

Archived