grid pattern

Hello all,

I dreaded the moment that a customer would ask me to do a grid pattern. And now someone has. How do you do that?! How do you make it straight and exactly the same distance from each other? A quilt is not always exactly straight! And even worse, how do you make them askew? I mean if a quilt has diagonal diamonds?

Do you use a ruler? And if you can't go any further and have to stop to roll up the quilt, how do you pick up the line again? Exactly straight?

I sound a little panicky, don't I? Sorry.

Who can help me?

Anne Que

I have the Circle Lord and I love it. Cross-hatching is a snap using the Circle Lord Cross-hatching template. Here is a link to a photo of cross-hatcihng I did a couple weeks ago using the CL cross-hatching template. It is http://ramona-quilter-big-dream.blogspot.com/2008/11/flower-bouquet-shop-sample.html

Cross-hatching is so simple and so straight with the CL.

Here's the link to Circle Lord Cross-hatching template.

http://www.loriclesquilting.com/index_files/page0009.htm

I'm not sure that you can do diamonds, harlequin like lines, though. You would probably need a ruler, as well as marking the quilt in advance uisng a 60 degree marking ruler. And of course, you would need an expanded base to rest the ruler on while you use it. I know that there are some diamond-shaped stencils at the Stencil COmpany

http://www.quiltingstencils.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=5744

Anne, I shared your "dread" until I tried it with the Hartley Fence on one of my own quilts. I did have to mark each interval, as i went, because the quilting shrinks the fabric as you go. But you can set any angle, quilt all you can in that area--and then set your opposite angle and quilt all area you can. You mark your angles on the fence and it goes pretty quickly--there is some back and forth (front to back of machine) but I'm a whiner sometimes! The quilt turned out great and I was very pleased! I don't know much about the CL, but I'm sure it's equally good! Good luck. Make a small practice piece - however you decide to do it--I personnally think it would be hard with just a ruler--but then I've not practiced doing it that way. Have fun! Jane

I don't have a CL or HF, but I do diamond cross hatching with templates and the base expander. My cross hatching has been in blocks or sashings or borders, though, where it's not a problem to extend the line over a large area. If I were to grid a large area without those tools, I think I would pre-mark. For templates, check our our own Dawn Cavanaugh or Sherry Rogers-Harrison's products. Sherry's is "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend" but I don't see it on her website now.

:(

I used the Hartley Fence to do these diagonal lines. I thought it was easy to use and worked wonderfully, but I only had to do a section on each side of the quilt and not the whole thing.

What Myra's book says to do is to try and stop your stitching line in a seam line the will make stops and starts less noticeable, and to make your lines straight--even if the piecing isn't exactly straight as then the quilting lines will give the illusion of straight piecing.

post--13461900755625_thumb.jpg

There are stencils that you can use to pounce chalk markings on the quilt and mark the grid, very helpful for ruler placement! I have ordered one from continuous line stencils which will be interesting to use.

Put grippers on the bottom of your ruler. I like the ones by Gadget girls. I think the Little girl is the one I like...I have a bigger and a smaller one. Most people will put on the extended base from the Hartley fence which gives you a larger flat surface.

I have the Hartley and the Circle Lord. I have only tried the Hartley which was fairly simple. I recently purchased the crosshatching tool from Quilter's Rule booth at PIQF. I haven't tried it yet, but you can do this from the front of the machine. The black part rests against your front backing bar, then you attached the clear ruler part at the angle you wish to use, and use it like you would any hand-held ruler. I can't wait to try it out when I have an appropriate quilt to use it on.

See webpage here:

http://www.quiltersrule.com/template/mqt-chr.html

Back in 2005 I posted these rulers that my DH made for me. They are specific to APQS machines since they snap onto the leveler roller for stability. Great for crosshatching or stitching chenille. You do not need a base extender to use.

If you are interested in a set, email me below.

Several chat members use these. Any feedback on these rulers???

post--13461900756976_thumb.jpg

I've recently done cross hatching in a border by marking the lines with my rotary ruler and a piece of blackboard chalk. "The cheap stuff" per our own Dawn C. Worked great, and can be adjusted for other angles.

There was a post today about someone selling a CL and Hartley Fence, but I also love Linda's rulers.

Ah, if only we had all the money to buy everything we needed for our wonderful machines.

Archived