ruler work?

Is there a trick to doing ruler work? I have the ruler mate from lovetoquilt.com on my millennium. I have some small rulers I would like to practice with, but am having troubles keeping them in place and stitching around them. Is there a secret to this asides from PPP? I am comfortable with freehand and still learning to do pantos. Want to broaden my abilities.

Are they piecing rulers or quilting rulers?

Quilting rulers are thicker so the ruler snugs up to the hopping foot without bring able to go under the foot.

If you use thin rulers, you could easily slip and put the ruler in the way of the needle.

Besides being dangerous, you might have to re-time your machine.

Is your ruler at least 1/4 inch thick?

Ruler work requires lots of time and attention. It can be tedious and tricky and time consuming. Just take it slow and easy, especially when starting out. I find that I get a little faster with my technique after I've warmed up a little bit. Make sure you keep even pressure (with your fingers) on your ruler and keep the hopping foot centered on the ruler (don't get too close to the edge of the ruler). I set the maching on SR mode and increase the stitches per inch to like 13 or 14 or 15 so the hopping foot takes little hops. I find this easier to control where I'm going. (got that tip from our Sherry Rogers Harrison).

There are some You Tube videos on using a ruler. Also Kimmy Brunner's beginner DVD has great instructions on using rulers (among other great tips). Here is a link to her web site:

http://www.kimmyquilt.com/

All great advice above...I also use spray baste on my rulers however I use the spray baste on the top of the rulers so my fingers have a bit more "grip" on them. I also use very minimal pressure on them when stitching...that way they glide along easily when I move them with my left hand as they kinda "stick" to my fingers with the spray baste. I move the machine head with my right hand.

I have a hint regarding handling slippery surfaces, hard to grip things, or for those of you whose hands get so dry that it's hard to handle even a peice of paper, or if you have arthritis in your hands or fingers. I use glycerin. I have RA in my hands and fingers so all of the above apply to me. I use an Aqua Ball that I got from an office supply store, they are in the same section as the items that are used to wet envelopes to seal them instead of licking them. You are supposed to put water in them. Instead of water I use Glycerin, the same stuff that is used in lotions and various other products. It only takes a dab at a time, and just that dab will spread over your fingers and palms enough to give you a grip and it can last all day long. Just rub it on like lotions, but just use a tiny amount, like just on the tip of one finger. You can get it at Walmart in the pharmacy section, or at Walgreens in the section where they have the dry skin stuff. It's only about 2.50 a bottle and a bottle lasts forever. I handle paper all day and everyone in my office is using it now instead of those wax Sticky Fingers things. It helps me grib the stair rails, the streering wheel, paper, my hairbrush and curling irons...everything. I have have an Aqua Ball at home, and it helps with handling fabrics, needles all that stuff. And best of all it does not stain things! If it shows up on paper it just evaporates! I bet it would help with controling your machine and handling rulers or other things longarm related, too.

Just something I found recently that may be old news to some but was a lightbulb moment for me----I would hold the ruler pushed up against the hopping foot and the two would be in conflict with me pushing on the handle in one direction and on the ruler opposing. Hmmm.

Just figured out that the pressure on the ruler works best by pushing the ruler down and not sideways against the foot. Hold the ruler down and let the foot be the only pressure. Easier on the hands, too!

I only slide the ruler while stitching if I am in the groove (pun intended;)) doing SID.

Like I said--lightbulb thing--I have never seen a demo or taken a class on ruler work, so I never knew better.

Archived