tension problems Superior Rainbows thread

IBQLTN2

This weekend I tried using some Rainbow thread. My bottom thread was straight with the top thread coming down. I believe this means that the tension is too tight, so I loosened it enough that it the bobbin case dropped completely down to the floor if I had not caught it. The bottom stitches seemed better but then I couldn't get the top thread to stop breaking even in SR mode. It was not breaking before I loosened the bottom. I finally gave up messing with it and took the quilt off the frame to do some much needed frogging. Now my dilemna is do I try again with the same thread or should I consider using something different. I have always seemed to be able to figure it out before but this time I just couldn't seem to get it right. Oh, after taking it off I quilted the small Santa quilt with So Fine thread and had no problems with breaking thread or tension. What to do???? I would appreciate any suggestions if you have had any experience with this thread what makes it happy? Thanks in advance, I really need to finish the quilt and would like to use the thread I started with. Jeanne

Hi Jeanne,

Sorry for the issues you are going through, but I've been there too!

Sorry, just got back from a bike ride, so the brain isn't working yet. My best suggestion is to search this site for previous postings using Rainbows. Also, I slather mine up with Sewer's Aide before I try to quilt with Rainbows. You might also slightly decrease the tension on the quilt between the rollers, and try quiting a little more slowly.

I'm sure you'll find more coherent and helpful responses soon. Good luck.

Hi Jeanne, I use Rainbows and don't seem, to have that problem.. I'd suggest either call APQS, or try tightening the bobbin to the correct tension for it, then adjust the top accordingly. Am curious how many loops you go thru on the two, 3 hole guides.. I only use one on top and two on the one just above the tension spring. I also use Sewers Aid on the spool and all the loops and holes the thread goes thru.

Hope you find help..

RitaR

Hi Jeanne

Rainbows is a little trickier to use than the other Superior Threads but try putting your bobbin case tension back to normal and threading the top thread through only two holes over the tensioner.

Superior introduced a new thread late last year called LAVA - it was intended for Gammill owners who couldn't run Rainbows, its a stronger thread with the same,or similar, colour variations. I've just placed an order for some. Also, if you want to try it, Superior are offering a sample cone for $5 - I think its 300yds.

Best wishes and good luck

Sue in Australia

Originally posted by IBQLTN2

This weekend I tried using some Rainbow thread. My bottom thread was straight with the top thread coming down. I believe this means that the tension is too tight....Jeanne

Jeanne,

When the bobbin thread is laying straight on the back this means either your bobbin is too loose, and/ or your top is too loose and not pulling the bobbin thread up into the batting.

Rainbows just needs a little extra "tweaking" and you can definitely use it successfully. Personally for me, I only use Sewer's Aid if I absolutely have to as a last resort. It's not the fix-all solution for me. When I need to, usually I use Sewer's aid on cottons or the metallics, not generally on the polys.

Sue in Australia gave you good advice about running through the last two holes in the three hole thingy above the tension disc. The bobbin should not be too loose, or too tight. Set it back to where it drops like a spider, slow but steady; maybe a teeny bit looser than normal so the bobbin drops a little faster, but not out of control fast.... You just need to tweak the top tension so it's looser. Keep playing with it.

If you still have troubles, try a larger size needle. If you currently use a 3.5 try a 4.0. If you currently use a 4.0 try a 4.5. See if the larger needle helps. Also don't go too fast; keep your speed consistent and might have better luck.

Jeanne, I had the same problem yesterday. I spent 4 hours on one E2E pass and said to H--- with this. The lady wanted superior top and bottom. I tried something different in the bobbin and no change constant thread break switched top thread to a similar color scheme and finished the rest of the quilt in in 2 -3 hours.

I tried slowing down, no good.

Slathered sewers aid, no good.

played with tensions top and bottom, no good,

swapped and switched needles, no good.

Gave up. I hope you get yours working but in my opinion, try some other thread. LOL. Sorry.

Michele

Jeanne, Rainbows is my complete FAVORITE thread and was almost a deal breaker on my buying my Freedom. Seriously. I brought it on my test drive and it wouldn't run w/out breaking.

I called my gal pal Danetta Burnette (quilt-crazy) and she told me that she'd been running 100 wt invisafil all day and she ran Rainbows all the time. I just needed to loosen it up some more on top. Even to the point that the nut is 1/8 of an inch out from the tension bolt. Seriously! I know if I start getting loops on top I'm TOO loose and have to change some thing else. But up to that point you just keep loosening the bobbin tension to match.

This is the whole reason I bought a Towa gage. I wanted to know what number looser than falls freely to the floor was. I'm still amazed that these machines make such nice stitches running THAT loose but they do.

By the way, my towa sets at between 10-15 (100-150 on the new ones) and Danetta runs hers around 20, so all machines are different, you gotta find your machine's happy number, but don't be afraid to go looser on BOTH if you don't have a towa yet. Rainbows NEVER breaks for me (knock on wood) :P

Good luck!

thanks for everyones help. I guess it is just getting to know your machine and taking the time to get the tensions correct. Don't have a towa gauge yet I suppose that is something else I won't be able to live without if I am going to keep trying new threads. I will try again and see if I can get it adjusted before I give up. Jeanne

Wow,. I didn't mean sewers aid took care of all my problems.. far from it.. but with Rainbows, I run a normal bobbin with BL prewound, and looser tension on top, and usually if just a bit off, Sewers Aid seems to finish the adjusting for me.

Wish I could get other types to work as well.

RitaR

Jeanne,

Hang in there with the thread and tension issues. I love Rainbows and learned to adjust my machine for it. I love King Tut but I always have problems with it, but I keep plugging away until I get my tension where I want to use it.

What helps me is to run a tester sandwich with the same fabric and batting if possible before quilting on the quilt (A tip from Mryna's class) . That helps a lot. My machine is happy with Rainbows when I run it through the first and third holes of the "three hole thingy" (thanks Shana = that's cute!). And I too have a Towa Guage and I love it.

I haven't tried Lava yet, but think I will in the future. To me one of the great features of the APQS is the ease of adjusting the tension. It took me a couple of months to get used to my machine.

Sue Patton uses ALL KINDS of threads in her machine and she does the most beautiful thread paintings. SO when I get PO'd with tension I think of her work!!:cool:

My frustration right now is my wheels I made the stupid mistake of adjusting them.... SO -- if someone would like to come to Atlanta for a weekend of fun and shop hopping and to adjust my wheels, I will pay for it! Otherwise, any quick tips (SHANA OR DAWN WHERE ARE YOU!!!) would be appreciated. SR stitches are irregular length on curves stitchting..... URGGGGGGGGGGh.

:D

I used Rainbows on a spool (used my new spool holder) for the first time on my Liberty. I had the same problem with my tension, but finally got the stitches looking pretty good. I had S0-Fine in my bobbin and the Rainbows on top. My top tension was much looser than when I run So-Fine on top, as Rainbows is a thicker thread. It took a while, but it worked finally.

Good luck with your adjustments.

Originally posted by belquilt

Sue Patton uses ALL KINDS of threads in her machine and she does the most beautiful thread paintings. SO when I get PO'd with tension I think of her work!!:cool:

My frustration right now is my wheels I made the stupid mistake of adjusting them.... SO -- if someone would like to come to Atlanta for a weekend of fun and shop hopping and to adjust my wheels, I will pay for it! Otherwise, any quick tips (SHANA OR DAWN WHERE ARE YOU!!!) would be appreciated. SR stitches are irregular length on curves stitchting..... URGGGGGGGGGGh.

:D

Hey Beth. I just may take you up on that!! Sue will be here in NWFL in Jan. Why don't you come down with your machine and we'll get your wheels right. You can also take some classes while here.

As far as the wheel adjustment, it really is pretty easy. You want the wheel to sit on the rails in the upper part of the curve of the wheel so that you see an air gap between the lip of the wheel and the rail. You don't want to have them so loose that the lip sits on the rail, too loose can also affect the encoder wheel and SR. Here is a picture that shows what I mean. You also need to make sure that your encoder wheel is snug in the wheels so it doesn't slip. There are instructions for that if you need it. Call or email me if you need help.

post--13461900811413_thumb.jpg

Patty,

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! I knew I had seen that pictures before. I will prin this off and go to my Liberty and use this as a guide!!!! I have turned the top cams so much that the tip of the screw is holding wheel is way down in the cam. I think I have screwed them up!!! If I have any problems I will take you up on your offer and call or email.

I might just come to Florida. Sounds like fun!!!!!:D

Thanks again.

Beth

Jeanne,

I had to add my 2 cents before this thread runs out, just to clarify a couple of things.

If the bobbin thread is a straight line, then:

[*] Bobbin tension is too tight, and/or

[*] Top tension is too loose.

In the case of Rainbow Thread, it must have very loose TOP tension to function at high speed. That means loosening up the BOBBIN thread tension, so that you can tighten the top tension and pull that bobbin thread into the quilt layers without the Rainbows breaking.

Even then you'll have an occasional break. Try to move at a consistent pace that isn't "speed demon" mode.

Let me know if you have any more troubles!

Archived