basic CL

eula

I'm thinking about ordering CL Basic. I see the Large Circle & Baptist Fan Blade is included. Does that mean that I will be able to do Baptist Fans by only purchasing the CL Basic or will I also have to buy a template to do the Baptist Fan? I'm confused because I also see Baptist Fan listed under the Templates. I also looked at a sample quilt on their website & it does not show the Baptist Fan as one of the patterns included with CL Basic.

Hi Eula,

You cannot go wrong with the Circle Lord.

With the basic set you will get a "blade" type thing that does a Baptist Fan. I have it, but have never used it. It does come with several circle maker templates that can make a ton of different size circles. There are templates to make other designs that are sold seperatly.

You should give Michael a call and ask him questions. He is very user friendly :D He will not try to pressure you into buying and he will help you decide what you need for now.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide. You will love it!!!

Hey, wait a minute, Julie. Who do you think sold the Circle Lord to Mary Beth? Yes, it was me. I stood right outside that CL booth at MQS 2007 and wouldn't let her get away until she signed up :D

I have never used my single blade either. But I have used my giant Baptist Fans many times. It is the perfect pattern for traditional quilts. And now the new ones come with clams, I believe. Yippee. a 2-fer.

I am using my basic circle right now on a king-size. I'm doing concentric circles that overlap like bunting. The CL 12-inch circle (or half-circle or 3.4 circles which I am using) make perfect circles. No wobbles, ruler slips or hassles with the expanded base.

You will love the CL, Eula.

I've never used it either...love my giant BF template, though. I imagine with the blade that comes with the basic CL you would be doing a BF that involves a lot of stops and starts...where the giant BF is done using one continuous line. I'm sure that if you wanted the effect of the BF using the blade it would be beautiful just more time-consuming.

I took Linda's class and also purchased her book - quilting in circles. it really inspired me - and I then did a concentric circle pattern on one of my quilts. It's alot of starting and stopping though and I decided I would not offer it to customers. Love the CL but don't use it as often as I probably should.

"It's alot of starting and stopping though and I decided I would not offer it to customers. Love the CL but don't use it as often as I probably should. "

That's the part I'm wondering about. It's pricey if it's not something that you would use often. Guess I'll keep thinking about it for a while. Thanks for all the input.:)

Hi,

For years, many did Baptist fans using a series of round templates, hand held on the front. With the Circle Lord you can do them more accurately from the back of the machine. With any of these methods, you will have trailing threads to cut - it's the nature of the pattern.

It's the same as with concentric circles. This is why you use the spirals template.

If you don't want trailing threads, you use the continuous templates that are mounted on the Circle Lord, like Featherz, or the Giant templates that do edge to edge work.

Take a look at the king quilt done by Linda Mae Diny . It had a lot of trailing threads, but there is no other way to do this pattern.

Go near the end of the blog to see the note and picture.

Just like any tool, some use the CL more than others.

Cheers,

Michael

P.S: if no one is using the large blade to do either the Baptist fans or, the large circles, up to 20 inches, I'll just leave it out. :D

Originally posted by eula

"It's alot of starting and stopping though and I decided I would not offer it to customers. Love the CL but don't use it as often as I probably should. "

That's the part I'm wondering about. It's pricey if it's not something that you would use often. Guess I'll keep thinking about it for a while. Thanks for all the input.:)

Eula,

No, that is not correct...I do use my Circle Lord all the time, I would say on 85% - 90% of my quilts have a CL eliment. I didn't think it would be worth the money at one time. I had purchased a different circle maker with my machine and never used it. I was so dissappointed in that tool that it almost burned me from buying any mothers. Then I snapped and bought the CL - Wow!! What a difference. It is easy to use and I use it often. I also did a quilt with concentric circles - full sized and had lots of starts and stops, but it went fast and clipping the threads was really no big deal. The quilt looked awesome!

You will not be sorry you purchased the Circle Lord - trust me!!

Eula....I'm with Mary Beth, there aren't numberous starts and stops with a CL...just on each row as you go down your quilt....or unless your like me my thread sometimes breaks in the middle and you have to start over from that point.

CL is one of the best products you can buy....me I don't have one yet, but its in my future....I personlly right now use something simliar, but when I get the money together you can be sure that I too will have the CL in my house and it will be used often. I love the designs that they have, I really like the boards and its not brain surgery to use it.

Eula......The circle lord is a wonderful product. It helps you so things that would probably take a lot more time to do without it. Right now I'm doing stars and I love the template.

I haven't used the baptist blade yet but I plan to soon. I love Baptist Fans and I just need a little time to play with it (So don't take it out Michael).

Eula...The worst LA decision I've ever made, was waiting 6 mo before finially deciding to go for it. The CL has made quilting so much easier, not to mention so much more FUN:) Very habit forming, with my next order I will have collected nearly the entire set. I use a CL element on about every quilt I do to some extent.

For me this has been a very good investment beings I have no desire to go computerized.

Terry

Here's my two cents (even though the others have already done a great job) I owned the CL and some large templates, LOVED THEM, anyways recently I had to sell my CL due to having to pay off a neccessary debt that was created when my old sewing machine needed to be replaced. But I fully intend to re-purchase another one in the future. Because right after I packed it up & mailed it off to it's new owner, I was already missing it....that is how great this tool is, pricey yes...excellent quality yes....one of those must have items in my honest opinon :) The only thing that I can ever imagine that would ever be able to take it's place would to have your longarm computerized.

No can't afford to be computerized, not yet anyways. I will end up computerized just in time to stop quilting for others :P

But I do miss my CL, but I had to replace my Bernina last year and I will be able to re-purchase the CL again..but instead of doing the payment plan as before I think I will buy it piece meal and pay as I buy.

I also need to see how much DD's college will be above and beyond her scholarship for the fall of 2009. She plans on going down state to U of A so she will be in the dorms and have living expenses which fall above the scholarship she gets. She is planning on applying for student loans, but how much she will qualify is unknown right now do to the lending mess in this country. So if all works out hopefully by this time next year I will have a CL again :)

You all have done a very good sales job. I'm convinced that I need one. I've had my Millie for less than 6 mos. When you all talk about the templates. are you talking about the ones that you don't even need the CL Basic? If I understand correctly, there are templates that sort of look like they work like pantos, but they are about $500 & you don't need the CL Basic. Since I've never even seen one, that sure seems like a lot of money. But it sounds like you all are glad you have made the investment.

Archived