Edgerider wheels?

Hi there,

Last April after much trying to figure out why my machine wouldn't flow smoothly, I talked with Jim(?) at a show and he gave me a wheel and told me to try that. I did and it worked like a dream! Unfortunately, now, about 8 months later, it is back to moving more difficultly. I am wondering about putting on the Edgerider wheels and were wondering what your thoughts were on this. I have heard good things about them and don't want to keep replacing wheels on my machine if I can help it. Thanks for your advice.

Sincerely,

Luv2kwilt

Green Millie

I've tried EdgeRiders twice. The first time I hated them. They were on my machine for 2 weeks and came off. I tried them again about 6 months ago and absolutely love them. I have really smooth movement and at the same time precise control. I think the first time I just had them installed incorrectly.

Love, love, love them now!!

Debbi

Hi Sue. I have a 2005 Millie. The wheels were so smooth that I couldn't control the machine. No amount of adjusting made a difference. I'm guessing that I didn't have them installed correctly. A friend helped me install them. We had a lot of difficulty with one wheel on the front of the table and I think the adjusting cam for it wasn't put back in correctly.

When I reinstalled, I didn't have problems installing any of the wheels or the adjusting cams. I was also very careful to use the same number and same type of washers on each set of wheels.

They are absolutely wonderful now. Love, love love them!!

Debbi

I did some upgrades on my APQS 1999 Ultimate II back in 2007, one of them was to install the Edgerider Wheels.

I didn't realize how much the dark brown composite wheels were controlling my carriage movement (in a negative way)-- until I put on the Edgriders---such a huge improvement! ;) The carriage and machine seem to "glide" along now.

We had no problems installing them on the Ultimate II, but the way it's configured is quite a bit different than the newer APQS machine. But, so worth putting on your machine!

I just installed edgerider wheels on my millennium. I love them. My curves are smooth now. No more spots catching like before with the black wheels. My husband and I put them on in less than 2 hours start to finish. he made all the adjustments necessary and my machine has never quilted so nice. I highly recommend them!

Love my ERs too. My husband's comment about the original wheels after we installed the edgeriders was, "Why would they put those cheap@$$ pulleys on a $17K machine?"

Besides the smoothness, another thing I love about edgeriders is the color. You know when they're clean enough because you can see the oxidation and dirt.

• 5 months later...

I have an older 1998 Ultimate I and I just put on the Edgerider wheels. Now my machine moves very stiff, especially left to right and right to left. Can you have the wheels tightened too much? I do not have the adjusting cams, this machine is the older style. Please help!

Patty, check to see if your machine is level. You may need to adjust the number of washers. I was having trouble and had to replace the SR on the horizontal. Didn't glide well after that. Took everything apart and put it back together and all is well now. I didn't change a thing (I think). I have no idea what made the difference.

Hi Patty,

I don't know if the Ultimate I has the same axles as the Ultimate II machine that I have--that said, over near the body/base of the machine where the axle enters the metal side of the machine there is a round hub with an Allen wrench hole in it.

You loosen this hub, you need the correct Allen wrench size to do this, and your axles should slide back and forth just enough to adjust the path of the Edgrider wheels along the tracks in the carriage.

There are no washers installed near the actual Edgrider wheels on my machine. All adjustments were done with the axles. Also, check to see if your tracks on the top of the carriage are aligned correctly. There are bolts on the top of those aluminum pieces and those grooved tracks have to be perfectly straight.

If the whole carriage is square and aligned correctly then the Edgeriders wheels that go along the track should move correctly as well when you install those.

Hope this info. can be applied to your Ultimate I .

Archived