First Aid kit in studio

I am writing this for anybody who thought that they didn't need a first aid kit nearby. I have stuck myself with straight pins on my hand, fingers, palm, you name it on almost every quilt I have loaded on my frame. I have never had this problem before, now it seems unavoidable. Almost like biting the inside of your cheek over and over again once you did it the first time!! Ugh!!

My husband is now going to mount a first aid kit with bandaids to my studio wall so it is closeby. Isn't that sweet of him. I have been using batting scraps to keep from bleeding on my quilts.

So for any newbie, or professional quilter out there reading this...get a first aid kit, just in case.

MaryBeth...are you listening? You probably already knew this. Why didn't you warn me??

Okay.....now to add to your first aid kit is a trip to the doc's....and get your updated Tetanus shot if you haven't already done that.... With sticking your finger...and each pin, needle or anything else that pokes and tears holes there are yucky germs that still carry LockJaw.....

One shot and your good for 10 years.....

I've always kept a box of bandaids nearby my machine. I seem to stick myself a lot with those corsage pins. They are ruthless and mean and they like to bite me hard! :( I have big blood drip stains on my leaders. They are a reminder to me that I need to use caution but you know I am a klutz so even the caution warnings don't seem to work for me!

Join the club girl - I once thought and now I know - you can't be a quilter until the blood has flowed - I guess that makes me a quilter! I keep band aides everywhere - purse, golf bag, sewing room, bathroom - does that tell you something??? At least I have never done myself in bad enough to have to go to the doc - Oh, that's not true - slammed my finger in the door once - broke the end of the bone in my finger tip - lost the nail - & had to wear a bandage and splint for 6 weeks .......... not much blood though ............. years later, the feeling at the end of that finger still isn't right, but the nail did grow back - lucky me.

Once I participated in making a large raffle quilt and was asked to "bleed" a small dot on one of my blocks - well, I thought it was weird but I tried. I tried to poke my finger tip, my thumb - couldn't do it!?!? But . . . no need to worry, not 10 minutes later while sewing on the block POW, I was pricked just like Cinderella and then I was trying to stop blood flow and to "wash" blood off the block?! I think I prick myself on every quilt?!

Originally posted by sagebrushquilter

MaryBeth...are you listening? You probably already knew this. Why didn't you warn me??

How did I know my name would come up with this topic :o:D

1. I have bought stock in the bandaid company :D

2. Not really on #1 - that was a joke...but I do keep bandaids next to my machine.

3. I also keep liquid bandaid next to my machine.

Things I have learned so that I don't use the above mentioned items....

1. Use zippers to load your quilt. Get rid of the pins....that is why you get zippers!!! Use stapes on the back and float the top, or use a chain stitch on top and back ....but don't use pins.

2. Never, ever...get mad enough at the tension or stitches or needle up down that you slap your machine! Slapping her doesn't help...and take if from me, if you have little scissors on the top post it will stab you in the palm of the hand and it takes for ever to heal.

3. Don't get your finger near the needle bar or anything else that is moving at a rapid speed...your finger will lose!

These rules do not apply in all studios....just mine...you will need to make your own rules about not bleeding on the customer's quilt ;)

This first just happened to me yesterday.

I had a customer that I was selling fabric to and we were chatting away. Cut the yardage and folded the cut end back on the bolt and was pinning it when wham the little plastic ball at the end decided it would go on strike and went off to the side so the dull FAT end of the pin went right into the middle part of my finger. I can't remember if I swore or not (will ask and apologize to customer later). That baby bleed like crazy and the next fabric to be cut was white. Didn't get blood on it but it hurts to type.

Going to call Health Department and see how much a tetanus shot is, ouch.

Originally posted by hmerrill

Oh Bonnie but those shots hurt! My arm always feels like somebody socked me hard!

I agree, but the $20.00 shot is worth the weeks and or months with LockJaw.......

I've very serious about that...if you do not know when you had your last one its probally time to get it....and if your close to renewal...do it. Staph infections and Lockjaw are something we can't take time for...life is to short, for something we can prevent.

My mom just got a tetanus shot this week. She had stepped out her back door last Saturday when we had that little bit of snow and suddenly she was looking at nothing but sky. She completely knocked the handle off the storm door and scraped her arm pretty good. She works at a nursing home in the laundry dept. and couldn't remember the last time she had one. She also took off work several days due to soreness in both arms.

My Dad had lockjaw when he was a kid and he was very adamant about us being up to date on our tetanus shots. He was 8 yrs old and he can remember his heels being drawn to the back of his head and that his jaws would not move. He had lost his front teeth just before and they were able to put a straw in his mouth to get nourishment. He lived in KY at the time and they flew in doctors from NY to help. They would take him everyday for a week and draw spinal fluid out and put tetanus serum in. Apparently he is in the medical books and all this started with a sliver in his foot.

Bonnie is right on! Get those Tetanus shots!!! Mine was out of date and I went to Alaska last year and was minding my own business and stepped on a lapel tack someone had dropped. Since I was on a crusie ship I had no idea where it might have come from but it drew blood. The ship's Doc gave me the shot. I thought it was going to be awful but I hardly felt it. Don't be afraid of the shot just do it. Better safe than sorry!

Archived