Regarding the Extended Warranty

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I say, if it hasn't broken yet (after 3 years of use) it probably won't until it wears out. So my thought is that the extended warranty is like life insurance--you are betting that you will die, they are betting that you won't!

By purchasing an extended warranty, you are betting that something will go wrong, they are betting that it won't. I'm betting with APQS that nothing will go wrong ( they are smart and know these machines) and I'm not sending them any money to prove them right. Did that make sense at all??:P:P:P

I, too, am torn. I have experienced some continuing issues with my stitch regulator. My Mille is currently back in Iowa being worked on and, of course, it is refusing to act up, GRRRR!! Just like when I tell my husband that there is a strange noise in the car. He can't make it make the sound until something ultimately falls off.

This is the second trip back to Carroll for the same issue. The circuit board has been replaced once.

The original warranty is up in August.

I have never bought extended warranties in the past and I agree with Linda R. that they usually aren't worth it, but now???

I hate to put out another $350. I am just not sure what I'm going to end up doing.

I have purchased the extended warranty. I was not anxious to part with the $350 either, but it is a stress reliever knowing my machine will be covered an additional 5 years. One thing I do know is that SOME machines will need repairs and if it is mine--I'm covered. One trip to the shop for replacement parts and labor could easily make the investment worthwhile. Just my opinion. It is a tough decision.

Sherry Jack

Millie CQ

No disrespect to APQS, and this may be a totally different situation. I worked in the dealer services department of a bank for way too many years. We would get phone calls from people who had purchased vehicles that were having problems - sometimes we refered to them as lemons. The caller would ask us, "Do we have any recourse, we bought the extended warranty?" I remember the loan officers telling us the extended warranty is not worth the paper it is written on and they they felt bad for the customers for not knowing that. Now, that was for cars, not quilting machines. If I were eligible for this warranty, I might consider it, but knowing what I do from my bank job, I would know all I could about it before I sign the dotted line.

I usually don't buy extended warranties on anything, but I did in this case. I think the price is very reasonable considering the cost of the machine. If you look at the price of a new car, and what they want for an extended warranty on that, it makes this deal look very sweet - and in some cases you could buy a new car for what we pay for a machine.

To me, it is worth the peace of mind and I have never had anything but the very best of service from APQS - I doubt very much they would try and nickel and dime you on warranty issues.

I purchased the extended warranty last week, after debating about it. I DO NOT usually do so with any product. My husband however purchased extended warrant on two cars that he drove nearly to extinctions and DID come out ahead. I also purchased an extended warranty, which was of course, much less expensive on an Ipod, and it was worth every penny.

I agree that there isn't a lot that can go wrong with the machines... and I have not had any problems exept for a circut board with the CompuQuilter retro-fit which I purchased thru APQS. The first time they even ovenighted the board, as it was a holiday.

All extended waranties are a bet,as you indicate that the consumer thinks something will g wrong:: and the manufactuter thinks it won't, actuarially.

I think APQS is a great company, and I have faith that they will stand behind the products. I just wish the extended warranty wasn't so expensive!:(

I am normally very anti extended warranties. I had one one minivan that I am driving only because my husband got an employee discount and the extended warranty was free. I have been driving the van for over 9 years and I did have to use the warranty, but if I had had to pay retail for it it would not have been worth the cost. But I have never bought one on a computer, TV or appliance and won't.

I did purchase the one from APQS. My reasoning is that I got my machine the last week of Nov. So it is only a couple months old. If I had waited 2 months to purchase, it would have come with the longer warranty. I decide that since this is for my business that it is worth the cost, just in case. I don't think that I will really need it, but it was a low cost for the reassurance. I balanced the cost of replacing the machine against the cost of the warranty and the warranty won out in my mind. Plus unlike a TV or laptop, my longarm can be worked on and upgraded. I have found that trying to fix a TV or laptop usually cost more that just buying a new one.

Hi everyone,

As the extended warranty deadline approaches, I know some of you are wondering whether or not to invest in it. It's certainly a difficult decision, and one that only you can make.

To be honest, the extended warranty option came about because so many owners were asking if we had one. APQS is a terrific company (I wouldn't work for them if they weren't :)) who stands behind what they sell. Many people are like my husband (he's a bank examiner who specializes in risk management, and yes...he's busy right now:)) and want "insurance" against risk. So we have bought extended warranties on:

[*] Dodge van...used it--transmission went out

[*] Tablet PC for college student--used it TWICE (okay, college kid could be to blame)

[*] Mercury Sable...used it twice--air conditioning unit quit

[*] Dishwasher..used it--burnt out the heating element

[*] refrigerator...not used; bought it because the fridge has a computer chip

Things I've "passed" on:

[*] small electronics where I can replace the item almost as cheaply as the extended warranty's cost

[*] cell phone (though my daughter has trashed hers and she's learning a "life lesson" about taking care of things:))

You're the only one (unless you have a husband like mine) who can decide if the extended warranty is right for you. The $350 cost works out to $43.75 a year over the 8-year extension. Some people just feel better with the extra protection and as several have already said, "peace of mind."

You know that customer service is the top priority for APQS, so meeting customers' requests for an optional extended warranty is just another way we can make sure we are meeting the needs of every APQS owner.

If you have any questions at all, don't be afraid to call us!

My husband and I decided not to buy the warranty. As a Lenni owner, we felt the pricing should have been lower for the Lenni than the Millennium. The bigger reason though was that it did not say it was transferrable. What if I decided I liked longarming enough to want to upgrade. Wouldn't it be nice if I could sell my Lenni and give the new owner the warranty with it - similar to the heat pump we had installed - the warranty can transfer to the new owner - a great selling point for me.

If the extended warranty were available to me I think I would purchase it. Alas, I just missed the purchase date cutoff. Normally I don't buy extended warranties but as Dawn pointed out, it's less than $50 per year. It would pay for itself with one circuit board replacement.

Two years ago the stitch regulator went haywire on my Millie. Thank goodness it was under warranty because it would have been $145 out of pocket. My only wish is that the warranty would transfer. I will purchase one, later this week, once the billing cycle has closed on my credit card.

No problem, MB!

I re-read my post, and I must amend it. I did the math and included the "per year" cost of the warranty as if it were an additional 8-years; in reality, the per-year cost of the warranty would be an additional 5 years ($70 a year for the extra five years ), bringing the total warranty period to 8 years.

Guess that's why God had me marry a bank examiner--so he could crunch the numbers and I could just spend it :D!

OK...I'm confused. I was going to opt for the extended warranty until I read the following on the APQS support site: < American Professional Quilting Systems, Carroll, IA, U.S.A. ("APQS"), expressly warrants its new products manufactured by APQS to be free from defects in material and workmanship under normal use and service for eight years (96 months).>

I'm at work so I can't check my paperwork but I thought my Milli was only warranteed for 3 yrs.? Does the above statement include the extra 5 yrs?

I think if you plan on keeping your machine for many many years and you want this extra security then sure, why not buy it. But I don't think this extended warranty is transferrable to a new buyer of your machine if you choose to sell your machine later. I think it is nice that APQS offered this as an option.

I'm still on the fence. After three years, what issue will arise that APQS cannot claim is due to normal wear and tear? It seems like if it hasn't broken by then, the claim would be denied under normal wear and tear or some negligence by the owner. I also don't understand why the deadline. My warranty is not up until next Fall.

Pat Schafer

Archived