Udder Cowboy quilt

This is not flannel. It is Moda's Udder Cowboy line in cotton. I hope she likes it. She refuses to pay for any quilting work...or my thread...so this will be the last (and only) quilt for this gal. She told me this this morning on the phone that it should have only taken me 10 minutes to quilt! She has no idea. I still have an hour involved in this little thing with loading and setting tensions and all. Not that I asked for payment...but I did ask her to cover my costs. Oh well...she is moving soon. I can get back to my own quilts. Getting off the soapbox now.

Here is the sad thing about her. She is moving near one of our very own on this forum and has asked me to find her "help". I don't dare give her the name of the quilter as I fear she will do to them as she has me. And yet, I don't dare warn the quilter who is going to be near her...I wasn't raised that way to speak bad about somebody as a warning of them. I know she will meet the quilter on this chat...and I will leave it to them to either strike a friendship...or not!

If you sate (sp)? the facts of what your experience you are not speaking ill of someone. If you were to give out the quilters name to non-paying client and give the quilter the facts you have only given a heads up to the quilter. It is up to the quilter to set the bounderies. It is easy for me to say that sitting at my computer and not facing said friend. IF it were me, I'd appreciate the "heads up" of the facts. It leaves me to draw my own conclusions.

FWIW. (for what it's worth).

Sorry about your experience. People think you just slap these things on in 2 minutes and wham bam they are done. My first customer, Last week, had to be educated on the whole process, but this was a whole learning curve for her as she was taught by one of her friends how to thread the machine etc. She picked up her quilts yesterday and had questions on the one she was working on. I loaned her a ruler and explained how to do it. I guess that is how people learn. But friends that expect something for nothing are the ones in the future you say, gee I'm sorry but I'm so busy I cannot get to it!!! As far as warning the next quilter, I would just say if you are upfront when you accept the quilt stating it is this much a square in and setup and thread is this on top and they sign the intake form, if she won't pay for it keep it and donate it to charity. Since the next quilter won't be her friend it will be much easier for the next gal to explain how it works. I would tell your friend that you are not sure who quilts in that area, but she could ask at the local quilt stores.

Good luck and sorry you have a friend like that. They really aren't your friend they are a user!!!

Shirley

I thought the name Udder Cowboy Quilt is so cute! Love that witty humour.

Sorry to hear your friend is not paying you. I guess after the first one, I would have tried trading some services like binding, or piecing or even getting her to take you out to lunch....but sometimes it shocks you so much, you don't know what to say!

Great stitching by the way!

I am not going to do any other quilts for this lady that is for certain. She contacted me after I gave her the quilt this morning and she loved it. Thank goodness for that. At least my name is not MUD!

She asked if I would custom quilt a queen size top for $90. The quilt has a pieced border and 3 outer borders around the body of this quilt. I politely told her I would not. I am not in the business of longarming for others (her or anybody else!)

Udder Cowboy is the name of the fabric line by Moda. It is a darling line for little kids. I am glad everybody likes this simple style of quilting. I needed a no brainer!!

I have never had a customer refuse to pay me. I have, however, had one customer ask for her quilt top back because her daughter found somebody do the quilting for half of what I was going to charge. And I had one woman tell me that she couldn't believe that I would charge so much and not furnish the batting. Gotta love people like that. At the time I was charging a penny a square inch. Needless to say, I've never heard from either woman again. It amuses me.

I always tell my customers upfront what the cost will be. Most want edge to edge. I am considering just doing pantographs or edge to edge from the front. But then what do you do when you have a two color quilt like I have now....burgandy and cream. Burgandy thread on the cream is stark and cream thread on the burgandy doesn't go either. I need to retire from quilting for others!:P

Originally posted by sagebrushquilter

She refuses to pay for any quilting work.

Then she wouldn't have GOTTEN any quilting work!

..or my thread...so this will be the last (and only) quilt for this gal. She told me this this morning on the phone that it should have only taken me 10 minutes to quilt!

At which point you snork a little bit or chuckle and say, "Good one. It'll take me ten minutes just to to change the thread, let alone pinning your quilt on the longarm. Even the plumber has a minimum charge. Here's my price list."

Guess I'm just grouchy today!.. But it chaps me when people expect quilting for nothing....but I'm not that nice anymore and would probably say something like, "Ya know, YOU might want quilting for free, but I still have to pay the power bill for it!" :mad:

Once ya say NO, it becomes easier...especially when you look back at the projects from Hades that have come knocking at your door, and you realize that it's ok to say no to the next one! :P

Hi Kristina,

I sure can relate to your situation, as I just went through something very similar with a "friend" of mine. I don't quilt for others, either, but this one friend has asked me to do her a few favors... Anyway, I said I would never quilt for her again, as she paid me $50 for a quilt that should have been about $100, and tried to totally stiff me for another quilt that she (as the piecer for her customer) got paid $400 for. I finally got $75 from her for that one. These were both rush jobs - in and out the same day.

She said she has a queen for her son and another commissioned tee-shirt quilt for the same lady (for 2 sons in a band). I told her I couldn't do either one. That was several weeks ago. Last night about 10:30 she called me and said she hadn't "slapped" the borders on the queen yet, as she just felt lazy this past week, and hasn't started the tee-shirt quilt yet. Then she asked what dates I would be away at MQX, so she knew how fast to finish the queen; she needs it for her son't birthday (she actually started this quilt for his wedding about 10 or 15 years ago and he is now divorced from his 2nd wife). I told her my flight was 4/13, she said she could have the quilt done by this weekend and could I pick it up for her and get it back by the following weekend. Humm...what part of "NO" don't you understand? I told her I was totally too busy making some baby quilts for my daughter for several baby showers she will be attending. There is no way I could consider doing her quilt. She was really annoyed because she hadn't budgeted for a "real" longarmer and she knew there would be a long wait list with someone really good. BS!!! I am so glad I was able to stand up for myself and still say no to her.

So, Kristina, I'm proud of you for saying no to this pseudo-friend.

PS: I like the boy quilt you quilted. I'll have to look at that fabric line for one of my upcoming quilts. I seem to lean towards cutsie girly quilts, and have more trouble thinking of boy quilts. That is perfect, plus quick and simple, but very effective.

I told this same gal 'No' again this morning. She is still thinking that I should quilt a queen size for her for $90. She found somebody online who will do an all over pantograph for $50 plus shipping both ways (total about $90). I told her to go for it! I can't load the quilt for that! Or WON'T should I say. She said I could do whatever I wanted on the quilt...but she likes a Tinkerbell freehand design that I do...so would I do that? Absolutley not! I hope she heard my 'NO' loud and clear this time! Also, I am no longer showing anything at the guild meetings...till after she moves.

Archived