QOV~What to do?

Hi guys and dolls!

Here are 2 quilts I made for Quilts of Valor. I still have to finishe t borders on the Irish chain one.

What are your ideas for quilting? Keep in mind, I'm not too great yet! I may never be great.

Mary Beth? Do they scream Baptist Fan from Circle Lord? I may be making that investment! Thanks:P :P

post--13461901433457_thumb.jpg

I know people say no custom and I certainly wouldn't do extensive quilting in them but most of the time I end up doing cusom work on mine. I like to add stars, wavy banners and things like that. Both of these quilts would be perfect for some cc's or line dancing and I'd probably do stars & stripes in the borders. My last one I did do a Baptist fan on and it suited the quilt but I usually try to make them extra special.

Hi Ferret,

I think they say "no custom" because the quilts might go to someone who doesn't have a clue about quilting, or just does not like the quilt; and it may end up being the dog's bed!

Personally, I think they will be loved and cherished!!

And, BTW, I grew up in West Middlesex. Pennsylvania!! hahahaha

Nice to meet you from across the pond!

Originally posted by LinneaMarie

Mary Beth? Do they scream Baptist Fan from Circle Lord? I may be making that investment! Thanks:P :P

Of course they do!!! ;):D You can't go wrong with CL...you can do one of these quilts in record time with CL. Yep, it is an investment, but you wouldn't be sorry.

Great quilts by the way...I can see Swirls too...you would love that one!

I agree with Heidi on this topic. I like to see some custom quilting to make these extra special. Our soldiers deserve that even though they may not realize what they are getting. I would definitely do wavy ribbon in the border and add stars on the first one. For the irish chain, why not practice feathers in the chain and do a loopy meander in the cream colored areas. Just my $0.02.

If the only reason not to do custom is the recipient might not appreciate it, I'd say why not do whatever you feel is best for the quilt. Maybe the recipient will know exactly what they have been given and it will mean the world to them? it's got to happen sometimes there are more quilters in the US that I thought possible. Something like one in 4 households has a link to a quilter I think was the statistic.

Ferret

I know a lady that has done 40 -50 of these quilts herself and has told me the reason they don't want a lot of custom is it make some quilts very stiff. The QOV quilts are meant to be used on a hospital bed for some, over the legs in a wheel chair, you get the idea. My friends quilts - none were done with pantos some were E2E star and loops, and some even hand quilted. She uses her DSM, very few did she send out to a LA'er.

Here is another hint on the batting. Hubby was in the Marine Corp for 22 years and they don't want heavy stuff so use a light poly batting. Some of the cotton battings can really weigh a lot! I will use a poly or Hobbs 80/20. When I first started quilting I did a Grandmothers flower garden block. I turned it into a pillow and hubby declared it his. He took his pillow on every deployment and still uses it to this day! He won't let me replace it! I guarantee you there are plenty of Marines, Sailors, soldiers and airmen that will always cherish the fact that somebody made something especially for them!

For cuddle quilts I have fallen in love with a very good quality cotton flannel. I did custom quilting in several of these this winter that were not real, real heavily quilted, but were more dense than some pantos are. The flannel was so snuggly that I now really love using it. As a side note, I bought a bolt of yellow flannel for baby quilts from JoAnn's (with my coupon) and it started pilling with the first wash. From now on, it is only a very good quality flannel for my quilts, or regular, good quality cotton fabric.

Ah yes softness and drape does make a lot of sense. I can see weight being a big factor too. I agree with flannel being wonderfully comforting. Also any brushed fabric on the back of a quilt helps it stay where it is put. I used brushed cotton on a lot of my 'daily drive' quilts.

Ferret

Archived