hooked on feathers

I got this book on Friday and practiced on my big eraceable white board. They look horrible. The directions were not very good it just shows examples of feathers. I need step by step directions. Has anybody else tried hooked on feathers and if so how long did it take before they looked like feathers?.

Thanks, Nora

Millennium

Washougal WA

Hi Nora,

I do have the book and the DVD. I have tried them a few times. I can kinda do them on paper but not on the machine......yet. I do like the way they look.

So...........I'm no help!:D:D I really think the DVD was a help. I can let you borrow it if you promise to send it back.

I agree with Beth. I have the Hooked on feathers book and have tried them but have not been happy with the results. I just took Myrna's feather class and they look much better to me. I haven't tried them on my machine yet (life gets in the way!!) but my drawings look pretty cool. If you can take a class from Myrna or get her DVD, I think that is the way to go.

Hi Nora & Sylvia I've found that there are several ways to create feathers and you just need to try them all to see which fit you best. I do a few and mostly a combination of up one side and down the other. Myrna's DVD is fab as is Lisa Calle's workbook, Feathers of a New Generation- http://www.stonehousequilting.com/awards/ . I learned the old fashioned way of drawing the 'c' part of the spines with stencils, it was good practice.

Using your white board on your lap, not upright like a schoolroom chalkboard is the best way to build muscle memory. I hope that this helps!

I just got Sally Terry's "Hooked on Feathers" in the mail today. I spent the afternoon waiting in the Dr. office (literally) I had an appmt. The Dr. was delivering a baby at the nearby hospital---so I waited. Babies have priority over anyone's appmts.:P

I wasn't bored because I had my new "Hooked on Feathers" book with me and I was drawing and practicing the whole time. 2 hours worth. :)

I thought the whole concept was neat! I can't wait to try them---until I read the negative notes posted here.:( Now I'm worried---I love Sally's "terry twist" and use it a lot. I thought the book was very instructional and well written. I love doing feathers. The "bump" type are my favorite. Maybe these "hooks" will become a favorite too....

I love Terry's Hooked on Feathers. I love doing teardrops in all sizes and the "hook" is not new to me. I just have to remember to do the upside the right way. I am good going right, but boy, doing the left side gets me all "buggered" up. One of these days. I am Woman, I can drive truck, read a book, paint my nails, chew gum and quilt, all at the same time, i know I can do feathers....I know I can I know I can I know.....

Originally posted by JustSewSimple

Hmmmmmmm, I think I do feathers bottom up. Never thought about it before. Perhaps I should practive top down. Wonder what the differences would be???????:o:o:o

For many feather designs it doesn't matter which way you draw them. Some do work much better one way or the other. For me, I think the hooked feathers would build better from the bottom up, but I am really not good at working in that direction. I can't complain I am ambidextrous for most things but feathers I am very handed, I have to work top down.

I'd be interested to know if those who are finding the hooked feathers easier are bottom up workers.

Ferret

I took the Hooked on Feathers workshop at Innovations and loved it! I have done feathers on numerous quilts since then. If you have the book, I think the important thing is to come up off the last feather at a 45 degree angle and make the top of the feather round and just touch the one before. Then when you head back down make a nice big round curve when you start. Once you get them, these are easy and forgiving.

Keep trying.

Sylvia

Caron Carson is a "hooked on feathers" girl and she does FABULOUS Hooked feathers! She has shared photos of them many time son this chat. I've tried doing them and they weren't as pretty as Caron's hooked feathers but they were not bad! Just a different technique and I like them. Yes, do them bottom up.

Here's a link to Caron's quilt

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=15200&page=1#pid163118

Sylvia, now what are you saying about the 45 degree angle? is that in the book? I didn't see it. Are you saying to remember to come off the spine at a 45 degree angle? Please post a picture of yours so I can see the differences. I did say in one post that I was doing this before Hooked came out and so they are different. I don't have the nice big round curve back down; Mine stays tight to the first row of stitching and I put in a spine in each feather ( a lot of trouble). I just don't understand about the 45 degree thingie.

I saw the hooked on feathers on this site and decided to try them. I got the DVD, put a quilt on JJ and off I went. My quilt turned out great. For some reason these are feathers that I can do. My others look terrible. Like what has been said above, it is just what you are comfortable doing.

Pamela

I started out with Myrna's feathers--which I love--and which, I think, are kind of freeing--but then I saw Sally's Hooked on Feathers, and loved those. I think the hooked ones are easier for me--and I can do both--it just depends on what I'm doing and how I feel--but I definitely have to get a rhythm going with either one!! I thought the hooked feathers and CD were very good--Jane

I love Hooked on Feathers, they are the MOST forgiving of all. You do have to be careful and work opposite of the way you do when doing regular longarm feathers. Like doing the hump and bump variety but without the need to backtrack carefully. Just stop and think a bit and visualize how they need to go.

Archived