Experience with Polyquilter Thread

Do any of you have experience with polyquilter thread. I purchased it from Bob's Superior Thread. It's a thicker thread so I used the needle recommended by Bob for King Tut thread and used So Fine in the bobbin. I was quilting on a flannel top. My tension was fine, but the thread seemed to bunch up at times (fraying) then wouldn't go through the needle. I omitted the last eye thinking it was rubbing on the edge of the machine (causing the fraying). I couldn't really tell if it made a difference. It was a small baby quilt and the fraying happened only about three times, but still can't figure out the fix for it. Any ideas?

The other issue I had was that while free motion quilting, my top thread would show a bit on the bottom when I kind of stopped at sharp points and was taking off a bit. Is that a result of stopping too much, not just slowing down or tension. I was using a longer stitch for effect - 9". Any ideas

Pat Schafer

Pat Schafer

Poly Quilter is pretty thick TEX 54. I use a lot of TEX 40 usually Signature or PermaCore because a large number of my customers like to see the thread. I have not tried the Poly Quilter. I have some MR5.0 needles that I use when I have problems with thread breakage at the needle. You might want to consider that,

And the pokies at the points is probably a combination of thinner batting and the thick top thread. I was doing a quilt a couple days ago that had thread changes.

Madeira Monolon for SID( which and I run sloppy loose, on top) , So Fine Ivy green and So Fine 402 Pearl. I went to the green immediately after using the monolon and got a couple pokies in the points of the green on the pale green back because I had forgotten to tighten my top tension. Yikes. Once the quilt was off the machine and puffing back up, you hardly noticed the pokies. My customer was OK with them.

I slow down a bit for the fatter threads and have found that mineral oil (so much more affordable than Sewers Aid) really helps with fraying threads. It's a Sharon Schamber suggestion...buy a big bottle at the drug store. She soaks her threads in the mineral oil. So far, I have only been brave enough to paint it onto the thread cone with a small paintbrush but it works immediately on metallics, silks, any problem threads. Nancy in Tucson

I thought Sharon used silicone on her threads. The same thing as sewers aid, and the sprays, and that is what she dunks her threads in. That is what she discussed in the class I took from her. Her daughter used to carry the specific item on her website.. Sharon used to stock some in her booth at the shows. I've never heard her mention mineral oil. When did she change?

I would think mineral oil would bleed oil spots onto your quilt. It's a "wet" oil where silcone is fairly dry. I was also told that Sharon uses silicone which isn't even close to mineral oil. If you talk to "thread painters" they don't put anything on their millions of miles of thread. There also is "bad lots" of thread. I recommend you call Bob the thread man at Superior and tell him what's happening, if anyone can help you he can.

Originally posted by ramona-quilter

Poly Quilter is pretty thick TEX 54......I have some MR 5.0 needles that I use when I have problems with thread breakage at the needle. You might want to consider that

Hi Linda, I know you have a Gammill but I am curious about switching to a 5.0 needle on the APQS machines??? I read some place here a while back that if you choose to go to 5.0 you need to make a slight adjustment (e.g. retime your machine) so it stitches properly with the 5.0? Is this correct? The largest size I have is 4.5 and I have successfully used these with the really fat Valdani thread with no trouble.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had issues with PolyQuilter as well - and I bought more than a few cones at Superior when I was at MQX. Don't know why I do this to myself. Silicone didn't help. It seems to really Drag when after being threaded in the take-up lever and down through the guides. Even with very loose tension I still have that drag factor.

Silicon is just like sewers aid they are thread conditioners and from what I understand, they are used by commercial garment sewers, revives old threads so they say.

Racquel, my dealer introduced me to silicon, she is a friend to Sharon , I had to buy 5 gallons, yes that much and split the cost with another longarmer here in my neighborhood. About $150.00, shipping inclusive a couple of years ago, sold some to other longarmers I know of in our guild. I still have about a gallon left.

Cant remember the name of the company, I google searched it. I dont dunk my thread, first time I did, it got a bit stiff, I just squirt around the cone and I really think that it helps specially when there is drastic weather change or humidity.

Corey

Archived