New Studio...in a Yurt

Its been decided...or maybe I should say decided for us, but my mother in law will be moving in (her health just isn't letting her live alone) and the studio will be moving out of the master bedroom to a yurt.

We decided on a 24' yurt because of the money ($15,000 total with kitchenette, heating, flooring, etc., vs. $50K without anything). www.pacificyurts.com will show you what we're getting which is the standard package that's on sale and includes 5 windows (yeah...lots of light!:))

Anyway...I need your help. In your dream studio, what could you not live without and what would you have if you had the space? I'll have almost 450 sq. ft., so I'm really trying to use the space wisely. A small bit will be taken up with a tiny bath and kitchenette, but the rest is wide open. Any and all suggestions and pictures welcome!!!

Wow, if I were you, I would go to google images and type in quilt studio and see what you find. There are some great pictures....you can spend a long, long time there...and I think it includes webshots.

Oh, and I wish we could have something like that here......maybe I need to move to CA!! That is just too cool!

Besides the obvious: electicity, lighting, climate control and security, how about:

--a BIG cutting table to storage (under) and for squaring up your backings.

--cabinets for thread storage.

--Batting rack which holds rolls of batt

-- separate piecing area

-- hanging storage for quilting waiting to get done.

-- Quilt hanging rack to display quilts

-- a Big ironing board.

All of these things are wanna-haves or must-haves.

I hope we get to see photos when it is done.

Linda & Holly...great ideas. I've already figured on lots of outlets, but I didn't even think about being able to turn on/off separately. Great idea.

Pictures will be posted of the entire process...maybe even my DH clearing the land. Now, wouldn't those be exciting???

I LOVE tree frogs. They're so little and cute and they make such HUGE noises. I've watched one of my dogs sniffing at one, it rivets, the dog goes straight up in the air (all four feet off the ground!), then runs away madly trying to figure out where the sound came from. Pets are so entertaining:P

I've seen cats jump straight up, all four feet, and then madly scramble away from the spook. Yup, they sure are entertaining.

Dory, you must be in quilter's heaven, dreaming up this new yurt studio. I looked at some of those pictures and it takes a while to surf them. I think it would be wise to look at what you have now, then spin off from there.

I have many times done my own rearranging to find a more efficient way to organize my studio. What I end up doing is decluttering and keeping only what I need. Everything else goes into another room for a while. When I have elbow room, I am much more at peace and really enjoy the process of quilting.

Just don't go overboard and try to fill EVERY space. Start with the essentials and leave space--empty space. It usually fills up without having to plan for it.

We'll look forward to the progress pictures. and I do hope things go well having your MIL so close.

Hi Dory,

How exciting to be planning a new space. I almost enjoyed the planning process as much as I enjoy the finished product.

One thing I did to maximize my storage for stash (and a lot of other stuff), I bought shelving units from IKEA. They are 30" wide, 67" tall and 21" deep. Then to use less wall space while fitting 6 of these units in we bought movers' dollies from Harbor Freight and screwed the shelf units to them and put the units in sideways. Clear as mud?? There are pictures on my webshots, addy below.

We also made my pressing center out of "Hobby Cabinets" purchased as unfinished and knocked down. Some assembly required. We simply made the pressing surface out of leftovers from building the cutting and sewing centers.

And certainly, lots of outlets. Putting the longarm on a separate circuit and the Iron on a separate one also is helpful.

Also put the lights in zones with separate switches helps to save some energy by not having the entire room's light on all the time. The lights over the longarm can be turned on separatly which helps make shadows when needed.

Phew, didn't I get long winded.

Dory,

so happy for you that you will get to design from the ground up. I love my large space, but I was not long arming when I first took it over so it was more than adequate for sewing, office and crafts. I have adapted and upgraded the space since opening a business and as others will probably tell you, lighting and adequate power are essential. My space has all new large windows overlooking the farm and orchards which gives me excellent light during the day and new upgraded lighting for evening. Because of so many windows and doorways (on three walls) I wish I had a wall for a large table (probably 4' x 8'). I would use it primarily for cutting, squaring up and measuring quilts and would love to have batting storage underneath. One other thing that I think is important is having my long arm, computer for compuquilter and desktop computer on their own circuit. Now I don't worry about a brown out while irons, coffeemaker, compressor, or microwaves are on. You will probably want storage space for a vacuum, too.

good luck -- can't wait to see the pix.

Dory - You are so fortunate to get to plan a new studio. I agree with everyone above, and I also think it would be good to see your DH clearing the spot ---- would he do this with his shirt off???? Oh my, did I say that out loud? Just wondering LOLOLOL:cool:

the one thing i would INSIST on if i got to design my own studio- A HALF BATHROOM!

i HATE having to run up the stairs, down the hall, then into the master bath. we have a split level 'ranch' i HATE HATE the bathroom layout. my studio is on one far corner, the bathroom is in the other opposite corner.

i know its probably TMI, but sometimes it's just too close of a call.....

dory- you feel free to ring my doorbell anytime. and yes, i have room ya!

Google quilt or sewing studio. There is one site that has LOTS of links to studios that people have posted online. She's just gathered the links alll together in one spot.

Can't think of the name, the link is burried in my dead. Computer, but the link is very popular and will be on the first page that comes up on Google.

Wow Dory!! You must be auditioning floor plans in your head all day long! How exciting!

It looks to be a nice size for all your needs.

I echo Shannon's comment about a bathroom.

Also, decide on placement of your machine before the yurt is wired so you can get an outlet in the floor under the table. Or maybe several floor outlets so you can change your mind and move the table any time you want!

Other than that, you have a wonderful "clean slate" to start with. Please keep us posted on your decisions--it is a great adventure!

Lynda, thanks for all the good suggestions. I love your layout and the idea of the shelving units on dollies. I loved that the first time I saw them, but then forgot about them. We bought really tall glass-doored bookcases from Ikea for my fabric stash (its dusty where we live, so we needed the doors), but other things would certainly work on moving shelves. What are "hobby cabinets"? I'm really wanting a huge space for squaring and pressing quilts, so that sounds like it may be perfect. Darlene Epp has a really large cutting/squaring table in her studio. She even drew on the pressing part certain sizes of blocks so that when she presses, she can make sure they're perfect.

Different circuits are a great idea as well. Currently, my longarm, the room heater (now electric, but will be a propane Monitor when we move) and my husband's heat press are all on the same circuit. That means that if we forget to shut off the heater, we pop the circuit breaker when he starts the heat press. It would be nice to not have to remember about that stuff.

Georgia, you sound like me. When we built our house, I wasn't quilting. I initially took over the office; then the master bedroom with my longarm. Its nice to be pretty-much set equipment wise prior to deciding on where things should go.

I plan to have tons of outlets, including floor outlets. Since our yurt will be on piers, it should be pretty easy to wire.

Kenna, the site is actually called Quilt Studio, I think. I found it earlier today.

And Shannon...I am just way far ahead of you. :P:P I told my DH that I wanted a bathroom, a real one with a shower, and have refused to change my mind. I rarely commit to something so strongly, so instead of disagreeing, now we're trying to figure out where to put it in the room. He thought I could just run next door to the house...NOT! Can you imagine...3-4 feet of snow, running next door, taking my shoes off and trying to make it inside...its just not an option. I'm also going to have a really tiny kitchenette with a sink, stovetop, tiny fridge and maybe even a microwave. I don't want to have to leave just because I'm jonesing for a cup of coffee! My studio (yes, it MINE--even if Dennis' embroidery stuff and heat press will be in there:P) will be perfect!!!

Clearing pictures will start tomorrow...hopefully. Maybe I'll even figure out how to use Picasa Web so that I can link them all!

Hi Dory,

The Hobby centers are actually called Hobby Stations item #927W1 by Chaparral Furniture. I got them at Fred Meyer's. I googled them once a while ago but haven't lately. They are distributed by Whittier Wood Products in Eugene.

My pressing surface is approx. 2' X 6'.

My cutting center will extend to 4' X 8'.

Have a great time with your construction.

How fun for you to be able to plan from scratch.

Perhaps this is obvious, but a comfy chair in the corner (oops, I guess yurts don't have those) for you to sit and ponder designs, sketch, or sip a cup and admire your beautiful work. Maybe even a second one for a visitor to join you. And I love having my small flat screen TV with built-in DVD player when I need to "attend class".

Looking forward to the watching the new studio unfold.

Julie

Archived