does anyone know...? (callin kim brunner)

i ordered Kim Brunner's Twirly Whirly Feathers DVD and i was wondering if anyone who has it recogonized the side clamps she has??? i'm not crazy about the ones i have now (not APQS's) and would like to get the one she has...i sent an email weeks ago and haven't heard back.....

thanks

I'm sure I saw these red/orange clips in the Hinterberg/Voyager booth at the Paducah quilt show, but I don't find the clips on their web site. They had Twirly Whirly Feathers feathers for sale, and I was able to get the book/DVD from them. YEAH! You might call the Hinterberg folks to see if they carry them.

Originally posted by SandraC

I found these ones on-line but now I don't think they are what you are looking for. Has anyone tried these...how do you like them????

https://www.canadianlongarmsupplies.com/index.php?crn=340&rn=2055&action=show_detail

I have these - love 'em!!

I have had the feathelite clamps that Dory posted the site for...didn't like them.

The clamps that came with the APQS machine look much like the wide one you have pictured, and they held very well, the wide edge would be better because it wouldn't pinch one part of the edge. However, if you have weak hands, as I do, I can't squeeze them to attach them to the quilt.

my fiance, DAvis, says i have an obsessive personality. i don't give up til i find what i want. i explained to him that it's not an obsession (fabric is my obsession :) ) but i'm only a good LAer as the tools i have. (that's what he always tells me: i'm only as good as the tools i have)

i just agree with everyone else- they look good. kindda the best of two clamps- the strength of the skinny metal ones that came with the machine and the width of the clamp-lites. i'm still looking. i have emails out to various sources.....i'll let you know what i find or don't find :(

leann-

i have 2 sets. 2 clamps per side. i cut the 'velcro-y' stuff off and unscrewed the bolt that held the metal ones and attached the elastic to the clamp lites. i think that opening the clamp-lites is very similiar to the big "chip clips" they have for potato chip bags....

post--1346190169261_thumb.jpg

you know i'm almost wondering if someone didn't custom make those for kim. they look like someone welded that bar to the clamp she already had, then she just rubber coated the whole thing (they sell that rubber coating at Home Depot)...my future FIL welds.....hmmm....if i dont find a source, i'll make my own. perhaps i could make extras....the hamsters are running faster in their wheels...:P

it's not that i don't 'like' them, i just want a better mousetrap. if i barely bump them with the machine, they pull off the fabric. they don't have the grip that i would like. plus (this is getting nit picky) they're thick when i'm quilting the machine gets 'stuck' on them. it doesn't seem to matter if the backing is big enough, but we all know that that happens rarely :) the ones kim has look thin, so the machine would glide right by without bumping them...plus they would be strong enough to pull the fabric without falling off.

kristinia- i'm sending you an email

Originally posted by SandraC

I found these ones on-line but now I don't think they are what you are looking for. Has anyone tried these...how do you like them????

https://www.canadianlongarmsupplies.com/index.php?crn=340&rn=2055&action=show_detail

I tried these, and loved them, but they don't last. I went through 4 sets before I gave up.

I do like the look of the wide metal ones, and yes they could be made, I don't think I will have time for any welding until the autumn but I'll let you know how I get on if that's the only way to get them.

Ferret

Okay, Shannon, 'fess up. Is that a "face" on your LA??? You gotta take a close-up picture!:D

I don't like the ones you have for many of the same reasons, but I love the featherlight clamps. I never thought of just taking off the ones that come with the machine, thinking I might need to use them sometime. Haven't in months, so I don't think I'll miss them if I do some rearranging.

Archived