Best optional equipment

Good morning!

I have been waiting for my quilting room to be completed forever(2 years). It seems as if this might be happening. What i would like to know before i purchase a millie (alias fantasy machine) is this; what optional equipment isn't really optional? In other words, what do you really use?

I know you guys will have opinions on this and i appreciate your guidance!

Lord's peace

francine

Like MaryBeth above mentiones...Quilt Glide does sound like an awesome option, and a Millie comes with a sitich regulator and channel locks...which I use all the time too. The power fabric advance is also very handy to have.

I really like lots of thread! I use Superior and Aurifil threads in my machine!

I also like to use a ruler for SID and my favorite is: Janet-Lee's favorite by the Gadget's Girls.

Also a base expander of some sort is a must, especially for any ruler work.

A magnetic nut bowl to keep all your pins in is handy.

If you can get a small air compressor for blowing out lint in your bobbin area is handy...although canned air will work too.

I also use the Clover Fine White marking pen, I like it 'cuz it dissappears with steam.

That's all I can think of right now...I am sure others will add their 2 cents also. How exciting for you!

Hi Francine;

Just keep looking at this forum long enough and you will soon have a longarm machine in your new quilting room!:P:P

I am not really sure what you mean by "optional equipment". Do you mean extra toys that you buy or things that are on the machine? The millie comes with all the bells and whistles, once it is delivered and set up you are good to go!!

Hi Francine,

As a long time user I would say, Auto Fabric Advance (HUGE time saver!), & Hydraulic Lift (HUGE back saver!). QuiltGlide is a new option that I think is going to be on the "must have" list for those of us that do tiny background fills, or like to slow way down to do intricate work.

Overhead wiring is something you can easily rig up yourself, IF you feel it's necessary.

Of course the Millennium already comes equipped with Lower Thread Cutter, Electronic (not magnetic!) Horizonal AND Vertical Channel Locks, and what I personally believe is the best Stitch Regulator on the market. It also has the black & white LED lighting system.

If you're even considering adding QuiltStudio, APQS' new computerized system, which will be released soon, I'd get the machine pre-wired for it. It's a small $500 down payment which is deducted from the price of QuiltStudio when you complete the order.

QuiltStudio is being beta-tested right now by some gals that really know their stuff when it comes to computerized systems. The feedback is that the precision is absolutely amazing and the hardware is too. The anchor stitches are next to invisible, which makes ME happy! :D

I have an old frame and I don't have hydraulic lift. I sit to quilt and I don't think that my lowest available setting is low enough. Can anyone tell me the lowest height available on a newer frame with/without the hydraulic lift.

Thanks for the information.

Donna

All the above plus

a couple good rulers.......straight and the even numbered circles and ovals

lots of thread (I just bought a ton of poly from a lady that bought out a warehouse so if anyone is interested I can give you her email addy.......and it's really cheap...60 cents for colored and 1.60 black and white......4000 yard cones......so far I'm on my 8th cone and loving it)

swag rulers from gadget girls.

Originally posted by penelopefabric

What i would like to know before i purchase a millie (alias fantasy machine) is this; what optional equipment isn't really optional? In other words, what do you really use?

francine

Okay...am I understanding you correctly...you are thinking of purchasing a Millie...but are undecided. You are asking what options on our machines we can not live without...right? You are not asking about rulers, thread, etc, ribht?

I am definitly getting a millie, but do not want to buy options such as base extenders etc. if it is unlikely i will use them. I have piles of gadgets already. You guys are the greatest. I have been reading the forum for 2 years now and feel as if i know you. You are so kind and supportive. This was the deciding factor in choosing a millie over the prodigy. I feel as if the apqs community is a wonderful group.

Originally posted by penelopefabric

but do not want to buy options such as base extenders etc. if it is unlikely i will use them.

Well that is one of the first things you will want to get...you will never be able to do rule work without it..... there are several on the market, but my favorite is the one you can get from Donita Reeves.... http://www.lovetoquilt.com

Good luck with deciding which you will need and which you want...I've been doing this a long time and I think I have just about one of everything....well I still missing a few things. Still don't have a Circle Lord....

I just purchase my new Millennium :D and my dealer was awesome in helping me decide just which options I really needed as I could not afford all of them right now.

I did go with the 2009 Millennium which came with stitch regulator, channel lock and so much more. I added Fabric Advance and Base Extender (you need this if you think you might do any cross hatching or SID or use any type of rulers). If money was not an option, I would have added Quilt Guide.

I so appreciate all the responses from the others and have made myself some notes on rulers and such to look for. Cheri :)

The hydraulic lift depends on how tall you are. I do not have it because I am only 4' 11" and with the machine on the floor I still can't reach all the way to the back. It is a great thing for anyone who is taller than me (like the majority of the world). Get a lot of thread. I have some nice and easy pantographs from WillowStudio.com and Goldenthreads.com. The Easy Cut Spring Action Scissors are very handy with their curved blades. It helps to cut thread but not your quilt.

Enjoy your machine and practice, practice, practice.

Charlotte

Thanks Patty,

I just upgraded my Millenium for the new model and no one mentioned the Quilt Glide to me. The only extra they offered me was to make it CQ ready. My '04 Millie had the switch added to the head. How new is the Quilt Glide? I think I ordered my new Millie in August or Sept.

Anne

Archived