Men's ties quilt

I did a tie quilt , replaced a stolen quilt(ex wife took quilt his mother made years before). I copied his mother's design, crazy quilt in sashed blocks, I changed the brown sashing from the past to navy, and did gold and red feather stitching on the seams. The businessman from NYC liked it a lot, I had seen pictures of similar design in museum catalog.

Advise on ties: they are silk, are kind of creepy to feel , sew, and they are always cut on the bias. They are lined, sometimes the lining comes out easily, sometimes not. They are hard to clean, so sometimes are not like working with new fabric. They fray. In short, I earned every penny. Be careful with any design requiring accuracy, they stretch a lot.

All that said, I really liked how his quilt turned out, he had ties from West Point Academy, Harvard, and many others. I kept the labels when I could and put them together on the back panel. He had the last laugh on his ex.....

Pat

Karen Stone has a pattern called "Untitled" that is made from ties.

Mine is still a PHD, but someday in the near future I'll get back on it.

Here is a link to a picture.

http://www.sews.com/quilting/patterns/karenstone/1027818l.jpg

P.S. If it were me, I would have my client "gut" and open the ties out before giving them to me....that part is a major PITA.;)

I have just been asked to do a tie quilt too and I don't know how much to charge for it. It sounds like ALOT of work. I was thinking of using foundation piecing to help stabilize the bias fabric of the ties. Anyhow....how much do you think I should charge for a queen size quilt made from ties, foundation pieced and quilted with an all over pattern! Any thoughts?!

Pricing is something I am not sure of. I would like any ideas. I was thinking of having the customer open the ties and take out the filler. I have not met her yet so I am not sure if that will work.

ditto Abigail!!

I have worked with ties a few times, and in my opinion, paper piecing is the best way to go....if you don't want to pp, then I would get a light weight, knit fusible to iron on the back of the silk...this helps greatly to control the bias issues.

Also, Robert Talbott makes gorgeous ties...Nordstroms as well as other high end department stores carry them. There is a Robert Talbott outlet in California, and they sell 10 lb. bags of tie remnants. Opening one of these bags is like Christmas morning!! The fabrics are delicious!! The majority of the remnants are approximately 18" square....some larger...very few smaller.

All the fabrics are the beautiful heavy woven silks....not thin, flimsy silk.

And, you don't have to dissect the ties!!

This is the phone number for the Robert Talbott outlet...831 659-4540.

I have ordered more than one bag at a time and always have a wonderful variety....in other words, the bags do not contain the same fabrics.

Have fun!!

Last time I ordered, a 10 lb. bag was $20. +$6.00 shipping to Texas

I took a class at VQF years ago with Shirley Botsford who wrote a book called 'Daddy's Ties'. She recommended stabilising the tie silk with a light iron-on stabiliser. Of course, I still haven't finished the tie quilt so can't say how it quilts!

Anne H

APQS Sales & Education

I charge $15.00 an hour to make a cotton quilt. For a PITA silk tie quilt I don't think I would charge less than $20.00 an hour and give a rough estimate of piecing, quilting and binding charges. Quote high and you'll find out quick if they really want a silk tie quilt. Good Luck :)

I made a quilt of silk ties. The ties provided to me were all wide ties. I ripped them apart and made a flat piece of them. Washed them gently. Ironed on a knit stabilizer then cut strips on the straight of grain. 3 or 4 silk suits were provided also and incorporated into the king size Log Cabin patterned quilt. Turned out beautiful. A lot of work though, it was for a dear friend and customer though (she paid me well).

Ginny Snowden

Bonnie,

I saw that quilt when I googled men's tie quilts. That's a lot of ties!

Ginny,

Do you have a picture of the quilt you did?

Angela,

Yours is gorgeous! What kind of fabric did you use in the borders and sashing? Did you use it on the back also?

Thanks for the ideas!

I do have a picture, however I will try to scan it into computer and post a pic.

I have never done this.

The suits and ties I used were mostly dark and medium colored fabric. I purchased some wool gabardine fabric to border it and used some of the red ties for a narrow inner border.

Ginny

I did a small wall hanging quilt for a friend. Her husband had died quite a while back when her daughter was only about 3. She had hung on to all of his ties, wanting to do something with them. Last Christmas, she hired me to make something with them for her now college age daughter. It turned out really nice and the daughter just loved it and appreciated it, but I tell you, I will NEVER make anything with ties again~! Lesson learned!!:) linda

Archived