Linda's Cross-hatch Rulers - Now with a picture

I bought these some time ago and every quilt I've tried to use them on has been wonky, so no go:(...until yesterday. I have a very prolific quilter that is very precise and the quilt I'm doing for her now is a real challenge. She was very disappointed with it after finishing it because she didn't like the pattern as much as she had in the magazine. So...my job is to try to make her LOVE this quilt with my quilting:P

I'm doing crosshatching in every other block and these rulers are the BEST! Truly, the only thing Denny could do to make them better would be to etch guidelines on them. However, tape works just as well.

So Linda...kudos to you and Denny for such a great product!!

So Dory

what did you do different yesterday that made them work. or was it other methods you used before that didnt work. Sounds like you figured something out, inquiring minds want to know. I haven't tried mine yet. Let me learn the easy way instead of trial and error :cool:

Light just went on, I miss read the post, sorry no wobbles from the rulers just the quilt wonky, thanks Kristina. I have a quilt I am getting ready to use them on and need all the hints and confidence I can gather to take the plunge. I am a big chicken when it comes to trying new things.

Jeanne, Kristina was right; the quilt was Wonky with a capital "W"!!:P

I watched a video on MQ Resource (the premier membership videos) that showed how to do crosshatching...the hard way, IMHO:D They showed starting always from the same corner, measuring across and marking and then stitching. I don't mind putting the occasional mark on my customer's quilts, but I don't want to draw lines.

I started from the top left corner and went to the bottom right corner and then decided to make my squares appx 1/2 to 3/4" wide. After doing the first line, I marked where the second should go and lined up my ruler. Then I put that tape stuff along that line and lined up each successive line with the tape. That worked great from the top left corner out...not so much going back the other way.

Next block I got smarter. I measured the block top to bottom and figured that as long as I was keeping with the same square size, I could start at the bottom left corner with my first diagonal and work my way over and across. Had to fudge a bit to make it end up in the corners, but hey, Bonnie says if you can't see it on a horse galloping by, then its good enough...right?? I also used BL top and bobbin so that I can backtrack rather than burying all those zillions of threads!

So...clear as mud??:P:D

Nope, I won't be at the meeting this time; I'm headed to Reno and will be taking a class from our Sherry Rogers-Harrison!! Couldn't pass that up.

Here's a picture of what I've done so far with Linda's rulers...I'm really having fun with this quilt!

post--13461901853828_thumb.jpg

Dory -

I love love love my rulers! I look for excuses to use them on practically every quilt!

To Mark mine, I turned them upside down, and laid them on top of my rotary ruler... and I used permanent marker. I used black for the center 1" and red for the 1/2" and 1/4" lines. You also have to take into consideration that your machine foot rides 1/4" from the edge of the ruler. I double checked the marker before I used it to be sure it doesn't come off.

have fun! and to everyone who doesn't have these rulers - you really need them! Contact Linda Rech or visit her website: www.topperquilttools.com

Archived