feathers on a log cabin

Hi Girls. I have an absolutely gorgeous log cabin quilt on the frame now. Blacks and creams done in the barn raising layout. I want to do 'bump' feathers in the separate areas. I want them very elegant and fancy schmancy!! LOL Does anyone have a path that you follow? I'm not sure, do I use the c shapes like Kim Brunner does in her twirly feathers dvd? Also the center diamond is dark and I want to put a feathered motif in it. Maybe a teardrop shape?? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Tracey

If you want them to be elegant and fancy schmancy then you should do a spine using the C curves like Kimmy does. I did a search on Webshots and found some from vegas quilter and I think these look pretty:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2097785430055441000XuesSN

Also, I am a big fan of Darlene Epp's feathered log cabin quilts. They are the longarm feathers, not the formal bump feathers, but just as beautiful, IMHO.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/50058827WeKqwC

Thanks Shana, I tried webshots but couldn't find anything with close ups. How'd you do that??:D I will post a pic of the quilt on the frame as soon as I get the monsters to bed. Right now they sound like a herd of elephants up there. Doesn't sound like much teeth brushing is going on!!LOL

Wow, that is a big Quilt. To get a closeup look at a picture on webshots, just click on the pixcture itself, it will then open in a new window much bigger.

I recently did a log cabin, nothing fancy schmancy like you are planning, but I used the Funky Chicken Panto with spectacular results.

post--13461901896347_thumb.jpg

That looks great Monika. I promised this lady some formal feathers and she has been waiting a very, very long time for me to get good at them. Now I'm afraid to start. LOL I need more help girls!! I need a map. Yeah that's it...I need a map of where/how to put my spines. Please?

I can't. I just keep staring at it like it's going to bite me. I will probably stalk it after work for a few days and then just pounce on it like a puma!!!! LOL That sounds very dramatic don't you think? Maybe if I sneak up very slowly it won't bite. I'm afraid. Very, very, afraid. I'm such a weenie.:o

Hi Tracey-

Go to my Webshots page http://community.webshots.com/user/kimmyquilt

and look in the My Personal Quilts album. There's a Log Cabin there that's full of feathers that sound just like what you're looking for.

The pics of that quilt do not show the spine paths very well, but if you look in the Customer Quilts 2004 album, the Fat Quarter's Wedding Quilt has very similar feathers, and the Fat Quarter's Wedding Quilt3 photo shows the spine path quite clearly.

I hope this gives you something to go on! DOn't be a weenite. You can so totally do this.

Kimmy

Tracey, I know what you mean about the fear! I've been psyching myself up to start a quilt today trying some Meandering Magic and Hooked on Feathers for the first time. It's one of my own quilts but it's kind of paralyzing me! No matter what, todays the day! Good luck to you, I hope we both "get over it" and just go for it!

Guys the best way to feather IMnHO is to just do it. Leap and people will like it. You will see the faults, others don't. When I am teaching the best feathers are the ones where the students just went for it. The flow shows far more than the quality, and the flow comes with just doing it. Don't stress feathers, they will look great.

At the moment I am filling a background on a nearly wholecloth with them is lots of different sizes, there is a picture of a little of the quilt on my blog. All the feathers are pretty random (I will try and get a photo today of the feathers). I tend to only plan at most one feather ahead. Quilt a feather. Pause, trace possible spines with my finger....... quilt the next feather, pause........ you get the idea. It works, for anyone. it is easier when you have boundries like in the log cabin because you don't have to think about such a large area, but it can fill anything.

Ferret

Tracey....take Kimmy's advise and go look at her site.... I was able to get Kimmy's latest DVD/Book set while I was at MQX (didn't know you were signing or I so would have been there), and came home sat and watched the DVD's and played.... Okay...then I learned how to breath.

Then I went and grabbed my Susanne Earley books and notes from class also taken at MQX...and sat once again and made feathers.....

I have to say even after 12 years of quilting, I never got the feather thing...I was yelled at by several people that if they didn't look like hand quilter feathers I wasn't doing them right, and every feather I ever put into a quilt was generally frogged and something else was put in that spot

....well :P

Yes I just stuck out my tongue at these people...feathers can be WHAT you want them to be...and don't let anyone, especially yourself stop you.

Here is a tid bit of what I'm doing right now...not great but, by golly I'm happy.

I take my hat off to Kimmy and Susanne....its been a LONG haul for me, but without you I'm not sure I could be doing this....

SO Tracey...put your big girl panties on...I had to, and just do it.;);)

post--1346190189962_thumb.jpg

Archived