upon her daughter..

'Don't forget your sisters,' she advised, swirling

the tea leaves to the bottom of her glass. 'They'll

be more important as you get older. No matter how

much you love your husband, no matter how much you

love the children you may have, you are still going

to need sisters. Remember to go places with them now

and then; do things with them.'

'Remember that 'sisters' means ALL the women...

your girlfriends, your daughters, and all your other

women relatives too. 'You'll need other women. Women

always do.'

What a funny piece of advice!' the young woman

thought. Haven't I just gotten married?

Haven't I just joined the couple-world? I'm now a

married woman, for goodness sake! A grownup! Surely

my husband and the family we may start will be all I

need to make my life worthwhile!'

But she listened to her mother. She kept contact

with her sisters and made more women friends each

year. As the years tumbled by, one after another,

she gradually came to understand that her mother really

knew what she was talking about. As time and nature

work their changes and their mysteries upon a woman,

sisters are the mainstays of her life..

After more than 60 years of living in this world,

here is what I've learned:

THIS SAYS IT ALL:

Time passes.

Life happens.

Distance separates.

Children grow up.

Jobs come and go.

Love waxes and wanes.

Men don't do what they're supposed to do.

Hearts break.

Parents die.

Colleagues forget favors.

Careers end.

BUT.........

Sisters are there, no matter how much time and how

many miles are

between you. A girl friend is never farther away

than needing her can reach.

When you have to walk that lonesome valley and you

have to walk it by yourself, the women in your life

will be on the valley's rim, cheering you on,

praying for you, pulling for you, intervening on

your behalf, and waiting with open arms at the

valley's end..

Sometimes, they will even break the rules and walk

beside you...Or come in and carry you out.

Girlfriends, daughters, granddaughters,

daughters-in-law, sisters, sisters-in-law, Mothers,

Grandmothers, aunties, nieces, cousins, and extended

family: all bless our life!

The world wouldn't be the same without women, and

neither would I. When we began this adventure called

womanhood, we had no idea of the incredible joys or

sorrows that lay ahead. Nor did we know how much we

would need each other..

Every day, we need each other still.

Thanks for sharing Bobbi. I agree, sister's are an essential part of life. I didn't have a sister in my family but when I married my husband, my SIL became the sister I never had. We love each other so much. For the past 6 years we go to the AQS show in Paducah. She comes up from La. to Ks and we drive over together. We act like teenagers!:D We have more fun than should be allowed by law.:D:D:D She always tells me if my husband and I ever split, she's keeping me!;) It's nice to see how we feel in the written word. Thanks again.

Bobbi,

Thank you for sharing this. As most of you know I lost my only sister to cancer a few years ago. There are a few of you from this chat that I have met and have spent time with, that I have adopted in my heart as my "sister" - and na-ni-na-ni boo-boo...you can't excape it :)

When I hear of strife in a family between sisters it really is upsetting to me. Sisters need to be strong in each other, not fight until the day they die. I was blessed with the best sister in the world, and now God has blessed me with my sisters I have met here.

Now, where are the Puffs.....

It IS so true, I'm glad you all appreciate it! My two sisters and I are very close as with my brothers...

MB, I am sooooo sorry about your sister, I know I would feel soooo lost without mine! Thanks for sharing that.

I love you all! My sisters in quilting friendship!

Thank you Bobbi for sharing this lovely truth. I never had blood sisters and my brother's died too young but the women that have been placed in my life have become my family. Although I have not met many of you, you are all still very special and I care about what is happening in your lives and I love to see your triumphs and I cry with your sorrows. Thank you for letting me part of your family. and the Moxie's are my sisters I get to see and Jim is the brother that replaces the ones I lost.

(((((((HUGS)))))))) and joyful thoughts for this day

Thank you for sharing Bobbi, I always wanted a sister but ended up with four brothers instead. I have a beautiful friend in my life for the past 20 years who I think of as a big sister, I would be lost without her.

Everyday I am drawn to this chat to see how my other "sisters" are doing. We don't need to know one another to feel the same ups and downs of daily life. And everyday there is someone here to hear your story or say a prayer for you.

Sending a big hug to everyone...

Guest Linda S

Amen Bobbi! I have been abundantly blessed with some of the best 'sisters' in the world. I'm often amazed how quickly they are there when I need them and I do my utmost to be there for them too. Some favors can never be repaid. It's wonderful to have this story as a reminder.

Linda

Bobbi, I was inspired by your post to call my sister today after reading it. We live in different states and don't get to see each other often, but talk every couple of weeks on the phone. We have both been dealing with some family stresses over the past few months - her's much worse than mine. We decided we needed a "sisters getaway" and are planning a week at a cottage in Maine in July for just the two of us. Thanks for the inspiration. Sisters, whether through birth or friendship, are a real blessing.

Oh Bobbi,

You have definitely hit the nail on the head with that posting!

I think that the majority of us here, consider all us regular chatters sisters, in some sort of way. We are closely quilted together here in cyber space, but would do anything for each other no matter the distance.

It IS a PERFECT write-up for our PERFECT SISTER GROUP here on APQS Chat.

AND, with that....i'd say that would make APQS, our parents! Thanks APQS for having

such a wonderful close quilted family!

Yes, Mr. Margie...your a sister too! LOL!

Bobbi,

Thanks so much for the beautiful reminder. I, like the others here have found new "sisters" on this forum. I often feel sorry that the majority of men don't have the support from other guys that women get from their "sisters" whether blood or blessed.

I have an older sister that I was once very close to but time and circumstances have changed that a bit. We are still somewhat close but not like before.

My spirit sisters of 40 and 33 yrs respectively have been there for me through my darkest hours. Kay, the one I met in Garmany while our husbands served in the Army, came from Montana to Ohio within 24 hrs of receiving the call that our son had died. She stayed for almost 2 wks. My own sister left after the funeral because I "didn't really need her" since Kay was there. Clarita, my other "sister" stayed with me everyday while my husband worked for more than 6 months because everyone was afraid I would die too. I probably would have too.

From many posts that have been on this forum I have seen the prayers and support that has been offered freely to others in need. What would we do without our sisters?

Some of us have been blessed with brothers like that too. Mine was like that so I am truly thankful.

Oh Marlette: I am so sorry you lost your son...

It's wonderful to have the friendship and love and prayers we get here on the forum... everyday it's kinda like a big ((((((((((((((((group hug))))))))))))))))!

I've learned so much from all of you and I feel what you all feel, and I KNOW you all feel the same way....

Archived