Shana's Wedding Quilt

Oh Gosh! I was hoping you would have forgotten about this quilt! :P

Anyway, yes,,,I have it pieced and loaded on the frame and it's ready to quilt!

It is called "Shana's Wait-to-the-Last-Minute-To-Whip-Out-A-Quilt Giant 4 Patch"

I picked two fabrics and cut into 10.5" blocks and put it together in a couple of hours. It's approx 80" square. I'll post photos tomorrow (my day off). Should be done with it.

You all are too much! :P

I'm doing binding both sides using my DSM. I could get that done in an hour. No problem. Easy peasy.

Funny thing is guess what? I can't attend the wedding because I have to work on Saturday night! The pipeline has a big maintenance project planned and I have to work. Oh well...not that big of a deal cuz it's Andre's friend that's getting married and he is gonna give it to them at the wedding since I can't go. I suppose that is good he is giving the quilt because he bought the fabric (but he doesn't know it yet... he will find out though, soon enough when he sees the receipt!) :P :P LOL

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

Hey Kristina,! That gives me an idea.... Hmmm.... I should make ME a wedding quilt for me cuz you know I did not get a quilt in 1992 when we got married... ;) Is it bad luck for the bride to make herself a wedding quilt after 15 years of wedded bliss? :D

Shana, I've been married 40 years. The only quilts I have used on my bed are the ones I've purchased. How does that saying go---"The cobbler's son has no shoes". I just bought the most gorgeous whole cloth quilt for my king-sized bed. I actually have been thinking about ripping the tags off so that it looks more homemade on close inspection. It was much faster than piecing the quilt I had planned. Someday!!! LOL.

From Shana's original post "Friends of ours are getting married this coming Saturday (July 18) and silly me... I decided (at the last moment...wedding is five days from today...) that I would make a lap size quilt as a gift."

Wow, Shana, that "lap" quilt is HUGE! Guess you couldn't stop once you got started?!:D

I think you should make yourself a "Silly Butts" quilt, too...anybody that can still stay they've had wedded bliss after 15 years deserves it! We celebrated our 25th anniversary last year and I've had the material for the quilt for about 3 years but haven't started it yet. It's on my "to do" list, BUT we do use two quilts I've made on our bed.

Anxiously awaiting the pictures of the "lap" quilt. ;)

I think making your hubby a quilt is a great idea! Oh, and you can use it too, of course!

I probably should make one for my husband of 13 years and 7 kids...just for putting up with all my craziness in difficult times!

Great...now I guess we all should make quilts for our own! Thanks alot Shana! Brilliant idea you had there Shana!

Hey, Shana,

The silly butts quilt idea could just take off, you never know. Next thing, you'll have book published with the pattern for all of us to use. However, I'm like Deb, who has a purchased quilt on her bed. Everyone raves over all the quilts I've made, but I give them all away. I still have a purchased quilt for my bed, because I haven't had time to quilt any of the tops I've finished for myself in the last six years. HA HA!:P

It's really not anything spectacularly fabulous........but it will do for a "quick git er dun" quilt.

I picked two fabrics (batik) with brown and blue. The bride-to-be likes this color combination so that's why I chose it. I hope she likes.... :cool:

I quilted edge to edge freehand longarm feathers and swirlies in between the feathers to fill. I did not use Stitch Regulator. I find it's easier (and quicker) without SR on this type of design. I had the needlle speed dial set on 13 which was a comfortable speed for me (not too fast or too slow) to keep the stitches at a good length.

For my very first time, I experimented and used a bright blue Madeira Polyneon thread in the top, and also used it in the bobbin. (Hey Nancy Jo...Are you looking here, girl???) See what I did with the Polyneon? I love it! It's a great thread! No breaks whatsoever. Not one problem. Love this thread! :) Anyone want to try this great thread, go for it. It's lovely. Polyneon is 30 weight and it's shiney like Rainbows. I like how the shiney sheen looks against the batik fabric. Made it sparkle.

Here's a closeup picture I took just after finishing the binding. The sun was shining in from my window by the DSM so it shows up nice.

post--13461902201828_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by CindyT

Wow, Shana, that "lap" quilt is HUGE! Guess you couldn't stop once you got started?!:D

Anxiously awaiting the pictures of the "lap" quilt. ;)

Hey Cindy. Well, I had 3 yard of each fabric, so I just cut the whole thing up into 10.5" squares and pieced it as big as I could, so this is the size it ended up being. It went together super fast. It's not as pretty as your grey, black and red quilt, but...hey it's done...whew!!

Here's a wide shot of the entire quilt. It doesn't look too fabulous here in this photo....but I had to do something fast without much notice... it's what I call a GIANT 4 patch. About 80" square.

post--13461902202343_thumb.jpg

Archived