rattling in bobbin area--problem solved

For those of you who have had the rattling issue - Do you get the rattling only when you are actually quilting (running thread thru the machine) or, do you also have the rattling nosie if you just turn on the machine and just have it sitting in 1 place? And, I've also seem to be getting a lot of vibration (bouncing) when I'm doing freehand. Spoken with APQS - we've adjusted the wheels, put carpet under the legs (I'm on a concrete floor) and that has helped the vibration some but, still there. Checked the timing and it seems OK. Just trying to pinpoint if we need to repack the gearbox. Thanks, Sally

• 1 month later...

HELP PLEASE !!

I have cleaned and oiled my bobbin casing and the hook area. It appears to me that the bobbin casing is rattling in the hook assembly. I don't recall this noise in the past, it appears to be new.

The noise is much more intense when i am actually sewing on quilt/batting/backing. When I move the machine off quilt and turn it on to just listen to it run - it still does rattle but not as much. I have also put in a new neddle. I am sure the noice is coming from this area.

Thank you for your help,

Tammy Isennock

New Market Maryland:(

Tammy, it sure sounds like you have an air bubble in the grease box. You're in the right thread! I sent an email to APQS and they sent me the instructions on how to repack it. I have yet to do it however. I understand it's not too difficult. You just have to take the machine off the rails to do it.

• 1 month later...

Turned on the machine today after it was sitting for a few days. I loaded a quilt, basted the batting and top of the quilt, then changed thread. I took about two stitches, and the machine sort of jammed. I took out the bobbin, rethreaded the top, and tried again. Now there is a "ticking" noise in the bobbin area. I have cleaned and oiled everything as advised in this thread. I have changed the needle, also. It makes the noise with the bobbin case in or out, threaded and unthreaded. I put in a new needle (well, two different ones, actually) and it still makes the ticking noise with every stitch.

I have oiled the wicks, also...and the machine is "marinating" right now, but the sound is not coming from the top of the machine. It is definitely the bobbin area.

Ideas??? (And of course, EVERYONE is at MQS and its the weekend, and I had planned a lot of quilting time on Sunday....sigh!)

Thanks, Shana...

I mentioned the problem to my DH, and he went down and did something to the machine.. put the needle in again and now its fine. He thinks the needle may have slipped down a bit before I got it tightened. He gave me a little pair of pliers to hold onto the needle with the next time I change it. I should have just had him look at it in the first place. He was an aircraft mechanic for 30 years, so a longarm machine isn't a major problem so long as we have the manual, and IF he has the time! Lucky for me, he had an open spot in his schedule for the weekend, so I'm back in business.

OK good, honey. :) Hey, I use a flower head pin to help me load my needle in the machine. I just lightly poke it through the eye and the flowerhead pin holds it in place for me (left hand) while I wrench down the needle bar screw with the flat head screwdriver with my right hand.

Tell your hubby he's a good guy for making time in his busy schedule to take care of you. :)

Archived