Now with pictures - Advise requested about a quilt...Am I asking for trouble?

A friend who I've quilted for a few times called to say a friend of hers dropped off a quilt for me to do. (?????) I never even met this woman. I asked her to have this woman call me on my cell.

But, my friend decided to drop off the quilt to my husband, who was clueless, and he took it, while I was out.

It is a kit from Keepsake, called Salt Water Taffy. It is 43" X 48" and done in assorted batiks. It's very pretty and nicely pieced. It is for her new granddaughter. The backing fabric is a pink batik that measures 45" wide X 60" long. The note in the bag said she wanted varigated thread - my choice. She also said she was including the batting, but there wasn't any batting in the bag.

Anyway, I got this ladies e-mail address from my friend and sent her a message late last night. It is dinner time tonight and I still haven't heard from her.

I am concerned for lots of reasons. One is the assumption that I would do it. I'm not in business and don't have insurance for quilting for customers.

Next, the top is 43" wide and the backing is 45" wide. I did something for charity that was pretty close on the sides and I sewed a 5" strip of cheap muslin to each side so I could clamp the sides. If I decide to do this quilt, I would think this is the only way I could do it. What do you experts think?

Also, the note said to just meander all over the top. Small, medium, large?

What about the batting? It was not in the bag. I have batting here, but what type would be best to use? Of course, I would have to ask her what she wanted, but with unwashed batiks on the top and bottom, using variegated thread, what do you suggest? What will hide potential tension issues or pokies? The batting can't be too thick on a baby quilt.

We also didn't discuss pay, however, my "friend" said she quoted her a price of $40, and she was happy with that. (Huh?) I guess I now have an agent. I know it was not done to be mean; I'm sure she was trying to be helpful to both of us, but a bit to gutsy, I feel.

I have pack's of baby quilt size Quilter's Dream Poly Select (mid-wt), QD Green, and QD Wool. If I have to choose between them, what would be the best?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am half way between taking it back to my friend to be returned to her friend, and on the flip side, just figuring out a way to do it and make this beautiful for the new baby.

So, what do you think I should do? Thanks in advance for any ideas or opinions.

Sandy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sandra, I would contact your friend and ask her to have this woman call you, or give you the woman's phone number. I would explain that you WILL NOT touch this quilt until you talk to the lady.

Then, explain to the lady (when you talk to her) that you do not have a quilting business. If she really wants you to do this quilt she will need to supply a bigger backing and the batting (or she will have to pay you for your batting at retail price).

THen decide what you want to do. It sounds like a fairly simple quilting job, but your friend should not have assumed anything. I would be having a talk with that friend.

Thanks, Teresa. I left a voice mail message on my friends phone and am waiting for her to get back to me.

I have one of my own quilts on the frame just now, so I won't be able to do hers until this one is finished in a few days. That will give her plenty of time to get back to me. When I e-mailed the lady, I also gave her my cell number, but she apparently doesn't check her e-mail as often as I do.

If she wants me to supply the batting, which one do you think would be the best choice of what I already have here (unless she tells me she wants cotton, which I only have a queen bat here, and I'm not cutting it for a small quilt). Since I recently bought the bats, I still have the receipt here, so I could charge her exactly what one costs me.

Thanks for your input.

Sandra, I ditto everything Teresa said. I'm a quilter like you who doesn't do customer quilts on my machine at home, but I use to work at a shop and did customer quilts there.

Now I get requests from people wanting me to do their quilts when they want more than E2E which is all the shops now offers. Because I'm not in business I'm very picky who's quilt I'll do, maybe 1 quilt every 3 or 4 months if that, it's just to risky and not worth the stress. I wouldn't do any quilt for someone I didn't know well. It's usually a good customer from the store who understands the situation, and who is in a bind timewise. I also donate the money I make to charity.

I really wouldn't touch this quilt until you've talked to her. Although once you do everything probably will work out and you both will be thankful for the opportunity.

Let's see--

Your friend made arrangements for you--without discussing it with you.

She made a promise to someone you don't know--on your behalf.

She quoted a price, without discussing it with you.

Sounds to me like she has more regard for this third person than she does for you.

She is either showing off to impress this other person with her connections--or she thinks she is doing you a favor. Either way, she is in control--not you. If you are OK with that (and way more forgiving and understanding than me!) work it out as best you can.

I know you are a very nice person (Shana told me!) and your comment about the quilt being for a new baby makes me think you are leaning towards trying to work it all out. If you do, you get the "Good Gal" gold star for the month.

Now, from the dark side (what I would do!)--I would have your friend come pick up the quilt and it will be HER responsibility to see the quilt gets back to the phantom customer. Let HER explain why things didn't work out. She made the promises--let her clean up the mess. But that's just me..........;)

I agree with what Teresa said (and I love what Linda said). Be careful because whatever you choose to do (in terms of your friend, her friend, and a price), you'll be setting a precedent for the future. Please be sure to let us know how this turns out for you! Nancy in Tucson

Linda,

You are so right! I was still just thinking about the potential problems quilting this could have, that I really didn't think through what my "friend" was doing. You are SO RIGHT! I thought she was just trying to be helpful to both of us, but she went way too far. I will see what this lady says when I finally get to talk to her and I will also have a "heart to heart" with my friend, too.

Terry and Mrs. A - I appreciate your thoughts on this, too.

I'll let you all know how this turns out. Thanks so much for your help sorting this out.

Just my two cents..........I agree with Linda. I would be inclined to return the quilt to your "friend" and let her deal with the explanations. If you decide you would like to do the quilt, I would recommend a cotton batting for any little one. Polyester melts, very bad. Cotton good. I know that Quilters Dream also makes a flame retardant specificially for wee ones. Good luck, let us know

Hi Sandy, this is probably a very innocent and naive person who means well but is not sure of the right way to do these things. You got good advice from Teresa. To avoid any misunderstandings, I think it's always best to have some sort of a direct connection with a customer, rather dealing through a 3rd party.

Yep. I totally agree with you, Shana. I was only able to get the ladies e-mail address so far, so last night I sent her an e-mail message. She hasn't responded to it yet. Today I called my friend and left her a voice mail to call me with the lady's phone number. So far, I haven't heard back from her, either. I think she is at her daughter's house babysitting. In the mean time, the quilt top and backing are folded and back in her bag...waiting for more information.

Sandra,

The fact that you don't have a business and you don't do quilting for others is all you need to say to your friend..give her back the quilt and let her deal with it just like Linda said.

Your friend ASSUMEd and you know what assume means when you break it down, your friends problem not yours ;)

Sorry for my bluntness but some people if you give a little they take alot!

Good luck with whatever your heart desides to do...it will be the right decision for you.

Also the fact that there is no batting and she said she included one. She may not want to pay for a batting that you use. If she had some cheaper stuff laying around and forgot to give it to you the batting could be half of the 40 dollar cost and she may not pay for the batting. So I too would wait for instructions from the horses mouth of what and how she would like this done, better to be on the same page than have a problem later.

Sandra,

Ditto to what everyone has said and tell your friend this is her problem(in a nice way) if this woman does not contact you in a couple of days, return the quilt to your friend!!! And perhaps DH should not accept quilts anymore!:D

I wouldn't touch that quilt!!! You don't need any of this!

Archived