Circle Lord vs Quiltazoid?

Liam

Liam I would go to each of the websites and check out the video's and there webshots and blogs. I am pretty sure that Quilta Zoid has a website up now, and CL has had one for quite some time. I recently just ordered the CL as they are having a great end of summer sale and there is so many templates available and more come out all the time. It sounds like Quilt a Zoid does alot of the same things that CL does, but it hasnt been out long enough to see too much of it yet.

http://www.loriclesquilting.com/

http://www.quiltazoid.com/

One of the biggest differences that I see between the two is CL is attached to the table and works from the back of the machine and the QuiltaZoid is attached to the top over the quilt and works from the front of the machine.

Everyone has their own preferences just like in machines. So it boils down to what works best for you.

I have not used the CL so I can't comment on that. I did watch several demos at MQX. I have used the Quiltazoid and love it. The thing that swayed me to go with the Quiltazoid was that I could use it from the front of the machine. They too have boards that you can purchase to use from the back but I've not tried them. I did a lot of comparisons and I find that the Quiltazoid templates in general have more stitching options per template. I love the variety that comes with it. Just the basic package gives you loads of designs. The CL also does not have the capability to do the spriograph designs. I'm not 100% positive but my guess is that some of the templates from CL would actually work on the Quiltazoid as well. If it were me deciding I would have to consider what my use of the machine would be. For me I like to stitch a design and then add my fills. There are others that would like to do mostly e2e type designs. Only you can decide what you will do. I find that the QZ is very well built and Linda & Adam are wonderful to work with. Good luck with your decision.

I agree, you should go to the web sites and look at both tools. Look at the designs all of the templates make. Decide if the designs made by the templates are the designs you want on your quilts. For instance, with Circle Lord, the Gingko makes 65 different flower patterns and now there is a Mini Gingko to boot, so you can vary the size depending on the size of your block or area you putting the design. The same with the Aztec...not sure how many patterns - lots - but it comes in 2 sizes.

For my taste, I'm just not into the spirograph on a quilt. But that is entirely up to the individual. I am so stinking traditional so I tend to stick with those type of designs.

As for working from the front or back of the machine, again, just up to the individual. I started out with pantos and I was comfortable with them, so I don't have a problem working from the back of the machine.

You will get a zillion differend opinions, you had the best advice from whoever said check out each web site. Those of us that have these tools are going to tell you what we think, but you need to decide.

Another good thing would be to try them out. If you know someone close by that has them, test drive them.

Mary Beth

Are you home resting today? Hope you are feeling better. I was very impressed with the Aztec and Ginko templates and all the different designs that just one template can make. I had to order them both and the mini's too. Can't wait to play, I want to create a sampler like Heidi did and just play with all the different designs to see what I can come up with. Should be here Weds. Just in time for My Lenni's 1st birthday! She will be so happy!!! ;):cool:

The Quiltazoid can be used from the back of the machine as well. Yet, it has the option of being used from the front of the machine. I can place circles and spirograph designs right where I want them from the front. I believe that the long template boards are used virtually the same way on both systems...from the back and via a stylus. The small tracing template of the Quiltazoid can be attached to the basic QZ system and run from the front as well.

Haven't used the CircleLord so can't comment about it. Have seen some very nice designs done on both systems however.

Hope this information helps.

I'm not sure about Quiltazoid, but Michael of CL offers that payment plan (no interest) that spreads the cost over 12 months. This makes it affordable and easier for me to make that "buy" decision, as I can justify $100 per month (more or less depending), vs putting out the full amount at one pop.

Maybe Quiltazoid offers that, too??? Just did not see that option on the website.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks to all! I have checked out both site and still haven't decided yet. I like the idea of test driving, but I only know of two LA'ers in my area and neither one of them have a CL or QZ. I am hoping that someone at the quilt expo in Madison this fall will have these, so I could test drive. Again Thanks to All of You! I love this forum, everyone here are so helpful.

Originally posted by IBQLTN2

Mary Beth

Are you home resting today? Hope you are feeling better. I was very impressed with the Aztec and Ginko templates and all the different designs that just one template can make. I had to order them both and the mini's too. Can't wait to play, I want to create a sampler like Heidi did and just play with all the different designs to see what I can come up with. Should be here Weds. Just in time for My Lenni's 1st birthday! She will be so happy!!! ;):cool:

Jeanne, say "Happy Birthday" to your Lenni for me...and congrats on 1 year!!

The sampler, like Heidi made is an excellent idea, much like Dawn has taught us to do with backrgound designs, etc. to show our customers to give them and idea of what you have in mind for their quilt. Can you imagine bringing out the Gingko template and pointing to a design and saying, "and this will go in that block" :o I think the customer would pick up her quilt top and sneak out the back door. But if you stitch it out on a sample piece, then they will know exactly what you are talking about.

MY thoughts exactly, even for a record for yourself to look at the quilt and say I think this design would look wonderful on such and such a quilt. I figure it will be a good way to learn how to use the CL and play with all the designs at the same time make a neat sampler quilt. Still have to finish the quilt on the frame first. So if I want to play this weekend I better get busy and finish what is on the frame, Although, I do have zippers now soooooo, Oh now I am getting ideas I better go finish that quilt before CL gets here. lol:P:P

Jeanne,

I have no idea what weight it is other than 20 yards weighs a lot and can force your baggage over the weight limit! LOL you should have seen me having to empty my bag! It was on sale for $2 a yd so how could I go wrong? I would say it is just a general weight bridal satin. I was really surprised at how soft it got once it was washed. Really nice. On the back I used cotton.

You know what looks really good too is Quilters Sateen. Use it with a thread of the same color. (Not my idea...Dawn's of course). The quilter's sateen has enough...not really sheen, but softness or something, the samplers look beautiful! I bought a bolt at FabriQuilt for $1 a yard....I know you all that live a long way away can't do that...but, I'm just saying....it is 120" wide so it is going a long, long way.

Originally posted by Mary Beth

I bought a bolt at FabriQuilt for $1 a yard....I know you all that live a long way away can't do that...but, I'm just saying....it is 120" wide so it is going a long, long way.

$1.00 yd???? wow, I have been wanting to get some, just haven't gotten around to it. I have an account with them and I think wholesale they want $8 or $9.00 yd. How'd you do that? Next time they have that price, you want to get me some?;)

Patty,

They sometimes has bins in the warehouse of fabric that is seconds. I purchased this bolt at that price because it had a very faint...kind of pin stipe. I didn't care, because I wanted it for samples. You almost can't see the line, but it was enough that they didn't want to send it out. FabriQuilt is getting ready to have an open house they always have great sales then. Richlin Fabrics and FabriQuilt are just down the street from each other...they are having their yearly open house sale next Thrusday and Friday - tons of fabric for $1 or $1.50 per yard. Lots of clearance stuff...you all should come and visit me....we could go shopping.

Originally posted by Mary Beth

Patty,

FabriQuilt is getting ready to have an open house they always have great sales then. Richlin Fabrics and FabriQuilt are just down the street from each other...they are having their yearly open house sale next Thrusday and Friday - tons of fabric for $1 or $1.50 per yard. Lots of clearance stuff...you all should come and visit me....we could go shopping.

I think it is time to road trip to Mary Beth's!!!

Road trip would be fun! Can't do it now though. :(

JoleneK and I (and maybe LisaFL) are planning to go to MQS next year. We briefly talked about driving and stopping in Paducah for a night then on to KC. Could we shop then at Fabriquilt?? Take a trip to the warehouse someday during MQS?

Originally posted by Katydids

Road trip would be fun! Can't do it now though. :(

JoleneK and I (and maybe LisaFL) are planning to go to MQS next year. We briefly talked about driving and stopping in Paducah for a night then on to KC. Could we shop then at Fabriquilt?? Take a trip to the warehouse someday during MQS?

It could be arranged ;) I'm in kahoots (sp?) with the plant manager guy...so we might get a guided tour. We took Linda Card, Debbi and Jeanne R. there (I think that was it), and he took us all over the plant. Very cool.

Archived