Maxilock Cone Thread

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ditto Marlette,

I think MaxiLock is cheap looking and I was given a few cones, won't use it for anything as I don't have serger. I think the thread just finishes the quilt and I get lots of compliments on my thread. I only use Superior threads, the cost is not an issue as I put a thread charge on my invoice, so I'm recuping the cost of the thread. Plus with a resale number I buy wholesale from Superior and the thread charge more than pays for the thread.

I do a lot of charity quilts and I want those to be my best work. I still use good quality fabric and thread but just use a simpler design in both the piecing and quilting, for time sakes.

Originally posted by Marlette

Ladies, Maxi-Lock is serger thread and meant for that because a serger uses 3-5 threads. I know a lot of LAmers use it because it is cheap. If you haven't had problems, good for you.

If you look in a serger you will see a lot of lint and it's not all from fabric. If you are meticulous about cleaning your machine everyday you might get away with using it. It is, however, a weaker thread when compared to a regular sewing thread or LA cone thread.

It is also a thicker thread so if you use it for piecing your 1/4" seam isn't accurate as it takes up more room when you press your SA to one side.

Try this experiment: Sew a seam with MaxiLock and another with a quality sewing thread like Mettler. Then, try ripping the seam apart. Does the MaxiLock rip easier? I find that it does.

Consider the time spent on making a quilt and the cost of the fabrics. Wouldn't you want to piece and quilt with as good a quality thread as your fabric.

Marlette, I have some other cone serger thread that produces a HUGE amount of lint, but I find the MaxiLock produces almost none. And it doesn't rip easily at all for me. :P Wish it did as I HATE ripping.

I've used it in the bobbin since I started longarming 5 yrs ago and the quilts from back then are still going strong thread wise. Even on the one that has the fabrics on top literally worn through from use, the Rainbows thread on top and Maxi on the bottom are perfect.

I guess it is another of those different strokes for different folks.

i agree with tracey-...

also, let me clarify- i don't use maxi-lock to piece or for applique. only for machine quilting.

i have used it pretty exclusively since i started LAing (almost 6 yrs ago), and i had a quilt i used ML on, and it took second in a national show....i have quilts, as stated, that i've quilted for myself and have no problems with....i don't pay attention to whether it's 2 or 3 ply....*shrug* it works for me....but i do VERY dense custom quilting with a shorter stitch length (13-14 spi) with warm and nat batt, maybe the combination of all that is what makes it work well for me...

but, i'll be perfectly honest (and i'm not saying this to get any feathers ruffled) i'm tired of some (SOME) LAers rolling their eyes when i mention i use maxi lock....i don't roll my eyes when someone does something differently than me that works for them. i think it's rude. my cusomers are happy so i'm happy, and i've never had one ask what thread i use...

it's like some can get YLI to run in their machines, i can't, nemo hates it, as well as 100%cotton...

i'm going get off the thread soapbox and go doodle... :)

Ditto Shannon. Maxi lock is good thread and works very well in my lenni and in both my Brother and my Janome. Once, quilted it is stable and attractive. As for the lint....Maxi is 100% poly so some of the lint is probably being pulled up from the cotton batting. The only reason I don't use it in the bobbin is because it requires so many bobbin changes as it is thick.

For anyone considering placing an order with this company for the $1.80 maxi-lock thread they offer this free item!!!

The Spool Tree

THIS ITEM IS FREE WHEN YOU BUY 40 CONES OR MORE OF MAXI-LOCK THREAD! You pick the colors.

The tangle free way to organize and store your spools or cones of thread. Keeps your favorite colors at your finger tips. The spool Tree has 40 spindles each capable of holding one cone of thread or two spools of thread. The Spool Tree is 16" high and is mounted on a 5" square swivel base that easily fits on your sewing cabinet.

http://store.atlantathread.com/maxilock.html?gclid=CIf495TOv5wCFRIcawodCU3knQ

not to beat a dead horse (just slap it around a bit) i did some research....

this has been discussed before on here i'm sure *wink*

maxi lock is made by American & Efrid based in mt holly, nc. guess what other thread they make? that's right: signature. for the perma-core folks, A&E makes that too.

and they make Kevlar thread that is used in bullet proof vests....ykk zippers, mettler thread....not much in thread they DON"T make...

just FYI.

http://www.amefird.com/consumer_division_products.htm

i also like their complany motto:

"sewing is more than the sum of it's stitches."

could easily switch out 'sewing' and put 'a quilt'

Yes, this has been brought up before....and yes you are so right that A&E, Inc is a good company....another one not to be forgotten and poopooed, is Coats and Clark. Yes, I just heard all the thread police growl...and roll their eyes.

I can't tell you how many of my customer quilts have been quilted with either Star, or the general all purpose Dual Duty Coats and Clarks....and many of them also have taken local quilt show awards.

I would have to run to WalMart at 2am in the morning and gather up all the larger spools of a color and run to the studio and quilt all night to have a quilt done by 8am...have NEVER had one fall apart or have the threads tear the fabrics. By the way for a queen sized quilt not to tight it takes 6 large spools to do a quilt top and bottom threads.;):P

Buy what you can afford and WHAT works for you....if your machine likes it, then its a good thread.....you don't have to buy the most expensive threads to have a successful quilt, its all in if your machine likes it or not. Lucky me I can use just about anything, but I still find myself turning back to my roots of Maxi-Lock, Star, YLI, Perma-Core, Signature, and then if and when I get the chance to get to MQX I stock up on Superior Threads...and such. The best Metallic is Superior in my opinion...but then its what works for me, I can't get the others to work well in the LA.

hey bonnie- i use coats and clark's all purpose for my hand applique it disappears perfectly. and i use their machine quilting thread (cotton) to piece with in my vintage machines (they like a thicker thread- my girl hated aurifil)

so i guess what i'm saying is: these days price doesn't always reflect quality....:cool:

Originally posted by doodlebug

so i guess what i'm saying is: these days price doesn't always reflect quality....:cool:

That is so true....I think that is why I keep going back to what I know works...and it doesn't cost me the bank or any profits to be successfu.:cool:

I'm enjoying hearing all the opinions on this subject. I've just made the decision to switch jobs to have more time w/the kids and taking a pay cut to do that. DH is getting a pay cut as well b/c the farm is not doing well. It's so close to being in the red that the heat from the books is causing a heat wave here on the farm!! lol;)

Milk prices are down and feed prices are up - just doesn't seem fair sometimes since the prices at the market arent' down!:mad:

Sorry to vent but we both know and accept that this is part of life and we'll make it w/the good Lord's help. Thanks for listening.

I use Maxi Lock to piece with, never thought to use it in the longarm, mostly because I didn't know it came in so many colors...so I learned something new with this discussion.

However I would never say I wouldn't use it in my Liberty...if the ecconomy keeps making us squeeze our belts more and more I am sure there will be alot more people going this route...If I am not mistaken I believe superior raised their prices 2 times last year and it is making it a lot more difficult to turn a decent profit using their threads. :(

Lately I am all about keeping costs down so I can keep doing what I like to do (quilting as a business).

"Quilting is all about personal preverence, there is no right or wrong as long as you are happy with the outcome." :cool:

Wow, you like it or you don't like it. For myself, I like it. When I started quilting in 94, I used to use all those tex40's and such. About a year later I found this thread called Maxi-lock. It tried it and it worked well with my shortarm. I found that I could buy more thread this way then I could with the tex40. I'm not putting down the tex40, because it is wonderful thread and I still use it. I just found that the Maxi-lock had many colors and it was inexpensive. I won't call it a cheap thread, due to the fact that it is not. I quilt with the thread. I piece together my quilts with. And I bind with it. None of the following has ever happened: quilting didn't come apart, piecing didn't come loose or become separated, binding didn't stay bound. The quilts that we have made are still intact, even after being washed 100 times or more, or the quilt being used as a sled for the dog in the backyard. The quilts are in great shape even when the quilt has been to the park and used as a place setting or at the beach to cuddle up in when it's cold. No one can tell me that Maxi-lock is a cheap thread, because I have grandkids that can prove it with the own quilts that we have made for them. zeke..........................

Originally posted by Linda G. Craig

How far does a spool of Maxilock go? I think I'd like to give it a try. If I'm doing a queen size quilt, with a medium amount of quilting, nothing fancy, what would you look to having on hand for that job?

Linda, Yes, it goes a LONG LONG ways....I thinks with using top and bottom threads on the same quilt, I've done say 3-4 queen sized quilts with thread left over on the spool. NOW note I don't always quilt as dense as Shannon, but still a lot of thread on each quilt.

This quilt lives on my sister's bed in Montana...its been washed at least 15 times and she has had it now for at least 10 years....its looks as good today as it did the day I gave it to her, and it was sewn totally with Maxi-Lock, in three color changes of White/Black/Red threads.

post--13461902466102_thumb.jpg

You get what you pay for. Maxilock may work, but I don't think it will hold up over time and washing. I think if you spend money on good fabric and batting (we all complain about some of the cheap batts) why do you want to shortcut on the thread. It may run in the machines, but will it hold up as well as a better thread. Strength of thread does not only come from the amount of plys, it comes from the twist of the plys together. I've been told serger threads, in general, don't have as many twists per inch (or however they measure it). I won't run it. I also don't like (and will not ever use again) the Coats & Clark varigated. Yuck.

Archived