Maxilock Cone Thread

I am mainly a charity quilter and saw this thread for a very good price at Joannes. Has anyone used this???? I do not want to make something that falls apart when washed.

My current quilts are going to families of our military who are killed in action. I imagine they will be washed alot as some are for the children or maybe used over top of a table to hide under?????

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i too use maxi-lock (top and bobbin). i get mine at Hancock's. JoAnn's usta carry it, but they are stpping.

i was emailed a link to a thread supplier here in Atlanta (thanks beth) they have it one sale: $1.80 cone

http://store.atlantathread.com/maxilock.html

it's great for charity quilts because of the price. i've used it in quilts that get used (and i mean used: a fiance, two dogs, and a cat) and have never had an issue with the thread breaking so that quilting comes out, etc.

i think that if the thread breaks to the point of stitches coming undone, it means your stitch length is too long.

JMHO

Well, this is not a popular thing, I think but I like to run NEBs in the bobbin. Especially the ones that have the nearly invisible embroidery bobbin thread on them. You can see the texture on the back but not the stitches that much. You can go a zillion miles before you have change bobbins. But the NEBs don't come in but white and smoke so that is a downside. Thanks, Shannon for the link. I do like this stuff and it looks good on the quilt too.

Wow--this is good news. It is a little less than $3 for a 3,000 yd cone on Joannes online. I was confused because it said serger thread but thought I had read somewhere that long armers use it.

I machine quilted 3 quilts for one family today of a soldier killed. His wife---unborn child and 2 year old boy. They are trimmed and ready for binding. I LOVE my HQ.

Thanks for all your help.

Wow!!! I have a lot of Maxi-lock thread, I have only used it in piecing and applique's. I never thought of using on my quilting machine. I just figured it would never work for quilting, being that it is so cheap; just didn't think it would be strong enough. The timing of this post is funny; my daughter came over today to get everything ready to quilt her second quilt, She is going to start on it tomorrow. I told her to pick out her thread and that it was in the upper left cabinet, she picked out the maxi-lock thread in the upper right cabinet. She was disapointed when I said that was not quilting thread, because the color matched her quilt better than what I had for quilting thread. She will be happy when I tell her we can use it now. Thanks everyone!!!

Originally posted by SueinScottsdale

I like the Maxi-Lock Swirls thread. My Millie loves it and I've had no problems other than I can't get it at JoAnn's anymore. There is a LQS that carries it, but it is quite a bit more expensive.

I love varigated, but the Swirls thread has such a long repeat that it makes it look, to me, that the stitching stops and starts up again. That's why I love Rainbows so much. It's such a quick/short repeat that it looks like it's meant to be that way. I hope that made sense :P

Thanks for the Link Shannon!!!! I was wondering where I was going to get my Maxi Loc now that I can't just pick it up at Joanns. I still get it online from them, but they don't always have to colors I use.

Ladies, Maxi-Lock is serger thread and meant for that because a serger uses 3-5 threads. I know a lot of LAmers use it because it is cheap. If you haven't had problems, good for you.

If you look in a serger you will see a lot of lint and it's not all from fabric. If you are meticulous about cleaning your machine everyday you might get away with using it. It is, however, a weaker thread when compared to a regular sewing thread or LA cone thread.

It is also a thicker thread so if you use it for piecing your 1/4" seam isn't accurate as it takes up more room when you press your SA to one side.

Try this experiment: Sew a seam with MaxiLock and another with a quality sewing thread like Mettler. Then, try ripping the seam apart. Does the MaxiLock rip easier? I find that it does.

Consider the time spent on making a quilt and the cost of the fabrics. Wouldn't you want to piece and quilt with as good a quality thread as your fabric.

Archived